Removing NB47J from mobo - how difficult is it?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Removing NB47J from mobo - how difficult is it?

Post by Tzupy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:09 am

I just got my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and would like to replace the chipset HSF with a Zalman NB47J (applied with the thermal grease that comes with it). I would also like to replace the NB47J later, when I'll have a better option (Thermalright NB-1 or a nForce4-SLI chipset heatsink that I'm going to build - a prototype). Would I have problems removing the NB47J from the motherboard?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:00 am

No. You simply need to access the back of the motherboard to get to the push pins holding it on. Easy on easy off.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:15 pm

I know it sounds like a silly question, but my point is if the thermal grease would become strongly glued to the heatsink and chipset. I have a NB32J installed with thermal grease on my current NF7-S, but never had to remove it, so I have no idea what can happen (I just want to play safe)...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:43 pm

IIRC the NB32J comes with thermal epoxy only and the NB47J comes with thermal grease and clips. So that is a whole different ballpark.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:44 pm

I've heard people say that the thermal grease becomes a glue over time, and can even rip out a CPU from its socket. I've never seen this happen personally, but I think it has less to do with the grease gluing up, and more with people trying to pull the heatsink straight up. Think about it: if you have a good contact between the heatsink and chip, then the thermal grease will have squeezed out all the air bubbles. Then, when you try to remove the heatsink, you're working against the vacuum you've created. This can happen right after you install the heatsink--you don't need to wait a long time for the thermal grease to dry up. I recently installed a NB47J with Ceramique, then immediately tried to remove it. Though the heatsink freely slid back and forth along the grease, it didn't want to go up at all. I had to wiggle and twist the heatsink to get it loose, and then it came right off.

So, as long as you get some air under the heatsink, I don't think there's any risk of dislodging the chip. If the heatsink does appear to stick, then twist or wedge the heatsink so that you unseal the vacuum. Then the heatsink should come right off.

Now, maybe someone with more experience installing heatsinks has actually seen this grease->glue thing happen, and can say whether or not it has to do with the vacuum seal between the heatsink and chip.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:56 pm

Thank you for your answers.
Just FYI, the NB32J cam with clips, thermal grease and 'thermal A + B'.
I used both the clips and the grease, but I have no intention to remove the NB32J from the NF7-S (that mobo goes away anyway). The effects of removing the NB47J from the chipset of my new A8N-SLI were worrying, but now I am more confident.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm

If the grease with the Zalman northbridges is the same stuff as with the Zalman 7000 coolers than it will turn to dust, not to glue.

I removed a 7000-AlCu, that had been sitting on a Prescott since last may, a few weeks ago. I could almost clean the HS by blowing the grease away. Only the thicker patches that had been squeezed out between the IHS and the CPU where still grease and not dust.

v3n

Post by v3n » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:34 am

I removed mine when i did the SLI mod and it came out very easy but i used arctic sliver 5 as the compound

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:33 pm

Just put together today the new system (well, most of it): Antec SLK3000B, Antec Neopower 480, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Winnie 3200, XP-90, MSI 6600GT (soon to be equipped with Aerocool VM-101). I should have the Thermalright NB-1 in about a week, so until then I'll bear the horrible stock chipset HSF.
v3n, CAS 2-2-2 at 240, that's impressive! But at 3.2V, oh dear... I hope that memory can take so much.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:53 pm

I've removed numerous NB47's and NB32's. They come off rather easy. Half the time I just pinch the tabs with my fingers.

And v3n's using OCZ VX. It's guaranteed safe and warranty's good up to 3.6v ;)

mshan

Post by mshan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:09 pm

"I've heard people say that the thermal grease becomes a glue over time, and can even rip out a CPU from its socket."

This just happened to me and scared the hell out of me.

I had a Zalman CNPS 7700 AlCu and P4 3.0c interfaced with Artic Silver Ceramique (in system for less than 2 weeks) and when I attempted to gently yet firmly remove the heatsink from the cpu, I pulled off the heatsink and the cpu was stuck (glued is probably a better word) to the heat sink. I had tried to twist slightly, but primarily lifted upwards, and luckily none of the pins got bent or worse.*

Getting the cpu off of the Zalman was also an adventure, for it felt like it was literally glued there. I ended up using a little isoprophyl alcohol to loosen things up and they eventually separated (no damage, thank god!).

If I had to do it again, I think I would leave my system on a while, then quickly shut it down and unplug everything, then try and separate the cpu from heatsink while everything is warm.

* I've never had a problem with Ceramique and my AMD Athlon XP. I think the combo of that p4 heatspreader and cold, solid TIM created a tremendous suction between heatsink and cpu.