Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu May 05, 2005 5:51 pm

thanks for the link.
still looks quite promising.
I think it may be worth waiting another month for this thing

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun May 29, 2005 4:03 pm

shg.biz and probably shg.dk lists them and says they will have them in stock at June 10. 308 SEK, and 394 SEK for the one with fan speed controller. Decent prices, maybe because they're Danish. :wink:

Nightwatch

Post by Nightwatch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:17 am

Anyone using this HSF yet?
If so, what is your impression?

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:39 am

My First Post :)
Nightwatch wrote:Anyone using this HSF yet?
If so, what is your impression?
on my X2 3800 with the exteme variant of this HS and the stock fan (92mm fan at ~3000 RPM) it keeps the temps at 31C @ idle and 44C with two cpuburn processes running.

Gripes - noisy fan that rattles and wooshes in part due to the plastic(!) shroud-like mounting to the HS. Speedfan helps, but I don't seem to be able to keep the fan constantly on (at low revs), or have it gradually ramp up (probably some setting I've overlooked in speedfan).

I'm still investigating my options but I have found that the resistor pack that zalman do to slow fans down works well (quiet) enough for me. Panaflo fan and zalman northbridge HS (nforce4 boards are noisy!!) are on the way.

Sadly it seems that the Nforce4 boards that I've seen don't have PWM capable fan headers (i.e. 4 pin fan headers) so undervolting / extra resistance seems to be my only options.

-Quikkie (silencing newbie)

Nightwatch

Post by Nightwatch » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:59 am

Thanks,
I take it those temps are substantially cooler than with your stock HSF?

Nightwatch

Post by Nightwatch » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:02 am

P.S,
Welcome to your newest addiction!

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:22 am

I can't tell you what the stock cooler temperatures are, because I specified this cooler as part of the system build. This is the first computer I've had built for me, the previous three I built myself...

As for noise I still have some work to do
  • on the antec slk3800 with some vibration,
    sealing up of vents and such
    the nforce4 chipset cooling and
    replacing the fan on the heatsink
after that I may try my hand at HDD suspension... so, umm, I might even manage to fit in a little gaming - which is what I bought this rig for!

For those who are vaguely interested I got the Gladiator Computers Trident X2-3800 rig with the antec slk3800 case/PSU and the asetek HSF.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:03 am

here's a review of the Asestek Vapochill Micro (Ultra low noise) as compared to the stock amd cooler clicky

From the point of view of noise this review is no good - it mentions that the cooler is quiet however there are no quantative readings of the noise level. What it does give you is the temperature differences between this cooler and the stock AMD cooler at idle and running prime95 both at stock frequencies and while overclocked.

From my own experiences with this cooler and a stock 92mm panaflo M1A speed controlled by the BIOS, this cooler never lets the CPU (in my case a X2-3800) go above 45C (two cpuburn instances or similar)

I'd have no problems recommend this cooler as an quiet-on-a-budget cooler, similar to the Arctic Cooling Freezer

-Quikkie

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 am