Screensaver-Wake causes CPU temp peak!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Screensaver-Wake causes CPU temp peak!

Post by as530 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:14 am

My 3000+ Winchester is happily cooled with a fanless XP-120, and idles at 29-35 deg, depending on ambient. But when i move my mouse after a few hours, and it wakes from screensaver and i enter the password, the CPU temp jumps from around 30 to almost 60deg, then rapidly falls. NB: this is with no programs running (only normal ones like firewall, tiny systray utilities etc)

Why should waking from screensave cause such a huge jump in CPU temps? and are these regular peaks up to 55-odd degrees damaging?

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:05 am

Is the screensaver a blank screen, or graphical?

Blank screen shouldn't cause a jump.

What are the chances that on screensaver it's running hot due to graphics, but the temp doesn't update until it wakes from slumber?

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 am

My CPU sports a similar behavior and I'd guess it is because the tempdiode is close to the die and is heavily affected by small changes in powerusage.
wooglin wrote:What are the chances that on screensaver it's running hot due to graphics, but the temp doesn't update until it wakes from slumber?
I do not think so, I have abit k8v third eye and the myGuruClock isn't really affected by the powerstate of the computer.

OR, since we do not know the motherboard of as530:), it is a problem with the abit "third-eye" mobo:s which makes the temp-readings very volatile...

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:19 pm

hi, my mobo is as in my sig - A8N-SLi deluxe. The screensaver is a blank screen. I get the impression that the CPU is cool while the screensaver is engaged, but it's the waking procedure that causes the peak. When I wake from screensaver, the temp is initially cool (in the 30s) but after a few seconds (presumably on the next temp update) it shoots up to around 60. I don't see what's so processor-intensive about redrawing the screen.

how mysterious....

anybody else had similar problems? also, any ideas on whether such rapid jumps are damaging to the CPU? I believe they are genuine, because it takes a good 5 minutes for the temp to come back down to normal idle temps.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Five minutes to cool down? More like five seconds for me. My CPU changes temp with up to 5-10 degrees C per second. As I said, I think that the sensor is really sensitive to small changes in powerusage.

The sigs doesn't enter the post a reply-screen:)

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Temperatures don't change suddenly unless there's a big difference between hot or cold (or you get a tiny chip!). It's definitely your sensor being extremely sensitive - or guessing temperature based on load, perhaps? Would be interesting...

ilh

Post by ilh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:31 pm

My 3500+ changes CPU temperatures almost instantaneously up and down. With CnQ idle, I see 20C. Within a second of load it will go up to 28-30C, and a few seconds later 34C. It will also drop rapidly too.

Why shouldn't the CPU core itself change temperature rapidly? There are large power changes going on in a very small area.

Temperature changes outside the core (e.g., on heatsink) would be MUCH slower.

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:02 pm

hi all, as i said, i don't think it's a sensor hypersensitivity issue, because the temp decreases gradually over a period of five minutes; the initial few degrees drop rapidly, as one would expect, but thereafter it's a very gradual decline to idle temps, which makes me think it's a genuine temp increase.

phuntism

Maybe you're undercover folding

Post by phuntism » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:29 pm

Maybe your computers are actually doing something when Windows engages the screensaver, (folding, spamming, whatever). Try leaving the Task Manager's performance tab up next time so when you come back from screensaver, you can see whether or not your computer was actually idling or not.

If it turns out you are idling during the screensaver, then look at the task manager processes tab and sort by the 'CPU' column to see what is causing all the comotion.