*Update* Using Zalman HS´s with motherboard backplate!!!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

filete

*Update* Using Zalman HS´s with motherboard backplate!!!

Post by filete » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:20 am

Hi,
I have the K8V SE Deluxe motherboard, and like most of the guys,
I want to install a Zalman 7000´s/7700´s HS without having to mess with a hairdryer or any tool to take off the mobo backplate
(with the risk of having a dead mobo at the end!)

Well, after talking with some people, I made a deeper research and look what I found in Zalman website about this issue!
(info from February 2005):
There have been no reported problems regarding compatibility between the CNPS7700-Cu and the ASUS A8V Deluxe when using our backplate. But, we do recommend that CNPS7700-Cu be installed on the ASUS A8V Deluxe with the backplate provided with the motherboard.

According to AMD's official design guide, motherboard manufacturers MUST not put electric components that contact the backplate at the back side of a motherboard. However, Zalman will make efforts to minimize customers' inconvenience by searching for & informing of such motherboards.

If you would like to use the A8V Deluxe motherboard's original backplate with the the CNPS7700-Cu, please refer to following procedures.
1. Remove the retention frame only, and place the CNPS7700-Cu at the center of the CPU.
2. Screw in the original bolts provided with the motherboard, then tighten each bolt a few turns at a time while alternating between
the two until the distance between the motherboard and the bottom of the L-Type grips is 13.5mm.
TIP : You can easily check the 13.5mm distance by placing the CNPS7700's "AMD64 nipple" between the motherboard and
the bottom of the L-Type grips as shown below.

This info was sign from Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN and refers to 7700´s models,
but I am sure it works with 7000´s models.
I hope this will help members to decide what procedure to take!
I myself, will go this way!!
:D

RonG

Post by RonG » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 am

Or you could do what I did and use motherboard standoffs screwed into the posts of the backplane.

Cosine

Post by Cosine » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Or just use the blowdryer trick, worked great for me, took all of two minutes.

Cos

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:02 pm

When Zalman first offered the CNPS 7000 (before A and B versions), a replacement backplate was not provided for AMD motherboards. Instead, shorter nipples were provided to work with the stock backplate. At one time Zalman support offered these shorter nipples at no charge to customers who requested them. I would like to know why these parts are not provided as standard issue. The installation shown above appears inferior.

filete

Post by filete » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:05 pm

At one time Zalman support offered these shorter nipples at no charge to customers who requested them. I would like to know why these parts are not provided as standard issue.
Yes, i asked for the shorter nipples, but until today no answer...
So I guess they dont have them anymore!
:wink:

Project

Post by Project » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:42 pm

i had a backplate on my mobo, it was tough to remove by hand, i thought it was like permanently stuck, i just used a letter opener, smoother sides, and shoved it beween the board and the backplate. Popped right off!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:13 pm

Project wrote:i had a backplate on my mobo, it was tough to remove by hand, i thought it was like permanently stuck, i just used a letter opener, smoother sides, and shoved it beween the board and the backplate. Popped right off!
that gluey stuff on ati heatsinks, i tried freezing, didnt work, blowdryer very warm not super hot, then P L I NK !!!! flew off with pressure. gota say, screw this, and BAM make it fly off. no damage ever so far since i first risked it on different things.

drsky

Installing the Zalman 7700 with original backplate

Post by drsky » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 am

I used the method of the MB standoffs and MB screws. It worked like a champ and the height can be adjusted using the MB washers that are used with the standoffs. After matching the height with the Zalman supplied nipples, the MB screws can be tightened rather than using the Zalman screws and leaving open the possibility of the fan working itself loose. :)