Thermaltake Typhoon 12cm fan heatpipe CPU Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GLO

Thermaltake Typhoon 12cm fan heatpipe CPU Cooler

Post by GLO » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:02 am

Anyone tried the thermaltake Typhoon? Or think it would work better than a Zalman CNPS 7000 or 7700???

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:20 am

:roll: Searching the forum would have yielded the following threads:So, prepare for this thread to to get locked as well.

GLO

Post by GLO » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 am

both threads typically refer back to Thermalright si97.

This is different, plus im asking about how it would compare to the Zalman.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:07 am

Well, in a nutshell, the Typhoon is mostly a Thermal-Right rip-off executed poorly... that is the general consensus that is reached in the second thread I linked, which IMO directly applies to your question. The SI-97 is mentioned, but there are also similarities between the Typhoon and the XP-90/XP-120. I did not mean to come off as having an attitude though...

I have no idea on how the two would compare, but judging from the pictures and the usual quality of Tt products I think you'd be a lot better off with the Zalman. Their standard fans are not too quiet and swapping them is a bit involved, so you might want to consider an appropriate Thermal-Right cooler with a good fan instead, even though that quality comes at a price.

GLO

Post by GLO » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm

thanks Teejay,

After looking at Thermalright products, i think the XP120 is quite similar.

Presently i have the Zalman CNPS7000Cu in a htpc desktop case and its very dusty, hence i am looking for an alternative solution that would get clogged up. Yet keep cooling quiet and effective.

nathan_Chan168

Post by nathan_Chan168 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:53 pm

the thermalright xp120 would be much better than this one
the extra fins inbetween the heat pipes will help cool very much

if you were thinking of getting this heatsink, i would suggest you rather go with the silverstone nt01

-nathan

GLO

Post by GLO » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi Nathan,

How does the Silvertone nt01 compare to the Thermalright.

Im using a P4 3.0c Ghz cpu in a Silverstone LC03V case.

nathan_Chan168

Post by nathan_Chan168 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:44 pm

i dont know
i can tell u how the Nt01 compares with a stock p4 heatsink/cooler

the silverstone is pretty good, but if i were to decide again i think i wouldev went with the thermalright

the one thing i like about the silverstone is that i have a 92mm fan at the back of my case sucking the air out,
it helped cool my mb temps as well since its sucking the hot air out thru the heatsink.

i hooked the fan up to the sunbeam fan controller. (the fan controller is awsome) and cpu temperatures arent that great.

Im using OCZ ultra 5+ on my p4 2.4ghz non ht. (yes, its pretty weak sauce) and right now im getting 38cpu 35mb with the fan turned half way down. the lowest temps i got were ~34C on the cpu with the fan at max speed (i think its a 57cfm fan)
the air coming out of the 92mm fan isnt warm, its cool but the cpu temp is still 39-40ish. Touching the heatsink its warm.
thats the main problem with the nt01 its always going to be warm at the contact point, no matter if the fins/pipes are cool or not. It is difficult to cool the part of the heatsink touching the cpu
that being said, the nt01 is probably a great heatsink/cooler for higher end systems.

This is what i figure,
Say your cpu is generally around the 35C-55C range stock
the nt01 will keep the range to around 40-50
so in other words, the hotter ur cpu gets the better the nt01 performs, relatively that is.

anyway, sorry if its hard to understand my english. Its exam week and im tired. dont want to proof read :D
lemme know if u gots any questions i could help with.

-nathan

halfpower

Re: Thermaltake Typhoon 12cm fan heatpipe CPU Cooler

Post by halfpower » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:40 pm

GLO wrote:Anyone tried the thermaltake Typhoon? Or think it would work better than a Zalman CNPS 7000 or 7700???
With all those fins I would think it could dump heat very quickly. Does anyone know it the long copper heat pipes on the Big Typhoon will carry the same heat flux as the shorter aluminum ones on an XP-120? One potential issue with the Typhoon is the height and mass. Its 103mm and 813g. The XP-120 is 63mm high and weighs only 370g. I imagine that the Big Typhoon exerts FAR more TORQUE on the motherboard than the XP-120. It is funny that chip manufacturers (and motherboard manufacturers?) have a mass limit for the heat sink and fan assembly, when torque is as, if not more, important.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:19 pm

halfpower wrote:Does anyone know it the long copper heat pipes on the Big Typhoon will carry the same heat flux as the shorter aluminum ones on an XP-120?
The heatpipes in the XP-120 are not made of aluminium. They are nickel plated copper.

GLO

Post by GLO » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:59 pm

halfpower wrote:With all those fins I would think it could dump heat very quickly. Does anyone know it the long copper heat pipes on the Big Typhoon will carry the same heat flux as the shorter aluminum ones on an XP-120? One potential issue with the Typhoon is the height and mass. Its 103mm and 813g. The XP-120 is 63mm high and weighs only 370g. I imagine that the Big Typhoon exerts FAR more TORQUE on the motherboard than the XP-120.
Thats what i was thinking! but the PC isnt being moved around like a laptop so i guess it should be less of an issue( the weight that it)

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:55 am

GLO wrote:
I imagine that the Big Typhoon exerts FAR more TORQUE on the motherboard than the XP-120.
Thats what i was thinking! but the PC isnt being moved around like a laptop so i guess it should be less of an issue( the weight that it)
True. The design of the backplate might also make a big difference.

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:01 am

halfpower wrote:Does anyone know it the long copper heat pipes on the Big Typhoon will carry the same heat flux as the shorter aluminum ones on an XP-120?
Actually I think the heatpipe model that has heat flowing though the pipe is a little sketchy. I'm thinking that the whole heat sink acts as a reservoir that is filled(at the base) by the processor and emptied(at the fins) by the fan.

Grubert

Post by Grubert » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:55 pm

Found a positive review here.

Kwiet

Post by Kwiet » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:16 pm

Read the review, very interesting although they had an oxymoron in there. One of the pros was listed as "light weight" followed by the weight listed at 813 grams! :shock:

I would like to see a competition between the XP120 and the Typhoon just for fun. The XP120 will still win by weight but it would be interesting. It might beat the SI97 but I don't think I would want to strap a cooler that large and tall on a bare core Socket A CPU. :!:

GLO

Post by GLO » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:17 pm

yeah, i'd be very interested to see a comparo between the XP120 and the Typhoon! In a desktop case.

Id also like to see the measure with the 120mm fan sucking the air through the heat sink (and maybe straight out of the case!!!)

SPCR hint hint!!! :D

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:38 pm

GLO wrote:SPCR hint hint!!! :D
My opinion, don't count on it. It has densely packed fins, which I think, if it's given a much stronger fan, should make it to trounce an XP-120, but it's probably not very usefull for us. Plus it's horribly heavy, with a far centre of mass.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:16 am

The way that the review said it was pushing the graphics card, that already takes it off my possible shopping list even without being super heavy.

Webfire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Webfire » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:11 pm

Well I found a (german) review which compares the Typhoon and XP-120.
http://www.tweakers4u.de/artikel/therma ... 5,,716.htm

With a Noiseblocker SX1 on 5V the Typhoon beats the XP-120 by 7°C at load.
Come on guys, it can't be so bad, like almost all of you say. I know it's quite heavy but I have not yet heard of someone with problems with such heavy coolers.
It's just too funny with SPCR and Thermaltake products, they get bashed without even seeing test results.

Edit: The fan coming with the Big Typhoon is a Yate Loon D12SL-12. Probably one of the best fans avaiable at the moment.

Looks like Thermaltake learned their lesson.

GLO

Post by GLO » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 pm

fantastic find... now i just gotta read it!

I dont know why Thermaltake cops it. I supose they are suspected of copying? But, hey i dont hear anyone complaining about the hundreds of fans in the market?

Personally, i use Zalman, but am looking how i can exhaust the heat from the CPU heatsink straight out of the case, which is why im looking at these other options!
Last edited by GLO on Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:21 pm

If exhaust ducting is the only reason you are looking at a different heatsink, then I think you should read:
Ducted Zalman 7000CU on Athlon 64-3000 w/Countercurrent Flow Cooling.
Could save you some money.

Grubert

Post by Grubert » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:52 am

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/ ... index.html

http://www.amdplanet.it/archivio/articoli/96/1 (in Italian)

http://www.hardkorehardware.com/review/011/bt.htm

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=134

The last one is especially interesting for this forum, as test setup was rather silence-oriented and concludes by saying:
What can I say except I am impressed, the cooler was silent and performed well and was just as it said on the packaging. I did expect higher temps on the load side of things but I was proved wrong and the cooler managed a very impressive 43.5 under load on the die, now for a cooler that is only 16dB in sound that is an excellent result. Would I recommend it, well I would be stupid not to, it performs and does exactly what Thermaltake say it does and is one of the best fan coolers I have tested recently, especially with its low noise. Yeh ok the load temp don’t look that impressive to most but as I said in the testing, it was tested in I silent pc that has 2x 120mm fans at very low speeds and no fans at all on the PSU.

krage

Post by krage » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:13 am

Grubert wrote:Found a positive review here.
Anyone else find it amusing that this review lists "Light Weight" in the Pros column while listing the 813g in the spec section? :lol:

Grubert

Post by Grubert » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:34 am

krage wrote:
Grubert wrote:Found a positive review here.
Anyone else find it amusing that this review lists "Light Weight" in the Pros column while listing the 813g in the spec section? :lol:
Forum member Kweit said so, a full week before you. :lol:

kamina

Post by kamina » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 am

I've read alot about people getting better results with the big typhoon after lapping it. I finally had a moment to test (quickly) and it seems to be quite true. While it seemed to look fairly straight, it was quickly aparent that the center of the heatsinks bottom was lower then the edges.

I did'nt have good tools for lapping it, so I decided not to take alot off. Even after a moments shaving my temps went down 6c (not even taking into acount the tim settling.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:06 am

i dont think anyone here really doubts its cooling abilities (after all, its a thermalright design :P )

however the combination of a piss poor fan with the most densly spaced fins on the planet make this an unwise choice for a silent pc

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:07 am

however the combination of a piss poor fan with the most densly spaced fins on the planet make this an unwise choice for a silent pc
I bet you have never used this heatsink. The fan is a rebadged D12SL-12, virtually identical to the Nexus 120mm, so unless you think all the fans on SPCR Recommended page are "piss poor" I suggest you refrain from making uninformed comment.

Really, this unthinking knee-jerk Thermaltake bashing has got to stop. We are missing out on good products because of it.

justblair

Post by justblair » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:35 am

I have to agree with Jaganath on this one. I am currently running 2 tt typhoons.

One in a passive system, an undervolted XP2100 palamino where it dumps 29w of heat using convection alone...

The other is in my bedroom machine where it is taking care of a XP3000. At 7v its keeping the processor cool and is quiet into the bargain.

The fans on these are very good from a silence point of view. Though it looks as though it is not strictly a loonie, but a very similar fan labelled Hong Sheng. Compared to the Nexus 12cm fan it is comparible noise wise. (once you slow it down to the same RPM. The finish on the TT fan is actually slightly better... No flash

I bought this as I have bought several TT products because here in the UK the price is so good compared to other products 25GBP delivered compared to say 40GBP for the Ninja inc not so good fan. Performance wise I am happy with this product.

In my passive setup, it is possible that a more widely spaced fin shelf cooler like the XP120 would be more efficient, but hey it was 25GBP and I have a very good 12cm fan into the bargain. Planning to use it in the bedroom systems PSU when I get an hour to change it over.

I would buy another if I were building the systems again. If you are looking for a shelf cooler, you wont be disapointed by this one...

So for those that have not tried it and yet feel that they can make a judgement on this product... sorry to dissapoint you, but your talking out your hats!!