xp-120 and athlon 3200+ running to hot

Post by mshack » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:42 am

Hi All.

Just put together my new pc.
Abit AX8
Athlon 64 3200+
Thermalright xp-120
Yate loon 120mm fan for the cpu

So, once I put it all together I checked the cpu temp in the BIOS, since this heatsink is upposed to keep things very cold. Well, the cpu started at 40c and settled at 55c! I couldn't believe how hot it was running. I resat the heatsink again and no change. I read that everyone can do 30-40c at idle. So what gives with my system. Currently the case is wide open. Even stranger when In windows (using Abit's Ugura software) my cpu temp was reading 73c, idle.

I put a small amount of thermal grease on the cpu and wiped it off, then put a very small amount back on before putting the heatsink on.

Any help of ideas is appreciated. Thanks!

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:51 am

You didn't say what thermal grease you used, so that could an issue since they don't all have the same installation instructions.

Another thing to look at is the base of XP-120. Mine was concave, and I ended up using a lapping kit (see the XP-120 thread). At first glance it looked OK, but when a straight edge was placed on the base, I could see that the edges of the XP-120 curled up quite a bit.

Also consider that not all motherboards report the same temps. Some report CPU core temps and some report the temp on the CPU heat spreader (some CPU's apparently have two sensors). It has been reported on this forum that Soltek boards seem to report temps that are 10-15C higher than other boards because they report core temps. Also, the temp sensors are not very accurate from sample to sample.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:29 pm

Can you touch the XP-120 with your finger without huge discomfort? If so, then you *may* have a motherboard that reports diode temperatures instead of thermistor temperatures (like my Soltek SL-K8TPro-939). You'll have to get in touch with tech support of your motherboard manufacturer.

I have an A64-3500+ with XP-120, and the reported temperatures are 40-65C (idle@1GHz - [email protected]). It runs Linux with powernow_k8 and cpufreq_ondemand for dynamic CPU frequency selection.

mshack

Post by mshack » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:33 pm

Hmm. I guess I'll check the heatsink then. I did look at it and seemed fine, like yours, but didn't verify it against anything. I would think for the 50$ it would be pretty dead on. I read through that thread.

As for touching it, yes, it can touch it no problem. Actually, it's not even warn, even cool. Surprised the crap out of me as I thought it would be hot, especially the heat pipes.

I used the thermal grease that came with the heatsink.