Normal CPU Temps: Winchester & MSI Neo2 Platinum

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Edirol

Normal CPU Temps: Winchester & MSI Neo2 Platinum

Post by Edirol » Mon May 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Hi there,

I recently built a new system with a Winchester 3200+ and a MSI Neo2 Platinum mobo.

I was wondering what temperatures should I expect to see while idle & full load using the temperatures reported by speedfan/bios?

On the AMD page it says the maximum case temp for this chip is 65C.
What's a safe range for this chip?

I've noticed that with this mobo the CPU temp reported is much lower than the SYS temp.

Thanks,
- Will

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue May 17, 2005 10:50 am

Whats your case/fan, Heatsink/fan setup, that can make all of the difference.

The highest my system has got is 53C system, and about 49C CPU, thats with both case fans running at 5V (taken from 3700BQE's, run a little slower than the Sonata fan at 5V), and my CPU fan on minimum, I dont know what minimum is, no piece of software has been able to tell me, i'm guessing 500-900 RPM.

The above temps were extreme.

Usually CPU 41-42C under Folding load, System 38C.

I cant remember idle, I havent been for a couple of weeks.

Andy

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Tue May 17, 2005 11:28 am

It's not uncommon for a winchesters idle temp to be below the system temp, remember that northbridge only has a dinky little heatsink/fan combo on it and depending on your cooler some of the cpu's heat is being blown onto the motherboard.

Edirol

Post by Edirol » Tue May 17, 2005 12:04 pm

Right now I have a Thermalright XP-90 with a 92mm Panaflo L1A.
I'm using the stock northbridge fan.

Both fans are set to bare minimum speeds (just enough so that the fans turn). Cool & Quiet is enabled in the BIOS, but I haven't installed the AMD Driver in Windows. CPU-Z reports the core is running at 2GHz (default max).

Right now I'm still testing the setup, so everythings not in a case yet, but I'm getting:

IDLE: CPU=20C, SYS=30C
PRIME95: CPU=30C, SYS=35C

I know the temps are quiet low, but once I stick this into a case, what types of temps can I expect to be safe? Is under 50C good? I just wanna know so that I can set the right "target" temps in speedfan.

I'm not sure how reliable the temp reporting is on this mobo. I might do a calibration in a bit.

Thanks,
- Will