BeHardware tests 25 heatsinks (socket 775)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

BeHardware tests 25 heatsinks (socket 775)

Post by halcyon » Fri May 20, 2005 11:48 am

BeHardware tests 25 heatsinks for thermal performance and noise using various Papst fans:

- Aerocool – GT1000
- ASUSTeK – Star Ice
- Arctic-Cooling – Freezer 7
- Coolermaster - CI5-9HDPA-01
- Coolermaster - Hyper48
- Coolermaster – Hyper6+
- Cooljag – Sunflower
- Gigabyte - 3D Rocket Pro
- Intel – Box
- Noiseblocker - Cool Scraper
- Noiseblocker - Cool Tower
- Noiseless Cooler - Calmera KS10
- Scythe – Kamakiri
- Swiftech - MCX775-V
- Thermalright - XP90
- Thermalright - XP90C
- Thermalright - XP120
- Thermaltake – Big Typhoon
- Thermaltake – Sonic Tower
- TTIC - NPH775-1
- TTIC - SF775-2
- Zalman - CNPS7000-AlCu
- Zalman - CNPS7000-Cu
- Zalman - CNPS7700-AlCu
- Zalman - CNPS7700-Cu

http://www.behardware.com/articles/568/page32.html

Conclusion is pretty much the same as here. XP-90 and XP-120 are leaders, while Coolermaster 6+ isn't a slouch either. Asus Star Ice is the most efficient, but also clearly noisiest cooler.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Fri May 20, 2005 12:12 pm

Nice find. I wish they would have calculated torque, though. Seems like the length of the Tower and the sheer weight of the 7700-C would be major disadvantages...I know my mobo was bending a little just from the weight of the relatively light XP-120 when I installed it.

mantralord

Post by mantralord » Fri May 20, 2005 2:04 pm

The BigTyphoon looks like a good alternative to the XP-120...it will probably fit the mobos that the XP-120 can not...though the drawback is its weight.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri May 20, 2005 5:37 pm

This is the english translation of an article that was posted 3 weeks ago at hardware.fr. It was also discussed in this thread. Here's one good comment from Nevin:
Nevin wrote:Note that the CPU temperature is measured at the side of the heat spreader some quarter-inch or more away from the edge of the actual CPU core and a good half-inch away from the hottest parts of the core. Such a measurement could be greatly influenced by several factors that would lead to invalid results including:

1. A heatsink that creates airflow around the side of the heat spreader will measure cooler than a heatsink that does not. (Even though the CPU core may actually be hotter.)

2. A heatsink with a thicker base that spreads the heat laterally across the top of the heat spreader will measure hotter than a heatsink with a thinner base that primarily conducts the core heat vertically. (Even though the CPU core may actually be cooler.)

Heatsinks are designed to cool the CPU core, not the outside edge of the heat spreader. If they had used the CPU's internal thermal diode to measure the core temperature, I suspect that the rankings in the comparison would look very different.

Overall, this is not a test that I would consider valid.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri May 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Thanks Slaugh, I had not noticed the connection. It's great you noticed this.