Thermalright paste vs. ceramique...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Magic

Thermalright paste vs. ceramique...

Post by Magic » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Blah...I can't find my tube of ceramique, and I really want to install my xp-120 in the next few days. (I've had it for months to replace my alcu-7000, but haven't gotten around to it.)

Should I just use the thermalright paste included with the xp-120? Does it matter in the least?

Or should I get a new tube of ceramique?

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:52 pm

I, personally, would go with Arctic Silver 5.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:40 pm

thetoad30 wrote:I, personally, would go with Arctic Silver 5.
Many of the reviewers on SPCR use Ceramique, which is better than the stuff that comes with the HS.

Ceramique flows a little bit easier than AS 5, and is a little less sensitive to improper application than AS 5.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:24 pm

At best, you'll get a few degrees better performance with the Ceramique over the Thermalright stuff. Probably not enough to get too worried about.

We generally use ceramique for reviews because it's easier to work with.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:43 am

According to this paste comparison, when it comes to cooling, Thermalright Generic is as good as Ceramique.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:41 am

As someone who changes CPUs more often than most people change their shorts, I'd recommend going with whatever thermal compound is easiest to work with, unless you're really stuck on squeezing the last few (and I do mean few) degrees out of your CPU. I generally use Ceramique because it's easy to work with. I've also used most of the others and have noticed very little actual difference in temps, but the user-friendliness of some of them leaves a lot to be desired.

IMHO, "The Best Thermal Compound" is one of those issues that you shouldn't spend any time (or money) worrying about. It just doesn't matter that much.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:52 am

What are the opinions on the best way to apply it? I used to use the method where you spread it evenly on the GPU/CPU with a credit card. When I installed the NT01 cooler, I used the "put a bead on the center of the CPU and squash it with the HS" method. My temps tend to be high with this passive cooler. I feel; the heatsink getting extremely hott to the point where I can't have my finger on it for more than 2 seconds. It's in the optimal motherboard configuration. Maybe it's because I have a passive PSU and an undervolted Nexus.

Oh, and the NT01 had a VERY rough bottom. I've been considering ordering a lapping kit to smooth it down a bit. I'm not an extreme cooling guy, but it this case, it may help a lot. My CPU hits 80 at load. At higher and throttling kicks in.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:05 am

Shadowknight wrote:What are the opinions on the best way to apply it?
We've been over this topic fairly completely, several times. A quick search sould give you good results.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:18 am

"What are the opinions on the best way to apply it?"

Instead of my precious credit card, I use business cards (spares). Working in a photo-printing shop, I can also get heaps of waste print papers for the same purpose. Putting a small gob on the edge and working along to form a thin layer does the trick.

I have a question: I own the ThermalTake Thermal Compound (imaginatively called 'powerful') that I got from their Silenttower product. What is your opinion on it? Of the opinion that as long as it works and does not give much problem, I am pretty neutral towards it.

Regards.

wim

Post by wim » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:35 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:IMHO, "The Best Thermal Compound" is one of those issues that you shouldn't spend any time (or money) worrying about. It just doesn't matter that much.
right on ralf
people go too nuts about this stuff..

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:54 pm

I would agree with Ralf - the difference is miniscule
AS5 I got 1c better load temp than Ceramique and ceramique is easier to use.
The Thermalright stuff aint bad either.
For normal use it matters very little , much hype for little result.