Fan recommendations for a Thermalright XP-120

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chrisojeda

Fan recommendations for a Thermalright XP-120

Post by chrisojeda » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:22 am

Planning on buying a Thermalright XP-120 for an Athlon 64 3700+. I do not plan on overclocking. Please let me know what 120mm fan you would suggest?

Thanks!

Chris

Dane

Post by Dane » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:33 am

Hi Chris,

whilst I don't have any experience with an Xp-120, I'm always browsing these forums and can tell you that the right fan will all depend on what case you have and your current airflow setup.

Post your full system specs and also fill in your location in your profile so people can recommend where to buy from.

Most guys seem to be using a nexus as it's the quietest available, but it has low airflow and you'll need to cut the corners to fit it (See sticky in 'Fans & Control' forum).

If you need higher airflow then Yate loons are popular as they seem to be very smooth.

You may want to spend some time browsing the cpu cooling forum - there are many threads about this, namely this one: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=22188

It contains links to Frankgehry's fan tests which you should read.

Hope this is of some help,

Dane.

m0002a

Re: Fan recommendations for a Thermalright XP-120

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:15 am

chrisojeda wrote:Planning on buying a Thermalright XP-120 for an Athlon 64 3700+. I do not plan on overclocking. Please let me know what 120mm fan you would suggest?

Thanks!

Chris
Nexus works well at 12V (about 1100 RPM) and is quiet. I have found that it works better with airflow up, pulling warm air right into the case exhaust fan on my Antec 3700-BQE (also Nexus 120 mm).

If you enable Cool n Quiet, you will have no problems cooling your CPU with this fan on a XP-120, and you could even lower the RPM somewhat. However, it is quiet enough inside my case at 12V, so I have not bothered to run it at lower speeds.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:55 am

m002a,

I'm having trouble visualizing what you just said. You said you have it pulling air up right into your exhaust fan, but aren't the options either (UP) away from the MOBO/towards the side of the case, or (DOWN) towards the MOBO/away from the side of the case?

Maybe you should post a pic. :D

-PS

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:04 pm

PS wrote:m002a,

I'm having trouble visualizing what you just said. You said you have it pulling air up right into your exhaust fan, but aren't the options either (UP) away from the MOBO/towards the side of the case, or (DOWN) towards the MOBO/away from the side of the case?

Maybe you should post a pic.
The two fans (CPU fan and rear case exhaust fan) are at right angles to each other. But on my MB, the fan that sits on top of the XP-120 is very close to the Antec 3700-BQE exhaust fan. On my MB, when I use the CPU fan to blow down, the two fans seem to be working against each other to some degree. I notice that they both run at slightly higher RPM with the CPU fan blowing up (same voltage as when it was blowing down). I use the Nexus 120 for both fans.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:11 am

PS wrote:m002a,

Maybe you should post a pic. :D

-PS
He means like this (but with Nexus fans instead of Globes):

sensei

Post by sensei » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:47 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
He means like this (but with Nexus fans instead of Globes):
Now that setup is just begging for a duct...