Tower heatpipe CPU-coolers?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:57 am

I don't see what that VIA article has got to do with it. I have no doubt that the PC that I am using right now is much quieter than anything VIA produces. Note that MikeC's Shuttle is modified, and would certainly be quieter than a VIA HSF.

jmke, don't assume that just because you can't find a room as quiet as Mike's, then it couldn't possibly exist. I can assure you that I have on many occasions been in places where I could clearly hear my own heartbeat, amongst other things.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:07 am

jmke, perhaps you're mixing dB and dBA. The lowest measured dB (unweighteds) SPL in my rooms have been in the low 20s. It appears that I have to turn off the fridges and freezers many rooms away to get any lower, and I have not bothered to do that. But in dBA (A-weighted, which de-emphasizes the low frequencies which are keeping the dB readings high), I have measured as low as 14 dBA -- middle of snowy winter night.

Someone has suggested this is as low as the noise levels of the circuitry in my B&K SLM, which means it's a bit suspect, but it sounded quieter than the 16-18 dBA readings I can get more easily.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:20 am

jmke, don't assume that just because you can't find a room as quiet as Mike's, then it couldn't possibly exist. I can assure you that I have on many occasions been in places where I could clearly hear my own heartbeat, amongst other things.
Although there have been times I have dissagreed with Alleycat this is not one of them - I have Sound pressure level meter , which is completely useles for measuring any sound below 36db because it was designed for testing speakers and quiet and or silent computers are below the resoloution of the meter. And I also have been in rooms (nearly every night) where you can hear a wristwatch tick across the room - This is often the case when you live in the more rural parts of Australia

winguy

Post by winguy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:56 am

Any Socket A tower-heatpiped heatsink (or any other HS) that uses 3-prong clips to recommend for passive cooling?

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:20 pm

Yes, the Aerocool HT-101 comes with the 3-pronged clip mounting mechanism for Socket A mobos, and I would certainly recommend it. And I run mine passively on my XP2400+ (although it's very close to my 120mm fanned PSU).

winguy

Post by winguy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:58 pm

I'd be relying on rear exhaust fan only for the passive CPU cooling operation and unfortunately Aerocool HT-101 's orientation isn't really suited for it. The closest I've seen is Thermaltake CL-P0015 ( TOWER102 ) but it requires the 4 holes to mount.

Anyhow, here're some pics of Aerocool HT-102 (chinese site).

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 pm

I remember in a post ages ago Bluefront had managed to rotate the HT-101 through 90 degrees by making two very simple mounting plates for it. Couldn't find the post though.

But in fact you could still use the HT-101 with a rear exhaust fan in the wrong orientation if you remove the shroud and fan. The heatpipes would be slightly in the way but not too bad.

winguy

Post by winguy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:55 pm

It should be this thread. Its for P4 boards though. Rotating the HT-101 90 degrees using 3-pronged clips doesn't seem possible. I'd try looking for alternatives. :)

williemues

Post by williemues » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm

Don´t know where you are located but there´s a german heatsink here:

http://www.ciao.fr/Sharkoon_HPS_1__738324/TabId/4

winguy

Post by winguy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:26 am

The Sharkoon HPS1 and Cooler Master Pipe Tower 7 look very similar. Are they the same heatsink?
I wonder whether they're good enough for passive cooling.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:47 am

If you haven't seen it, the Thermaltake Sonic Tower, CL-P0071, is a passive tower that should end up close to either a top or back mounted exhaust fan. Also, a 120mm fan can be mounted between the fin stacks. It's heavy, but it has an adapter for K7 (Socket A) mounting.

williemues

Post by williemues » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:17 pm

winguy wrote:The Sharkoon HPS1 and Cooler Master Pipe Tower 7 look very similar. Are they the same heatsink?
I wonder whether they're good enough for passive cooling.
Yes, they seem very much alike. I have the Sharkoon and with a 120mm papst 1600rpm set up in front and blowing through the heatsink and out of a hole in the back (no duct) it keeps a xp-m [email protected]/1.9 Vcore at 45C idle (papst at lowest rpm (5% Speedfancontrolled - Speedfan can´t report rpm correctly but it´s about 5-600rpm (inaudible)) and 55C load (1600rpm).

Depending on which cpu you´ll use, I think it´s worth a try - especially if you make a duct. What´s the size of the rear fan?

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm either going for Sonic Tower or the Ninja SPCR recently reviewed. Probably the Ninja considering SPCR has actually reviewed it :wink:

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:31 pm

I think there was a review somewhere that showed the Sonic Tower, at idle, had a temp of around 67C fanless. In my setup (non-P180) I get about 40C idle, so the Ninja should do better anyway.

Despite the many slams on Thermaltake on this forum, and the lake of an SPCR review, I think the design COULD be decent, but like with many of TT's heatsinks, the fin density is WAY too high to the point where it inhibits airflow. If they fixed that, the heatsink would be both lighter and a more effective passive cooler.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:01 pm

Shadowknight wrote:I think there was a review somewhere that showed the Sonic Tower, at idle, had a temp of around 67C fanless. In my setup (non-P180) I get about 40C idle, so the Ninja should do better anyway.

Despite the many slams on Thermaltake on this forum, and the lake of an SPCR review, I think the design COULD be decent, but like with many of TT's heatsinks, the fin density is WAY too high to the point where it inhibits airflow. If they fixed that, the heatsink would be both lighter and a more effective passive cooler.
I'm sure I read the same review, and the reviewer pointed out that the system was tested on a bench outside of a case. So no airflow, and the fin towers stacked vertically hold heat more strongly. You are right about fin density and TTs past history in that area, but a fanless HS needs to be reviewed in real conditions, which means case airflow.

That's like the review of the new Hitachi SATA II drive, where the reviewer kept saying it spanked the 74GB Raptor, but the Hitachi was tested in RAID0 while he "only had one WD Raptor available for the test". Give me a break. Comparing a RAID of drives using a newer faster interface to a single higher-revving drive isn't a comparison. It's a stacked result.

Anyway, my point is a review should be thorough and consider the details that are important to the device in order to be seen as credible, and I think the review of the Sonic Tower just missed. It might be great, it might be junk, but I can't tell you either for sure based on what I read in that review. Not something I'd worry about from an SPCR reviewer.

winguy

Post by winguy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 am

Scythe Katana :shock:

Which way will the fan be blowing when mounted on Asus A8N-SLI Premium ?

-Edit-
4-Way Mountable Design to Optimize the Cooling

With the special mounting clips provided with Katana CPU Cooler, users are able to mount this cooler in the best position based on the airflow and set-ups inside the PC case. (For socket 370/462, limited to 2-way mountable design)

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:17 am

The Katana only accepts 92mm fans. I would go with something larger like Scythe's own Ninja. The fan on the Ninja can be inserted on any of the four sides so it doesn't even matter how the heatsink is positioned on the motherboard.

winguy

Post by winguy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:59 am

CGameProgrammer wrote:The Katana only accepts 92mm fans. I would go with something larger like Scythe's own Ninja. The fan on the Ninja can be inserted on any of the four sides so it doesn't even matter how the heatsink is positioned on the motherboard.
Yup, except the Ninja doesn't fit Socket A boards.

tomati

Post by tomati » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi,

I'm using the sonic tower since two weeks (A64 3200+) with success ,

pro :

- fanless ability
- noising and cooling efficiency with the fan in sandwich
- price at -30€
- design ( personal)

cons:
- weight (not really affraid as I'm running my cpu with ihs off right now)
- setup
- no fan provided (I'm using the antec tricool from the slk3000b)

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:51 am