Socket A Heatsink: Need a quiet one DESPERATELY!!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fegul

Socket A Heatsink: Need a quiet one DESPERATELY!!

Post by fegul » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:42 pm

This is actually my first post here, I'v been lurking for quite some now though. Here's my question and maybe you guys can help me.

I have an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton with a Volcano 12 (yes, 48 db) My processor runs at 49C Idle and 57-58C Load (Very hot) I have AS5, and 2 80mm case fans for those wondering.

I just bought an Antec Super LANBoy (I like the 120mm fans) and want to know what HSF to get. I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, which may or may not cause mounting issues with some HSFs

Should I get a Thermalright or is there something else that may suit my need better?

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing your feedback!

regoldman

Post by regoldman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:58 pm

Depends on the clearance on the mobo - you'll have to do your homework in this regard.

That said ... in addition to the XP-90 / XP-120

The Thermalright SI-74 / SI-74A is well thought of.
The folks at endPCnoise.com seem to think well of the AXP-3200 (and I can say that it's pretty quiet, tho' I'm currently trying to determine if some cooling grief I'm having is a result of the AXP-3200 (I suspect not), an off kilter chip (I suspect it is), or an errant mobo reading.

The other one I came across in my readings, quite inexpensive, is the Artic Cooler Copper 3 (a.k.a. Lite) - $15 plus shipping - it has received some good reviews. I have one on order -- should arrive in a day or two -- I can let you know what I think of it then.

fegul

Post by fegul » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:03 pm

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Arctic Cooler Copper 3 when you get it in. That Nexus also looks pretty good, I'll take a look at that one after I post this.

Great stuff so far!

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 pm

You could also try an Aerocool HT-101 tower type heatsink, which is great if your CPU socket is near a exhaust fan. That will help keep the CPU cool, especially if you duct it.

I use one in my socket A (AthlonXP 2400+) and it works well passively, with only the PSU fan nearby pulling air across it.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 pm

If you haven't already, check the recommended section.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:14 pm

fegul wrote:I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Arctic Cooler Copper 3 when you get it in. That Nexus also looks pretty good, I'll take a look at that one after I post this.

Great stuff so far!
I had one of the older ones, and it wasn't so bad. With my XP-M @ 2.33GHz it idled around 39/40ºC (with simple white thermal goo), quite less than this HT-101 which idles at 42/43ºC :roll:

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Socket A Heatsink: Need a quiet one DESPERATELY!!

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:25 pm

fegul wrote:I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, ...
I presume that mobo has the hs mounting holes?

In which case you may be tempted by some of the new ultra-heavies w/120mm fans: The Thermaltake Big Typhoon & Sonic Tower (both fit socket A with holes) seem to be comparable to a Scythe Shogun in this comparison at SilentHardware.de (important to note they used the same fan on each sink) and in this comparison at ComputerBase outran an XP-120: again using the same fan, and (AFAIK) there is no socket-A mount for an XP-120 nor Ninja.

[edit] CORRECTION - it is a Shogun, not Ninja, in the SilentHardware comparison![/edit]

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:07 am

I have moved a somewhat hot running socket A system to a new case with dual 120mm fans. What I found was that the increased airflow made a big difference to both system and CPU temperatures. It was also a lot quieter.

As to a CPU cooler, if the priority is quietness, I think the Thermalright SI-97 is well-worth considering. You can fit a 92mm fan of your choosing, and run it at the lowest speed consistent with what you think is a reasonable CPU temperature.

regoldman

Post by regoldman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:19 am

> ... the Thermalright SI-74 / SI-74A is well thought of ...

Ummm -- that'd be SI-97/97A.

Must've been having a senior moment.

- rg

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:35 am

Just fitted the TT typhoon to a HTPC project and am very happy with the results. Seen it beating the XP120 in tests on the webby.

Had to move a PSU a couple of cm to make it fit my Abit NF7 board but my Brother has an Asus and his was a better fit in a std ATX case.

Getting good temps in mine, 40c last night at idle in an open case with the fan fitted but switched off. 20% fan usage at full processor power (CPU burn)

Its easy to fit to Socket A. Was reading about another member here struggling a bit with newer socket.

For the price, here in the UK the Typhoon was a good bit cheaper than the thermalright. Made it an easy choice for me to make.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:24 am

Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu or CNPS7000B-Cu all the way.

I have two of them, one on an Barton 2600+ running stock speeds. Using the minimum speed of the FanMate I do not hear it in my SLK3000B (PSU fan is still too loud). That fan is on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and no modifications were required for the install. That's my HTPC.

The other is on an Epox 8RDA+ will a Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+. That one runs a little hotter, and the fan speed is turned up a little. But again, over my vid card, it is inaudible. Next up, is a VF700 for my 6600GT. All that's in my gaming case which looks like this.

I love them, and as I used to have a Volcano on the 2500+ before, I can tell you the performance/noise is much improved.

fegul

Post by fegul » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 am

The Thermaltake Big Typhoon has definetly caught my eye. I've been looking at it for the past couple months, and it looks like it may be a quiet, powerful solution. My mobo does have mounting holes, so it could definetly take a Big Typhoon.

I'll measure the depth of my case tonight and see how much space I'll have between the Side panel and the fan.

Thanks for the input so far!

One thing about the Big Typhoon is the closely spaced fins. Wouldnt it collect dust fairly quickly?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:18 am

Hello,

You should consider the Alpha HS, and use a quiet 80mm on it -- don't look at the stock fan version.

Secondly, I think that image in your signature is NG; it would be good if you went with a text only version. Thanks.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:10 am

Hi, I have a Zalman 7000AlCu on my Barton 2500+ in A7N8X Deluxe (not E), most of the time OC'd to 2.2GHz, and it cools fine even turned down to minimum ~1350 rpm. It's pretty quiet at that but I can run it even slower 1100-1200rpm and then it's inaudible inside my case even when the case fans are turned to minimum as well.
They're quite reasonable priced now too.
I've heard you can mount the Zalman 9500 on SoA using the mounting brackets from the Zalman 7000 series but the 7000 has enough cooling and is much cheaper so there's little gain unless you want to mod the 9500 with a very quiet fan. (Which can also be done to the 7000, Nexus 92mm is a favourite)
From what I've heard the Thermaltake SI-97 (takes 92mm fan) is very good.
I've had good results with Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 TC in "noise reduced" PCs. Compared to your current HS it's probably great but in a truly quiet PC with a high(ish) end chip it's not good enough as typically spins it's 80mm fan ~2000rpm under load. It seams tuned to maintain high temps, 50-60°C, which some find unacceptable but for the £7 (10$) asking price it's pretty good.
Seb

fegul

Post by fegul » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:52 pm

I took out the image in the sig, sorry about that. I'm really considering the Big Typhoon, especially after this review; http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=45650

I was thinking about a Zalman, but the Big Typhoon is not much more expensive. I'm going to order the Big Typhoon now, and then post a comparison with pics after I get everything together.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted!

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:24 pm

I agree the Big Typhoon looks promising - good luck. My attempted Sonic Tower purchase last week fell apart so just ordered myself a Titan Vanessa-L for my Socket A! 800g of core-crushing, socket snapping excitement coming up!
fegul wrote:... this review; ...
is particularly unimpressive: it is not even clear if the quoted Typhoon temps are with the stock fan or his replacement "thunderblade". My guess is the thunderblade: the stock Typhoon fan is OEM Yate Loon AFAIK, which from a silent point of view is a good thing. Equally the reviews I linked earlier show the hs performs competitively using low airflow (= low noise).

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:57 pm

IMHO - go with the SI-97 - the only Athlon XP cooler I have had that out performs it by any margin is an Aerocool DP102 - at the expense of noise .
And the SI-97 has no compatability problems that I know of .
Just a note the DP102 is now serving on a 3.4gig PressHot and cooling it well but not
Silently - and the SI-97 is still in use on my 3200+ Barton in an InWin Micro ATX case and
and has been since the cooler was originally released (although the mobo , an Asus A7N8x -VM400
is reporting the temps at load as high forties that is cr*p because it is quite warm to touch so I cannot give any accurate temp readings )

timmytimmytimmy

Post by timmytimmytimmy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:36 pm

The Big Typhoon has a 120mm fan. You may have some clearance issues with the Antec Super Lanboy, since most Socket A motherboards put the CPU socket very close to the top of the motherboard, so heatsinks could have problems with the PSU so closeby. An ATX motherboard will have approximately 1cm clearance with the PSU - keep that in mind

fegul

Post by fegul » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:28 pm

The HSF will fit in depth-wise in the case;
http://forums.cluboverclocker.com/showt ... ht=Typhoon

The clearance between HSF and PS is something on my mind though. I guess we'll have to see when it gets here.

timmytimmytimmy

Post by timmytimmytimmy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:08 am

I hate to say, but I think that the HSF will not fit with the superlanboy. My WhisperRock IV (80mm) fan is about 8-9mm away from my PSU and I can't see how the 120mm typhoon will fit, unless the socket is quite far down the board, and the heatsink is "off center"

wharris1

TR SI-97a

Post by wharris1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:36 am

I've got a socket A and have gone through (in order) a Vantec Aerocool (loud), a TT Silent Boost (good overall, great value), a Zalman 7000 AlCu (quieter than the TTSB, and a few degrees cooler) and now finally the TR SI-97a. The SI-97a is the best of the bunch, currently paired with a Panaflo low speed 92mm fan at 12V. The temp never goes more than 3-4 degrees above case ambient at load (max load 41-42) with Barton @ 2.2 Ghz and 1.65 volts. I just ordered a Nexus 92mm fan and hope to drop another 1-2 db with out too much temp increase. Definitely go with the SI-97 although the TT typhoon does look pretty good.

fegul

Post by fegul » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:06 pm

I just got it in today, I wont be able to isntall it for a little while though. I've been doing some measurements by eye, and it looks like its going to be a very close fit, if it fits at all. This thing is big though. Not really heavy, but massive. I'll keep you guys posted though.

fegul

Post by fegul » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:51 pm

I got the Big Typhoon, and it fit!! its very quiet, and isnt that heavy. Heres a link to some pics of the system so far
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14472032

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:36 pm

Good to hear/see it worked out for you.

In parallel I put in a Titan Vanessa-L with a Nexus replacement fan. Was a tight fit: there is about 1mm clearance between the heatsink and the psu! But it does mean I have reconfigured the setup with no case fans as the hsf is essentially blowing straight out the back anyway. And the hsf is definately more efficient than my old SLK800/Papst 8412NGLE combo: I could drop my Vcore from 1.675V to 1.65V and still be Prime & Memtest stable.

I was extremely impressed with the Titan packing and overall quality: the thing is like a Mecano kit with lots of little bags of bits depending how you want to deploy it (which socket, where to put the fan controller etc).

A note on weight: the Titan seemed "light" so I put it on the kitchen scale and it is about 820g. I later put the SLK800 on the scales and it is 630g so actually not a huge increase.