AMD x2 Stock HSF - how bad is it?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MrDisco

AMD x2 Stock HSF - how bad is it?

Post by MrDisco » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I've tried to google and read as many stickies as possible but haven't found a clear answer to this.
If i'm running a stock/non-OCed x2-3800 how bad is the stock HSF with respect to noise and cooling ability?
Is it necessary for me to look at 3rd party HSFs?

thank you for your help.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 pm

it's not bad, but you can do better. If silence is your goal then i'd get a 3rd party HSF, if money is tight then it's not bad.

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 pm

All I know is I upgraded to a Scythe Ninja and couldn't be happier.

In general, stock HSF are OK but not great, both for heat dissipation and noise. See if you can live with it, but if you can't, upgrade.

MrDisco

Post by MrDisco » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:09 am

Natronomonas wrote:All I know is I upgraded to a Scythe Ninja and couldn't be happier.

In general, stock HSF are OK but not great, both for heat dissipation and noise. See if you can live with it, but if you can't, upgrade.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. If the noise is unbearable then I'll revisit this issue again.

Q: How difficult is it to remove the HSF after its been applied? (i.e. does it stick to the cpu?). Is it easy to clean the thermal pad residue from the top of the cpu without damaging it?

thanks again to all.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:57 am

it's not difficult to remove a HSF, they aren't stuck to the CPU. And don't worry about cleaning the residue off the CPU - on an X2 the top of the CPU is a metal 'shield' over the actual CPU core.

Short of cleaning with a chisel ;) it won't be damaged during cleaning.

-Quikkie