Latest Thermaltake cheap copy, the RX Series

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pcweltz

Latest Thermaltake cheap copy, the RX Series

Post by pcweltz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 am

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/c ... -p0295.asp

Blatant ripoff of the Arctic cooling Frameless fans....with no heatpipes so I'm sure performance will suffer.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 am

Ripoff or not, declaring a 2200 RPM 92mm fan to be 18 dBA is bordering on criminal.

aurellie

Post by aurellie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:41 pm

I really like thermaltake's illustrations of air flow, cold air coming in and hot air coming out...hahaha :D

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:58 pm

Heatpipes don't mean everything. The older Thermalright sinks don't have heatpipes and this look exactly like those sinks. However I agree a total ripoff of Arctic Cooling.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:43 pm

The only ripoff I see here is the fan design, and that's probably because Tt actually buys them from Arctic Cooling as in the past it used Panaflo L1A in certain heatsinks. Well, two years ago it was panaflo, now it's AC fans. The heatsink itself is a standard heatsink that Tt has been reusing for years. Yes, some of the products Tt has been putting out are blatant rip-offs, but this is not one of them. You people should get off your high horse and look at the actual product before jumping on the Tt bashing bandwagon.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:24 pm

I cant say i have ever seen an AC product that uses 3 connections to the frame.

So I am going with a rip-off of the general design of the blades, my guess is "it will suck balls".

Just look at how close those fins are, why not just buy an AC HS/Fan instead of a Tt.

Andy

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:01 pm

I looked closely, true, the Tt has three arms. AC usually have either 2 or 4 arms. Still, the only thing they ripped off this time is frameless fan idea, and even that is questionable. More than likely they just ordered OEM fans from AC and slapped their logo on them.

Klaatu

Coolermaster version of the same fan

Post by Klaatu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:31 am

I'm curious to see what your opinion of this Coolermaster with the frameless fan is http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... E1+Susurro

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:10 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:The only ripoff I see here is the fan design, and that's probably because Tt actually buys them from Arctic Cooling as in the past it used Panaflo L1A in certain heatsinks. Well, two years ago it was panaflo, now it's AC fans. The heatsink itself is a standard heatsink that Tt has been reusing for years. Yes, some of the products Tt has been putting out are blatant rip-offs, but this is not one of them. You people should get off your high horse and look at the actual product before jumping on the Tt bashing bandwagon.
Agreed. I think it's bad that you are judged based on your past. I try not to judge people based on their past either.

Even if TT made the best heatsink ever known to man and would combine it with the perfect fan, only a few would ever come to know of it in these forums, because TT-bashers would just diss it off as a blatant ripoff and toss it aside without giving it a chance to prove itself and in the process discredit the brave soul who claims in these forums that TT has made a decent product.

The 18db claim at 2200rpm is probably bogus, but undervolted this fan might perform well, but I guess we will never know, do we...

Btw. I have never owned any thermal any TT products.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:11 am

Klaatu, I used to like Coolermaster a few years ago when I was an overclocker, however their "Silent" HS/fans are far from silent.

I doubt very much this product will be any better.

It has several design problems from the point of view of low noise.

1. Its copper fins are far far too close together for low airflow.
2. It has a partial shroud (just below the fan) which is good for pushing the air further over the fins, but really bad for low airflow/low pressure environments.
3. Coolermaster fans are just not quiet, its as simple as that, and replacing the fan with a quiter fan wont make an efficient product due to points 1 and 2.
4. The fan grill to protect fingers (and wires if your messy) will cause turbulance and therefore make the fan less efficient, and as such it will have to spin even faster to compensate (MikeC has measured somewhere in the region of 20% with slow spinning fans.
5. Not performance related, this beastie due to all copper construction weighs in at 760 Grams.

All in all, its ONLY real use would be in a cramped environment as its a low profile fan, but you wont find many people on SPCR who would ever want to use this product.

Also, the 18Db @1m @2200rpm is just rubish unless the use the same methods as SilenX (i.e. in a vacuum sealed box in the next room).

Andy

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:10 am

I highly doubt Thermaltake is in violation of any laws by using a frameless fan. The idea is hardly new - I can remember seeing some Intel P4 heatsinks that used the same concept. It's probably not even patented by Arctic Cooling.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Coolermaster version of the same fan

Post by jmke » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 am

Klaatu wrote:I'm curious to see what your opinion of this Coolermaster with the frameless fan is http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... E1+Susurro
well it's okay for an office/family PC, as the CPU is not loaded the 92mm fan drops below <1000rpm and becomes really silent. My thoughts: : http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=398

However at full load, and with overclocking, there are better solutions out there.