P3 733MHz / Socket 370 / Revisited (some '05 HSFs stale)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
jasonb885
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:07 pm

P3 733MHz / Socket 370 / Revisited (some '05 HSFs stale)

Post by jasonb885 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:45 pm

I've searched the forums for potential active and passive cooling options for my Socket 370 CPUs (dual P3 Coppermines ~ 25W) on a Supermicro 370DLE mainboard and a Celeron 333MHz on an Intel BX(?) chipset board. The latter I suspect I can cool passively with a HSF upgrade and a disabled fan. The former I don't know about, but I identified a few possible HSF replacements; Not sure if they'll work on a SMP board. The existing HSFs have 4cm fans that are many years old and quite loud. I believe they're ~ 4400 RPM.

I'm thinking about these, which are all within my price range for buying three of one or maybe one of all three...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835150010 (MASSCOOL WhisperRock II 5F263B1M3 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835151120 (Spire SPA04S4-U WhisperRock V CPU Cooler - Retail)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835166032 (Spire 5F271B1L3 80mm Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink for Socket A - Retail FalconRock II)
http://www.directron.com/cnps3100.html (Zalman CNPS-3100 Plus CPU Cooler)

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these listed above? They all have the virture of being currently available, whereas some of the ones listed in older Socket 370 threads are no longer available. Additionally, they're all less than $20. (I'm going to need three of these.)

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether I could safely run one of the above in either the SMP box or the UP box without the fan running at all?

The SMP box is in an AOpen H700A case. The UP box is a generic case with only the PSU fan.

Actually, the full setup, since airflow matters on a fanless setup:

H700A:

2 x P3 733MHz Coppermine CPUs
4 x WD 120GB ATA disks in the drive cage above the PSU
1 x Quantum 30GB 3.5" ATA disk in two bay floppy cage
1 x Seagate 18GB SCSI SCA disk in two bay SCA hotwap, bottom two 5.25" bays
1 x CD-ROM, top 5.25" bay
1 x Coolmax 400W 120mm fan PSU with air intake facing CPUs
2 x 8cm fans (side by side) immediately behind the four disk drive cage
2 x 8cm fans (vertically aligned) above the expansion slots

The PCI video card has no fan. The mainboard chipset has no fan. Many flat ATA cables run from a 3Ware controller to the upper drive cage. It's an airflow mess. I suppose I could self strip the cables. I should Google that.

Celeron 333MHz box:

1 x generic PSU 300W; fan mounted facing outside, inlet on bottom of PSU facing CPU
1 x Celeron 333MHz CPU (not overclocked, I'd like to try to underclock it)
1 x 4GB IBM SCSI in floppy bay

No fans on the mainboard chipset or old video card. No CD-ROM. The current HSF is some cheap thing that's noisy.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

:)

Krazy Kommando
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:56 pm

ive also got a skt 1 celley 333mhz that id like to put back together one of these days...if you find a nice passive HSF for it let me know :)
[size=75]AMD64 3200 w/ Zalman 7700AlCu @ 5v (900rpm)
MSI K8N Neo4 w/ TR HR05-SLI
2048mb Generic DDR400
Sparkle 8800GT w/ AC Accelero S1
SATA Seagate 7200.7 160gb
SATA Samsung HD501LJ 500gb
Corsair VX450w
120mm Aerocool Turbine 2000 @ 9v (800rpm)
80mm Coolermaster @ 5v (1000rpm)
Coolermaster Aerogate3[/size]

zhenya
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by zhenya » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:24 pm

My first thought, as I'm running a couple of CPU's of this vintage myself, is that you should be able to get away with running any of them fanless as long as you have a half-decent heatsink on them, and a good thermal interface. I've been running a socket 370 celeron 1.4 fanless for years now just by unplugging the cpu fan. When I had more exhaust fan pressure I used to run Seti@home 24 hours a day with no problems. I also run a fanless PIII 450 in my linux server with no issues.

On the other hand, with all the drives you're going to have in the H700A, the sound of an undervolted 80mm quiet fan added to any of your choices will be way under the noise floor created by the drives. If you want something quiet off the shelf you can get a nice quiet one here:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/axp-3200_PIII.html

I didn't realize you could still buy that Zalman flower from Directron. I may give one of those a go to try and bring down the Celeron's temperature now that I've 5-volted all my case fans.

aeropenny
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:46 am

Post by aeropenny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:30 pm

I used to run 2 Spire WhisperRock IV's on an ASUS CUV4X-D, dual P3-866Mhz. Same heatsink as the WhisperRock V but with a regular fan instead of that inverted fan.

I found temps were ok with passive cooling - not what I was completely comfortable with but well within the safe range for a P3.

I always ran mine at 5v though. Nothing to be gained by going passive. The Spire fans start and run fine at 5v, making next to no noise. Any noise they might make at that speed would be drowned out by your other components.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance to fit them. On my board they only just fit without touching.

jasonb885
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Post by jasonb885 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:07 pm

zhenya wrote:My first thought, as I'm running a couple of CPU's of this vintage myself, is that you should be able to get away with running any of them fanless as long as you have a half-decent heatsink on them, and a good thermal interface. I've been running a socket 370 celeron 1.4 fanless for years now just by unplugging the cpu fan. When I had more exhaust fan pressure I used to run Seti@home 24 hours a day with no problems. I also run a fanless PIII 450 in my linux server with no issues.
Interesting.
zhenya wrote: On the other hand, with all the drives you're going to have in the H700A, the sound of an undervolted 80mm quiet fan added to any of your choices will be way under the noise floor created by the drives. If you want something quiet off the shelf you can get a nice quiet one here:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/axp-3200_PIII.html

I didn't realize you could still buy that Zalman flower from Directron. I may give one of those a go to try and bring down the Celeron's temperature now that I've 5-volted all my case fans.
Yeah, in my setup a fan at +5V or even +12V won't even be noticeable over the whine of my hard disks, so I think I'll try that with some better HSFs.

The only issue with the Nexus I see is the Nexus name forcing the price point above what I'd like to spend.

:)

Wow, my fans really are spinning fast.

Code: Select all

nebula:~# sensors
lm87-i2c-1-2e
Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0580
VCore:     +1.69 V  (min =  +1.62 V, max =  +1.79 V)
+3.3V:     +3.32 V  (min =  +3.04 V, max =  +3.56 V)
+5V:       +5.03 V  (min =  +4.61 V, max =  +5.39 V)
+12V:     +11.44 V  (min = +10.81 V, max = +13.19 V)
CPU Fan:  4441 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
fan2:     4327 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
Case:        +32 C  (low  =    +5 C, high =   +65 C)
CPU0:        +31 C  (low  =    +5 C, high =   +70 C)
CPU1:        +31 C  (low  =    +0 C, high =   +75 C)
vid:      +1.700 V  (VRM Version 8.2)

eeprom-i2c-1-51
Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0580
Memory type:            SDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB):       512

eeprom-i2c-1-50
Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0580
Memory type:            SDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB):       256

nebula:~#

jasonb885
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Post by jasonb885 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:23 pm

aeropenny wrote:I used to run 2 Spire WhisperRock IV's on an ASUS CUV4X-D, dual P3-866Mhz. Same heatsink as the WhisperRock V but with a regular fan instead of that inverted fan.
I've seen that board. I passed it up for the 370DLE, but nearly got one. (The 370DLE I bought off Ebay came with two matched CPUs and a stick of ECC already; Great deal!)

Were your Spire IV's anything like this supposed II which is simply called Spire 5F271B1L3 on Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835166032
aeropenny wrote: I found temps were ok with passive cooling - not what I was completely comfortable with but well within the safe range for a P3.

I always ran mine at 5v though. Nothing to be gained by going passive. The Spire fans start and run fine at 5v, making next to no noise. Any noise they might make at that speed would be drowned out by your other components.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance to fit them. On my board they only just fit without touching.
Excellent. I might just do that. I'll have to look at the board closely and perhaps measure the clearance between the sockets to ensure a fit.

Did you +5V hack those fans or did you use something like Fan Mate II?

Thanks!

:)

aeropenny
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:46 am

Post by aeropenny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:12 pm

jasonb885 wrote: Were your Spire IV's anything like this supposed II which is simply called Spire 5F271B1L3 on Newegg?
That's this:
http://www.spirecoolers.com/fcc.asp?ProdID=86

And mine were this:
http://www.spirecoolers.com/fcc.asp?ProdID=105

So yeah, same base, just a different colour fan.
jasonb885 wrote: Did you +5V hack those fans or did you use something like Fan Mate II?
Just ran them off the 5v rail, never needed more cooling than that.

Post Reply