FA812N: GlobalWin's AMD K8 Cooler w/ 120mm fan

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eternizer

FA812N: GlobalWin's AMD K8 Cooler w/ 120mm fan

Post by eternizer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:08 pm

If you bought an OEM CPU (one without stock HSF) and need something temporary untill your dream HSF shows up, this could be your perfect solution~

Manufacturer's product description page is here.

I think this can adequately cool any low-power AMD CPUs and, of all things, it's only $9.99 here! :D

When the time comes to throw this away, you can still keep this nice 120mm NCB fan. This fan has received very good reviews here:
NeilBlanchard's mini-review
Felger Carbon's mini-review

I ordered this because I couldn't decide which HS to get for my A64 3000+ (E6) in NSK2400 case.
I might keep this if it works quietly enough. 8)

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 pm

I would much rather go for Arctic Cooling Alpine series;

because this small ALU HSF + undirected airflow from 120mm = bad performance;

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:54 am

Then I'd blame you, jmke!
I was waiting for your review of April HS roundup coming up, especially for the Alpine and Verticool II, but you lazy procrastinator! :lol:
Well, I have to build my system this weekend, so I must have a HS, and I was planning to get this fan anyway...
But I still suspect this can be good enough for my 3000+ (probably bad for hotter ones), at least till I finally decide my ultimate HS...

Btw, I'd like to say I much appreciate your reviews. Always great! :wink:

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:01 am

almost done with the roundup:

- Spire DiamondCool II - tested
- Spire VertiCool II - tested
- Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 - tested
- Thermalright Mini-Typhoon - tested
- Tuniq Tower 120 - tested
- Scythe Mine - testing
- Aerocool Dominator
- Scythe Katana CU

the Alpine 64 has an excellent price/performance/noise ratio for none overclocked systems; it did not cool my OC'd system sufficiently, but it's not designed for it, so no problems with that. In Europe its price is ridiculously low

that GlobalWin coolers makes me think of Titan Siberia which did not do so good in my tests.

diver

Post by diver » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:39 am

Names of coolers are getting out of hand:
Ninja
Typhoon
Dominator - Does it wear black boots?

How about one called Katrina? That storm cooled off things in New Orleans for years to come.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 am

diver wrote: Dominator - Does it wear black boots?.
actually... yes:p

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:29 am

diver wrote:How about one called Katrina? That storm cooled off things in New Orleans for years to come.
...says someone who's obviously never been in the aftermath of a hurricane in the South. (It's summer, the power's out, so no air conditioning...)

Say, jmke, I don't suppose you could throw in a Scythe/Coolink Bat1vs (aka Noiseblocker Cool Scraper) in there? If you're in the USA, then I'll pay for it--it's really cheap at NewEgg, and other places. But for some reason I get the impression you're outside the USA. Is that right?

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:14 am

I'm in Belgium:) that bat you mention is not made by Scythe, just sold by them in US.

maybe something for the next roundup, but it's an older product... we'll see:)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:42 am

Yeah, everything on the packaging and documentation says "Coolink", not Scythe. I think Scythe is simply selling off the remaining stock, which is why it's so cheap in the USA. That's really the main reason why this cooler would be of interest.

I think Noiseblocker has a newer version, Cool Scraper v2, but it's a "full price" cooler. I don't think this model is available in the USA.

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:31 am

Well, I just installed this GlobalWin HSF and jmke, you guessed right! It's definitely loud. Considering good reviews on this fan, I guess this thing currently runs at maximum speed. My CPU temp is 30~35 oC, so I'll try to reduce the fan speed. I haven't figured out how though...

Btw, I was very disppointed with SVC and UPS. When I opened the package there was no protecting material at all and I found the plastic part that connects the fan to the HS was broken into pieces. Thanks to my krazy glue, I managed to restore it somehow... :lol:

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:29 pm

UPDATE: This IS quiet!

Well, laugh at me, but it turned out that I accidentally plugged the fan to the motherboard's NB fan connector. That's why it kept running at its maximum speed.
Now I connected it correctly, it spins at 800~900 rpm at idle and IT IS VERY QUIET. (Well, the reviews already said that...)

I haven't tested it with CPU loaded, but I think I will keep this longer than I first thought~ :D