What is the safe material to build CPU duct/shroud ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tempoct

What is the safe material to build CPU duct/shroud ?

Post by tempoct » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Any recommendation? What fire/heat resistance material?

diver

Post by diver » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 pm

Titanium.

But if you happen to be out of Ti, cardboard is nearly free and easy to work with.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:55 pm

nice

honestly, any paper material is fine

unless you have a really crappy PSU, nothing can really catch on fire

tempoct

Post by tempoct » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:24 pm

:D
Good thing I have some titanium sheet around. It should be somewhere next to my plutonium storage :lol:

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up :)

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:16 am

If you want something a bit more hardwearing then sheet Al is commonly available and pretty easy to work with.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:53 am

I use foam-board. It's trivial to work with (all you need is a craft knife), sturdy, light and thick enough that you can bevel to at corners (which if tough with something like cardboard).

Oh, and it doesn't conduct electricity either, so if it touches something electrical...

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:19 pm

nutball wrote:I use foam-board. It's trivial to work with (all you need is a craft knife), sturdy, light and thick enough that you can bevel to at corners (which if tough with something like cardboard).
(Glances over at unused sheets of foam board in corner...)

Is there any kind of adhesive you would recommend to use with it? I have a bunch of alternatives available, but haven't decided what to try yet.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:02 pm

would you also have any cutting techinques?

I cut up some old foam board, the end result was not pretty

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 am

You can also use styrene, as recently mentioned in the Quiet and OC Pentium D arcticle, and originally mentioned here.
You can cut it by making a line with a hobby knife and cracking it, you can then bevel the edges :wink: with the hobby knife, and you can put bends in it by heating it up with a hairdryer in your desired position and holding it until it cools down. Just make sure you get the right glue, the dude in the hobby store I went to sold me the wrong one, luckily I didn't actually need it for my mod.
This stuff is good because you can get very professional looking results (look at the abovementioned arcticle), although it does take a bit of practice to get something that looks that good, as I have noticed :lol:

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:11 am

BrianE wrote:
nutball wrote:I use foam-board. It's trivial to work with (all you need is a craft knife), sturdy, light and thick enough that you can bevel to at corners (which if tough with something like cardboard).
(Glances over at unused sheets of foam board in corner...)

Is there any kind of adhesive you would recommend to use with it? I have a bunch of alternatives available, but haven't decided what to try yet.
I've been using "Loctite All Purpose Adhesive" ... so basically any bog-standard household glue I reckon! I have to say that my choice may not be totally ideal, because the solvent in the glue has a mild melting effect on the foam ... but it's not bad enough to have made me try anything else.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:15 am

theyangster wrote:would you also have any cutting techinques?

I cut up some old foam board, the end result was not pretty
I've never tried it with old foam board (presumably the foam goes dry and dusty??). Otherwise, sharp craft knife, steel ruler, a good surface to cut on (eg. a thick piece of cardboard), plus care and patience.

Bevelling is more of an acquired art, and not strictly necessary, I do it because I'm a fuss-pot! :D

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:46 am

fedex boxes work great...and they have sticky edges all ready for you ;)