Badong Duct

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MGP

Badong Duct

Post by MGP » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:03 pm

Hey everyone,

Here's a little something I found at dansdata that may appeal to people that want to duct their cpu. http://www.dansdata.com/badong.htm
apparently, though, it's only truly effective with poorly ventilated cases (which probably goes with all fan ducting). anyways, just so you know!

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:32 pm

I'm actually trying to find a USA based dealer that carries this as this is the type of duct I've been looking for sometime. My idea is to route the air from my Alpha 8045 straight out the back of the case.

Incidentally I first stumbled across various pictures of a duct like this on http://www.koreamod.com/ last summer and although I can't read Korean they had pictures featuring variations of colored tubes. Since it seems like alot of the latest mod parts are manufactured in Korea these days, that site often features stuff you won't see here in the USA often for a few months. Surf around their site and you'll see some bizzare products. :lol:

quokked

Post by quokked » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:50 pm

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/whisperkit.html direction has the enermax whisper kit, pretty much the same thing as a badong duct, easily rigged up with some heating ducting yourself and some *shock* duct tape :)

MGP

Post by MGP » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:58 am

however, the whisper kit comes with a fan attached, and the fan (60mm) is loud so I've heard. the width of the tubing in the enermax so-called "whisper" kit is too small for good, quiet airflow.

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:34 pm

Currently, I don't think my fans are in an optimal setup. I have the standard dual fan PSU with the bottom fan blowing air up and the rear fan of the PSU blowing out of the PSU. I have a 80mm Turbo Cool fan (came with my Chieftec DX-01BD, Antec SX1030 clone) blowing down on to my SLK-800. The hs fan is blowing in the opposite direction as the bottom PSU fan. I could switch the orientation of both my PSU fans to match with my hs fan, but then hot air at the top wouldn't be exhausted. I could also switch the orientation of just my heatsink fan and they would form a nice stream of air, but the SLK-800 works better with air being blown directly on the heatsink. Would this duct idea solve my problems by letting me blow cool air onto my SLK-800 and then have my PSU fans only exhaust the hot air coming out the bottom sides of my SLK-800? The two PSU fans and my hs fan are the only fans in my case. To make this duct idea effective would I have to add a fan to the front (back of the case) of the duct, or should I take off the fan on my SLK-800 and move it to the front (back of the case) of the duct?

Drewscriver

Post by Drewscriver » Mon May 05, 2003 10:52 am

Just a heads up, looks like directron just started carrying the badong. They've got the 80mm, 70mm and two 60mm versions (though I suspect that most forumgoers will only be interested in the 80mm).

al bundy

Badong Review at Ars Technica...

Post by al bundy » Fri May 16, 2003 2:39 am

FYI everyone, a recent review of the Badong was done over at Ars Technica. You can read it here.

8)

JEN

Post by JEN » Fri May 16, 2003 4:06 am

I would have thought that type of pipe would make a lot of turbulance noise ?

Does anyone know where do get some flexible pipe which I can fix to a 80mm fan and the slk800.

Plus some sort of fixings, which would allow the pipe to be fixed to the fan and the head sink.

Any ideas ???

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sat May 17, 2003 5:43 pm

I'd like som flexible pipe too. I have some ideas which types of companies that might have such things.. but nothing more. Its not the type of stuff ventilation companies use. They use more fixed type metal or hard-plastic tubes.

Anyone that have seen the excellent Warren Aronofsky movie "Pi" knows what I mean. The main (and pretty much the only) character has his strange chip in a glassbox with some tubes going in the glassbox and around the room. Assuming its ventilation but could be to use som other gas or something.. but that detail is not really important for the story. :P

Would be nifty AND silent to put the machine in a glass-box like that. :) If not silent enough one can just use a box in a box.. or even a third box.. and it WILL be silent. Well.. dont know if the pipes themselves will make any turbulence noise if you crank up the flow.. but without any pipe I cant test that.

George

Post by George » Sat May 17, 2003 7:18 pm

That pipe looks alot like flexible vinly vents use on bathroom exhaust fans and on clothes dryers (though I think its no longer aproved for dryers cause of fire hazzards) either way you can get this stuff at most hardware stores - I think theres also a flexible metal foil type that can withstand dryer temps

And yes "Pi" was a great movie --be cool to build a replica of that pc

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Mon May 19, 2003 10:58 pm

Hardware store? There are some items for specific uses. But not custom length and the flexibility I need. Foil is probably too heavy too. I need something with plastic or fabric.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Tue May 20, 2003 12:33 am

They have these Badong ducts in almost all the stores in Akihabara over here. They are basically just foil wrapped around a spiral expandable wire frame with a plastic mount for the fan and case. Just like the old clothes dryer vents, only foil and smaller.

A good idea, but for $20.00.....

I think I am just going to build something DIY out of sound absorbing foam and some sort of frame to hold the foam in shape. Just have to figure out the mounts...

George

Post by George » Tue May 20, 2003 12:42 am

The stuff at the hardware stores /home centers Aka Home Depot here in the states, comes in 6 feet or longer - its easy to cut- both the vinly (plastic) and the foil versions are Very lightweight. I think its around 5 inches in diameter. I paid 7 bucks (3 years ago) for 6 feet of the vinly stuff. Its very flexible, imagine a giant Slinky covered in either vinly or foil. But I guess you would still have to figure out a way to adapt it to the cpu and since the badong isnt too expensive, it may not be worth all the trouble, unless you wanted more than one.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue May 20, 2003 5:15 am

Ive thought about this alot also. If you want a really cheap duct then just get some posterboard, or cardboard, then duct tape the hell out of it to give it some strength (or even reinforce it with something like plastic, or a second layer or posterboard ect.). If you design it right it will probably be quieter and have better airflow than the badong. I think im going to hold it up with the fan screw holes, and if i have a problem with the duct/shroud vibrating due to the fan, then ill just make a new set of holes for the duct around the fan, to hold it up.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue May 20, 2003 6:48 am

The dryer duct you get from places like Home Depot is used by many as a cheap ($7) solution. I looked into this but one thing I noticed was that when the duct is placed near the HSF, the exhaust fan starts to become loud with turbulence. I have a mid-sized case so my exhaust fan is close to my HSF. If you have a larger case it might be possible to use this without the extra noise, but if you have a larger case you probably don't need a duct.

Uwackme

Using a Duct well

Post by Uwackme » Wed May 28, 2003 10:07 pm

Why wouldnt you just use a duct to connect the inflow of your HSF to the outside world? Making it another inflow fan. Ex:... that I will be doing myself this weekend....

Take your SLK3700 type case, 1 120mm input, 1 120mm output and 1 80mm output. If you add a vent duct for a 80mm HSF so it pulls in fresh air, you have 120/80 input and 120/80 output balance AND the CPU gets cooled from outside air.

Perhaps sound material in the duct....fiberglass inner liner, walls, etc? could even add the benefit of further quieting the HSF noise.

Part of why i didnt just grab the Badong was it's too short to get from HSF to somewhere useful.