cpu temp doesn't change with or without heatsink fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mai9

cpu temp doesn't change with or without heatsink fan?

Post by mai9 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:25 pm

the mobo is a Gigabyte K8NF9, the cpu: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, the heatsink a Scythe Ninja, the fan the orange Nexus.

The thing I don't understand is that the mobo has three temp sensors, and the program sensorsview says the cpu is at 71ºC, speedfan also shows that sensor, but since it doesn't say where it belongs I assumed it was a bizarro sensor. The SYS temp (according to sensorsview) is 25ºC. The AUX temp (case) is 37ºC. hard disks are 30ºC.

The thing is, with or without fan, that sensor is at the same temp. What do you think?

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Unless you overcloc the cpu a LOT I doubt you can get up to 71 degrees with a Ninja and mounted fan so it's most likely the sensor is wrong.

One possibility might be that you mounted the Ninja incorrect so it doesn't have proper connection with the cpu. Try remount it and see if that makes any difference or try the cpu+cooler on a friends motherboard

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:44 pm

Leave the fan off and start up Prime95 or CPU Burn. Whatever temperature jumps up is your CPU temperature. I'm guessing it's the one that reads 37'C.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Does that 71C temperature appear as soon as you switch on the PC and not change?
I had an issue with my NF4 Ultra board, where the sensor was getting the wrong info because I had MBM5 installed and it was messing up my sensors. It may also be to do with old nVidia drivers (but I see you have SMART readings, so maybe not).
If it is your CPU sensor then it will gradually rise in temp from start up and settle at idle. It will spike upward very quickly (then down again) in response to CPU demand though.
Temp 1 in Speedfan is usually your CPU and Temp 2 the System (not NB) temp.

mai9

Post by mai9 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:06 pm

thanks for your fast answers, my replies:

McBanjo, I don't overclock, and, mmmm... I don't think I mounted it wrong, but it could be, I'll try that at last resort.

Bobendren, I did that, and the 37ºC jumped to 43ºC. That was a real prove. Thanks for the idea.

and yes Firetech, I tested that and it does start at 70ºC at start-up after hours of being switched off. I don't have MBM5 installed. and in my case, temp1 is the lowest, and temp3 the highest (71ºC), it looks like temp2 is the cpu.

so, my conclusion is that the cpu is at 37ºC and that 71ºC (which sometimes moves to 70 and sometimes 72) is.... well, I don't know.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:08 am

mai9 wrote:so, my conclusion is that the cpu is at 37ºC and that 71ºC (which sometimes moves to 70 and sometimes 72) is.... well, I don't know.
There's a good chance the 70C sensor is for the VRM. Those babies run HOT, up to 165C.