Best socket 939 cooler that uses the AMD socket connection?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MattHelm

Best socket 939 cooler that uses the AMD socket connection?

Post by MattHelm » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:50 am

I have a system that I've already built, so don't want to tear apart, but want a good cooler for.

I need something that will cool a A64 x2 4800+ but uses the socket connection that are already there, so I don't have to remove the MB. I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe in a LARGE case, so anything that will fit the MB should work.

Any suggestions????

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:17 am

Thermalright HR-01 with fanduct. But you must have a 120mm fan in the rear or in the top of the case near the cpu (like the Antec p180, p150) You might need a "S-clip" to turn the cooler if it's turned "wrong". In P180 this doesn't really matter.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Did your stock heatsink look like this?

If so replace the 80mm fan with a 80mm fan of your choice.

If that doesn't look like the stock HSF that came with your CPU you can get it for under $20 US from http://www.heatsinkoutlet.com/AMD-B.htm and it is almost as good as a Thermalright XP-90.

If your stock AMD HSF looks like this:

no heat pipes and a 70mm fan, then I guess you can toss it. I've never heard anyone brag about quiet 70mm fans for a CPU HSF setup.

Of course I have 2 of the 70mm version that I'd love to replace with the 80mm version or even better a Thermalright XP-120. But honestly with cool n quiet enabled the stock 70mm fan isn't noticable in my current config.

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:31 am

dhanson865 wrote: If that doesn't look like the stock HSF that came with your CPU you can get it for under $20 US from http://www.heatsinkoutlet.com/AMD-B.htm and it is almost as good as a Thermalright XP-90.
Or you can order it from EndPCNoise.com for $11.95 plus shipping: AMD Heatpipe HSF

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:28 am

If you look at the picture more closely you'd realise they are considerably different designs.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=1962 gives a review of the 70mm part ( AVC Z7U7414001)

Manufacturer: Asia Vital Components (AVC)
Model No.: Z7U7414001
Materials: Copper base, heatpipes and aluminum fins
Fan Spec: 3800-5400RPM, 12V, 0.70A BB
Fan Dim: 15x70x70mm
Heatsink & Fan Dim: 77x97x73mm
Weight: 447 grams
Includes: Pre-applied SC-5022 thermal compound

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399 gives a review of the 80mm part (unkown part number)

The heatsink has 8mm thick copper base, measures ~90mm x 75mm first to last alum fins. It sits a bit off-set as the picture shows. The fan is 80x20mm; Delta, reaches up to ~5,200 RPM, inclusive a temp sensor to auto regulate its speed.

There is a reason for the difference in price between the two. So unless you think endpcnoise is shipping the 80mm version I'd avoid it.

To add to the fun the AMD 80mm 4 heatpipe version is only a great idea if you have 80mm fans laying around unused.

If you know you want to use a 92mm or 120mm fan you are better off dealing with changing the mounting and dealing with a Thermalright XP-90 (aluminum) or Thermalright XP-120 and put a slow to medium speed fan on it (think Yate Loon, Nexus, Scythe).
Last edited by dhanson865 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:05 am

dhanson865 wrote:If you look at the picture more closely you'd realise they are considerably different designs. . . . There is a reason for the difference in price between the two. So unless you think endpcnoise is shipping the 80mm version I'd avoid it...
Sorry, I apparently lost part of my post when editing it.

The picture at EndPCNoise is not correct. They are shipping the current 80mm, 4-heatpipe version--I just received one from them, and installed it on a 2.4GHz Clawhammer.

I was planning to replace the 80mm fan with a Panaflo that I have on hand, but, with Cool n' Quiet and Speedfan controlling things, it's very quiet, except under a heavy load such as Prime 95. Since this system is rarely pushed very hard, I think I'll wait for a bit . . .

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:50 pm

Towermax wrote:
dhanson865 wrote: If that doesn't look like the stock HSF that came with your CPU you can get it for under $20 US from http://www.heatsinkoutlet.com/AMD-B.htm and it is almost as good as a Thermalright XP-90.
Or you can order it from EndPCNoise.com for $11.95 plus shipping: AMD Heatpipe HSF
OK, lets assume they will ship the 80mm version and the picture is wrong. Given the cost of S&H at endpcnoise.com I'd end up paying $19.28 instead of 19.50 at heatsinkoutlet.com. I think I'd pay 22 cents just for the honest total price listing instead of the shifty, put in all my information (name, address, phone number) before I find out the price, policy.

Not a big difference in price either way. If I could get one shipped to me for a total price below $12 I'd be all over it.

disclaimer: I've never ordered from either source and don't have this particular part in hand. I'm only stating my opinion based on what I've seen on the web...

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:06 pm

My post was not intended to recommend one vendor over another, but rather to note an alternate source from whom I had just bought the HSF being discussed.

They're probably both good vendors. I have no experience with Heatsink Outlet, but they look fine. EndPCNoise is an SPCR sponsor, and I've had several satisfactory transactions with them.

I do agree with you that it's preferable to get shipping costs without providing all your personal information first. On the other hand, some people dislike using PayPal, which is all that Heatsink Outlet accepts.

On my recent order for the heatsink and a 120MM Nexus fan, the total shipping at EndPCNoise was $6.01, perhaps because I'm geographically closer to them than you are. I suspect that, like many places, they have a minimum shipping charge which can be off-putting when you're just ordering one small item.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Oh and for the record if the APack ZeroTherm BTF80 were available in the US below $30 shipped I'd take it over the unknown 80mm heatpipe AMD stock HSF and it will work with the existing 939 or AM2 rention bracket.

To me the order by pricing is:

Code: Select all

Heatsink/Fan                             Noise Fan V  °C Rise °C/W MP Weight
Ajigo MF064-074 (70mm fan no pipes)($00) ??    ?      ??      0.??    373
AVC Z7U7414001 (70mm 4 heat pipes) ($00) ??    ?      ??      0.??    440
Unknown (80mm 4 heat pipes,$20+fan)($25) ??    ?      ??      0.??    ???

Thermalright XP-90, Nexus 92      ($35)  20   12      22      0.29   ~460 (360+fan)
Thermalright XP-120, Nexus 120    ($45)  20    9      27      0.27    493 (370+fan)
I'm assuming free for the 70mm stock heatsinks but if you already have a 80mm version feel free to ignore the other 2 of the top 3 heatsinks in the list.

I'm also assuming that you can get a quality low speed fan for under $5 from a vendor that sells the thermalright products. There are many vendors that will bundle a fan for a dollar or two less than selling it without the heatsink. You just then have to adjust the voltage to match the noise level of the Nexus (if you aren't letting the motherboard control it).

Assuming you aren't overclocking or trying to go fanless the difference in cooling power between these is a non issue. However each step up in price gets you a friendly mounting point for a bigger fan and bigger may be quieter if you do it right.

With the given that the XP-90 and XP-120 make you change the retention bracket. I'd be willing to do that as I've read that you can do so without removing the motherboard if you can get the screws to pick up the backplate before it slides around and worst case you take the motherboard out.

The thing I REALY like about these 3 coolers is that I can use any fan I like on them, easily swap the fan as often as I like, they are all at or below the 500g level after fan weight, and they all cool the motherboard parts around the CPU socket. It's nice to know that you get some air across your 3phase or 4phase power regulation keeping your PSU from ramping up as much as opposed to what would happen if the airflow wasn't right in that area.

GeezerMan

AM2 compatible?

Post by GeezerMan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Anyone know for certain if the AMD heatpipe HSF will fit on a AM2 board? I'm pretty sure it will, but wanted to know if you guys know any different.
Thanks

inti

Post by inti » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:10 am

Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to use a Scythe Ninja? At least, it fitted the existing socket 939 baseplate/retention bracket on my motherboard (ATI A8R32-MVP) without any work to the underside of the board, although it may be different on other motherboards (the heatsink comes with a baseplate in case the one on the motherboard is not big enough/strong enough). I upgraded my CPU from A64 to A64 X2 recently and was able to remove and reinstall the Ninja while the motherboard and all other system components were in the case.

dhanson865

Re: AM2 compatible?

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 am

GeezerMan wrote:Anyone know for certain if the AMD heatpipe HSF will fit on a AM2 board? I'm pretty sure it will, but wanted to know if you guys know any different.
Thanks
Socket 939 and AM2 are identical for the purposes of mounting one of the "stock" AMD heatsinks.