CPU cooler for E6600 recommendations?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shin

CPU cooler for E6600 recommendations?

Post by shin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:33 am

Right guys I would like some advice im a newbie in cpu cooling,

looking at coolers im looking particulary at the scythe range or the thermalright range, im still open to susgestions. I have a full tower so if the cooler is large dont matter. If its quiet thats a plus, and most important for me - Easy to install plz!

And another thing, some of these coolers I have been looking at are weighing in nearly 1kg, is this ok for my motherboard ? Ive heard horror strories of coolers pulling sockets off the motherboard, are these just myths?

PC details -
CPU: E6600 aka 2.4ghz Conroe (stock cooler right now)
MB: MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition
Ram: 2X 1gb Corsair xms2 800mhz
PSU: 650W Akasa power plus

thnx guys

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:11 am

Thermalright SI-120 and a YL 120mm fan.

You get the whole thing ~600 grams. which is reasonable considering how much all the tower-type coolers today wiegh.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:55 am

Welcome to SPCR! :-)

The guideline from Intel (I think) is that the cooler should be at max 450g to be safe.
But then it depends a bit on what you are using the computer for and how it's mounted. A stationary desktop can probibly handle over 2kg while a LAN-computer might risk damage if the cooler is above those 450g and are carried in a careless way.

Then it depends on where the weightcenter of the cooler is as well. The futher away from the motherboard the more force are done to the motherboard.
It can be canceled by adding some support to the cooler, tie it togheter with the PSU or so

The storys aren't a myth but a fact created by careless stupidity :wink:

I think that most coolers are rather easy to install on Intels motherboards (s775). The old system is/was a pain in the rear

Schythe Ninja is popular on this site

GentleGiant
Friend of SPCR

Look to the past...

Post by GentleGiant » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:48 am

I'd actually suggest the Zalman CNPS 7700-AlCu, or the 7000-AlCu with Zalman's adaptor for socket 775.

For an all in one, simple heatsink these are still a great choice. And it will work just great on a 65w cpu like the Conroe 6600, even with the fan controller turned all the way down.

It's got what you need, without the hassle of installing a Ninja and seperate fan - I've done that and it was a real challenge, as the heatsink is large enough to cover some of the motherboard screws from direct access.

The last page of the Zalman 7700 review has data for the both of these, on a 65 watt processor. The 7000 cools nearly as well as the larger 7700, but you have to buy Zalman's additional mounting bracket to use it on s775 motherboard, this negates most of the price advantage.

paapaa

Re: Look to the past...

Post by paapaa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:10 am

GentleGiant wrote:I'd actually suggest the Zalman CNPS 7700-AlCu, or the 7000-AlCu with Zalman's adaptor for socket 775.
I wouldn't recommend those. I have CNPS7000-Cu and the fan is really noisy. The noisiest fan in my system even at 5 volts. Buy Ninja Plus and run the included fan at 5V. It should be silent.