Optimal temp for my conroe?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The I

Optimal temp for my conroe?

Post by The I » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 am

I guess this might have been asked before, but anyways...

I run my e6600 system with a 7900 GT in a Lian Li S80. CPU is cooled by a Scythe Mine and GPU by a VF900.

I control fans using speedfan and am fairly satisfied - the case I have obviously doesn't have an optimal airflow and since my hdd (p120) isn't suspended I'm quite satisfied that it runs pretty quiet .

Now my question is which temperature to aim at. Currently I’m running speedfan with a temperature target of 45 degrees for temp 2 (that’s actually my case temp, CPU never gets much over 40 on speedfan’s measurement). This target means 50-60 % on the three 120 mm fans of the case and the 100 mm on the Scythe and noise varying from quiet to near-silent. My case temp is constantly at 45 degrees, occasionally making my fans ramp to 60 % in idle and keeping them on a pretty constant 60 when I play games. Core temp reports cpu-temps of 48 and 50 degrees at that level.

So my question is simply, should I keep my target temps lower for the sake of the cpu? (haven’t had stability problems, but I wouldn’t like to ‘wear’ on it) – or could I set my target even higher?

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:39 am

A couple of days ago I did some testing on an Intel DG965WH with an E6600, stock cooler, the idle temp is around 42° and the max temp is around 70°.
Please use TAT to find out your maximum temp:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115390

the DL link is in the first row

:)

Aeria

Post by Aeria » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 pm

charger2000 wrote:A couple of days ago I did some testing on an Intel DG965WH with an E6600, stock cooler, the idle temp is around 42° and the max temp is around 70°.
Please use TAT to find out your maximum temp:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115390

the DL link is in the first row

My 3ghz e6400 gets up to about 67° full load with this. Thats with a ninja with a very slow fan and 7v case fans.

This TAT thing is the ultimate stress program, gets my cpu 6-7 degrees hotter than Orthos.

The I

Post by The I » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:26 pm

Tested with TAT as well and got 67 degrees (64 on core 1, for some reason it's always 1-3 degrees lower). This gets the cpu temp in speedfan around 50 and occasionally it hits 51 which makes the fans speed up for a little until it's under 50 again.
The temperatures reported by TAT seems to be the same as for core-temp btw, while speedfan seems to tap into the same sensors as the Asus bios and the ai-booster-program.

But still, which temps are healthy to 'aim' for? Using speedfan I can pretty much set the temperature the system will be at and it will stay at that in both idle and load (at least any 'non-artificial' load).

I think my idle-temps right now is about 50 with the measurement in tat and core-temp. My 'normal' load temp is about 60 with the same measurement. Is that 'healthy' and should I consider aiming for anything higher or lower?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:47 pm

The CPU will outlive its usefulness even if run at a core temp of 70C 24/7.

Set the fan speed just below audibility, and enjoy the quiet. :D

[Yes, I'm well aware that there are others on this forum who think the opposite: that 45C is too high...]

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:41 pm

yes, I would care only about the max temp, if using the stock cooler the temp is around 70°, with a Ninja it should be some deg below

P.S. obviously with a different MB you'll get a different read

P.P.S. using TAT AND Orthos, the max temp is 72° :twisted:

The I

Post by The I » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 am

cmthomson wrote:The CPU will outlive its usefulness even if run at a core temp of 70C 24/7.

Set the fan speed just below audibility, and enjoy the quiet. :D

[Yes, I'm well aware that there are others on this forum who think the opposite: that 45C is too high...]
Hmm, that sounds rather nice. Anyone out there 'who think the opposite' to tell me why I should worry about keeping my temps to high?
My 3ghz e6400 gets up to about 67° full load with this. Thats with a ninja with a very slow fan and 7v case fans.
Just wondering: which voltages are you doing 3 gigs on?
- I believe I got there at standard (I think it was around 3.1 I would need to up it), but I lowered it again because I worried a little about temps and silence and prefered an undervolt for that reason.