Arctic Cooling - Silencer 64 Ultra TC

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ursvik

Arctic Cooling - Silencer 64 Ultra TC

Post by ursvik » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:40 am

This cooling solution has a 92 mm fan with internal temperature control (TC stands for this )
I can see a thermal sensor wedged between the fins of the heatsink.

Now i am using bios speed control and this fan messes with it i think, it hardly ever spins up above 1000rpm which is the minimum rating for the fan.

Can i just "short circuit" the sensor, or should i lock the voltage to 12 V in bios and leave the fan to its own devices?

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 am

I would try to lock the voltage to 12V first. The thermal control is supposed to work pretty well. If that does not work well enough for you, you might try disabling the thermal sensor. I've never done it so I can't help you.

Felger Carbon

Re: Arctic Cooling - Silencer 64 Ultra TC

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:26 am

ursvik wrote:...should i lock the voltage to 12 V in bios and leave the fan to its own devices?
If you're happy with the noise level and the CPU temperatures, leave it alone! :o

ursvik

Post by ursvik » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:39 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
ursvik wrote:...should i lock the voltage to 12 V in bios and leave the fan to its own devices?
If you're happy with the noise level and the CPU temperatures, leave it alone! :o
I was not happy with the temps. But now i have clipped the sensor. It runs nice and quiet until the core temp rise above 30C ( i dont trust that value, seems far too low ) Most of the time temp is lower than that so it is quiet. I think it is nicer to have the more exact and quick response to temperature compared to a sensor between the heatsink fins.

Only thing audible, at idle, seems to be the SmartPower 450 2.0

What is a reasonable full load core temp for a venice 3500+ ? (using cpu-BurnIn)

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am

ursvik wrote:What is a reasonable full load core temp for a venice 3500+ ? (using cpu-BurnIn)
i believe amd specs a maximum operating of 65-70 degrees centigrade.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 pm

I run mine at 60C using cpu-burn in. It runs just fine for me. Anything over 60C might be pushing it for stability. You want to leave some headroom for hotter days. 55C is probably the sweet spot but I have air conditining so it never gets too hot.