Infinity vs Ninja

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

preti9cboi

Infinity vs Ninja

Post by preti9cboi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 am

What's the difference? Ninja seems to be cheaper.

In trying to figure out what to buy for my 775 motherboard.

Felger Carbon

Re: Infinity vs Ninja

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 am

preti9cboi wrote:What's the difference? Ninja seems to be cheaper.
The Ninja is a time-tested product that works well and doesn't even need a fan unless you have an exceptionally hot CPU (Prescott or overclocking). The Infinity seems to be an experimental product that Scythe is testing the marketing waters with, and it's getting a mixed reaction. Needs a fan.

Do you want something that works well and works quietly, or are you experimentally oriented and willing to take chances pushing the state of the art?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:41 am

Also the Infinity is almost 1kg in weight, which is dangerous IMO.

preti9cboi

Post by preti9cboi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:40 pm

What do you mean it's dangerous? IT's too light?? SHould i get the Ninja then?

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Too heavy.

kater

Post by kater » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:22 pm

talking about cpu sockets ripped by giant & heavy heatsinks - has anyone ever seen this happen? or heard about that?

masses of ppl have been using ninjas, hr-01s and big typhoons forl long and also many ppl have been using infinitys for some time ... and i haven't even heard anyone talk about a friend's cousin-in-law relating his step-brother's problem with a ripped socket

i guess for a thing like that to happen one would have to take his rig mountain biking or offroading or sth like this

pcbs are pretty strong, backplates do their job too, and i bet manufacturers like scythe or thermalright, with tons of reputation and big $$$ at stake, wouldn't risk launching products that would amputate cpu sockets

amd's and intel's weight specifications for cpu heatsinks seem to be way to conservative and playitsafewise

nici

Post by nici » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:54 pm

A heavy heatsink will rip out the CPU from its socket if the computer falls from a table for example. I know my 7700Cu ripped out my CPU, but the retention system did not break and it pushed the CPU back against the socket and bent half of the pins. Everything still worked after making the pins straight, wich took a couple of hours with a knife and some pliers. But in normal use i cant see a heavy heatsink damaging anything. If you are really worried just put some wires that take some load off of it. If you transort it a lot, lay it on its side.

c10000

Post by c10000 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:57 am

Be aware that there are reports on the newest Ninja revision (Rev. B) not compatible with some 775 boards.

Look for threads in this forum. There are a few of them in the last few days.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:45 am

kater wrote:masses of ppl have been using ninjas, hr-01s and big typhoons forl long and also many ppl have been using infinitys for some time ... and i haven't even heard anyone talk about a friend's cousin-in-law relating his step-brother's problem with a ripped socket
Actually, in about 2000 I did have one of the center plastic clips on a Socket A bracket pulled off. The heatsink was one that was retained solely by the center clips and not the additional outer two on each side. Fortunately, getting a 6-clip heatsink salvaged the motherboard, but this wasn't even close to the giant heatsinks we have today. I am a huge fan of bolt-through heatsinks now.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:01 am

Scrooge wrote:Actually, in about 2000 I did have one of the center plastic clips on a Socket A bracket pulled off. The heatsink was one that was retained solely by the center clips and not the additional outer two on each side.
Luckily for everyone, the new and improved AM2 mounting uses just one center clip on each side, just like Socket A. :twisted:

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:18 am

kater wrote:talking about cpu sockets ripped by giant & heavy heatsinks - has anyone ever seen this happen? or heard about that?
I know of a case where someone shipped two computers with Zalman (7700?) CPU heat flower sinks attached. Both machines were dead on arrival. There was no visible damage, but neither machine would post.

Jason

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:16 pm

If you have to transport a computer, and you have one of those big heatsinks on it, you may want to consider taking the heatsink off.

phartknokr

Post by phartknokr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Given the difficulty in removing some of the large sinks, I would be more inclined to use some foam blocks inside the case to support the sink during transport.