Dilemma : Ultra 120 + NF-S12-1200 or Noctua NH-U12F?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

choco140

Dilemma : Ultra 120 + NF-S12-1200 or Noctua NH-U12F?

Post by choco140 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi,

I am facing some kind of dilemma, I am looking for the best air-cooling solution for a C2D E6400.

I can't make my mind between :
_ Thermalright Ultra 120 + Noctua S12-1200
_ Noctua NH-U12F (NH-U12 + S12-1200 in the same retail box)

Could you help me to choose?

Thanks.

PS : MB is Asus P5B Deluxe - P965.

Mari0-Br0s

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:43 am

Most user here will say Scythe Ninja.

On my side, I use an Ultra-120 and I'm completly satisfied.

I do not know the Noctua NH-U12F, so I can't tell.

ikaros

Post by ikaros » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:34 am

Hello to all the people here in SPCR!

I have been watching this site for too many months and I have to congratulate each and everyone for the nice job they do.

Well I am about to buy a heatsink for my AMD 64 3500 (AM2) and I have the same dilemma too.

Thermalright Ultra 120 or the Noctua NH-U12F.

I have read many nice opinions in some reviews about the Noctua. In SPCR a few months ago the former version of Noctua was reviewed which was U12.

The new one (NH-U12F) seems to be 70gr heavier so I don't know if there are any differences at heat dissipation.

Will SPCR going to review ths HS soon?

How about those Noctua fans?

I am waiting for an opinion of SPCR reviewers as I find they use very accurate methods of testing. (I bought a Seasonic s12-430 after your recommendation and I am REALLY glad! )

:)

PS. The Ninja HS is not an alternative as it is impossible to find it where I live.

I have an MSI K9N platinum mobo and I am interested to know if the thermalright ultra can rotate 90degrees so that the fan can push the air at the bottom of the box

Mari0-Br0s

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:57 pm

I have an MSI K9N platinum mobo and I am interested to know if the thermalright ultra can rotate 90degrees so that the fan can push the air at the bottom of the box
Yeah, Thermalright sells an adapter separatly called the S-Clip, which only you to do that.

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 am

You can find information about the fan in the recent article with a fan comparison in SPCR:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

It includes the Noctua, and in fact the Noctua is the best rated fan in that article.

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:58 pm

Hello,

I have the same dilemma somehow... :)

Noctua NH-U12F or Thermalright Ultra-120 + Noctua S12-1200.
I'm also considering adding an extra Noctua S12-1200 to either one I buy...

This will go with ASUS Commando or P5B Deluxe and E6600 + "some" overclocking.

PS: I have P180B.

Thanks for help!

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:04 pm

nVIDIA wrote:Hello,

Thanks for help!
Hi!

If you have a P180 case. Then why not get a Ninja Plus? That is if it's compatible with your Asus mobo? Have you checked at Scythe home? Antec P180 and Ninja is a perfect marriage!

Othervice, any of those 2 heatsinks you listed are very good.

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:42 pm

where?wolf wrote:

Thanks for help!
Hi!

If you have a P180 case. Then why not get a Ninja Plus? That is if it's compatible with your Asus mobo? Have you checked at Scythe home? Antec P180 and Ninja is a perfect marriage!

Thanks where?wolf!

Scythe says it's OK with Asus P5B Deluxe, but they don't say a word about Commando. And I don't like their "installation notice story", here:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... ontip.html - too much trouble IMHO...

Maybe it's just me, but personally I don't like the NINJA HS, because of its dimensions and because of the plastic?/unsure retention system. It's 770g in the end...

And take a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=37668
:roll:

Question: I know Ninja goes very well with P180B. What's my second best? Let's say with the same (low?) airflow, how's Ninja compared to 2nd best(and P180B)?

Thanks again!

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm in the same boat.

I had decided on the Ninja, but after reading too many stories on the Rev B problems with 775 boards, I've reluctantly decided to look elsewhere.

I'm now down to 3. The 2 mentioned here (Ultra-120 or NH-U12F), plus the Ultra-120's little brother (not so little), the HR-01.

The HR-01 is appealing to me for several reasons:
  • It's the lightest of the 3, weighing in at only 525g, compared to 700g+ for the others.
  • It's the least expensive of the 3 (hey, so I'm cheap).
  • It includes a vent that looks like it might fit in my P150/SOLO setup perfectly.
  • It seems to have a pretty decent mounting system. Edit: I thought it came standard, but it seems that the mounting system I was referring to is an optional extra.
The Ultra-120 probably squeezes a few more degrees C cooling out than the other two, but I don't think I'll need that. Then again .... :lol:[/url]
Last edited by Ken5d on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:03 pm

nVIDIA wrote:Question: I know Ninja goes very well with P180B. What's my second best? Let's say with the same (low?) airflow, how's Ninja compared to 2nd best (and P180B)?
The Ninja is the only large HS with wide fin spacing and large fin area, making it ideal for passive cooling. The P180 works especially well with the Ninja because it places two 120mm fans in close proximity.

Some SPCR posters have been unhappy (to varying degrees) with the Ninja RevB. YMMV.

If you go with a large conventional (that is, close spaced fins) HSF, then the Ultra 120 and the Noctua/Coolink U8 are almost exactly alike for cooling purposes. Pick the easiest to mount with the fan directed at the rear exhaust fan, with price and availability obvious factors as well. That's my two cents worth. :wink:

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:04 pm

I recommend the Ninja over the Ultra-120.

It's more developed towards no/low airflow. If there is a fan somewhere near, it's enough to cool any CPU. It's really nice that it's as wide as it's high, there's no matter how to place it - really nice for fanless cooling.

I've got an AMD X2-4400+ S939. It's rated 120W TDP, at least, I thought. It's not superwarm and "Core Temp" rates it as 65W :?:

It's cooled by the Ninja easy, in an P180 With an Noctua [email protected]~30 CFM in the back. It's not ducted. And it isn't cooled by using the top-vent as an intake (see http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html)

I'm doing some thinking on the ducting. Trying to get some plastic to build it from.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:01 pm

I think I've decided on the HR-01. This article, which compares the HR-01 against the XP-120 & the Ultra-120, gave me enough information to go on:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=28 ... pert&pid=1

It's not the best heatsink review around (unfortunately, they didn't even try the HR-01 with a fan on it). But I like the more open fins of the HR-01, and I like having the option of trying it semi-active (i.e., using the vent to hook it up to the case exhaust fan).

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:10 am

nVIDIA wrote:
where?wolf wrote:

Thanks for help!
Hi!

Thanks where?wolf!

Scythe says it's OK with Asus P5B Deluxe, but they don't say a word about Commando. And I don't like their "installation notice story", here:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... ontip.html - too much trouble IMHO...

Maybe it's just me, but personally I don't like the NINJA HS, because of its dimensions and because of the plastic?/unsure retention system. It's 770g in the end...

And take a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=37668
:roll:

Question: I know Ninja goes very well with P180B. What's my second best? Let's say with the same (low?) airflow, how's Ninja compared to 2nd best(and P180B)?

Thanks again!
Well, now I dont have any exsperience with Ninja and the socket LGA 775 personally. Just the socket 754 and 939.

But there, I think the retension system is as good as on any other sink I have seen.

And the weight is mostly located towards the bottom plate of the Ninja. So there are'nt as much pressure on the socket / mobo as one can be lead to belive when you look at the Ninja.

But as I saw you are going for the Thermalright HR 01. You have choosen a very good heatsink. Duct it to the rear exhaust fan, or team it up with a 800 rpm, 120mm Noctua fan if you need additional cooling. And you have a very good, silent cooling combo.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 am

Ken5d wrote:I think I've decided on the HR-01. This article, which compares the HR-01 against the XP-120 & the Ultra-120, gave me enough information to go on:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=28 ... pert&pid=1

It's not the best heatsink review around (unfortunately, they didn't even try the HR-01 with a fan on it). But I like the more open fins of the HR-01, and I like having the option of trying it semi-active (i.e., using the vent to hook it up to the case exhaust fan).
I've never used an HR-01, but it occurs to me you might need to keep an eye on your VRM and northbridge temps if you use the duct, as they'll be getting even less airflow than with a regular tower HSF. Maybe the fan in your PSU would stir things around enough though.

If you're worried about weight and mounting security, both the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Noctua NH-U12F have bolt-through systems with a backplate and spring loaded screws rather than pushpins - the Noctua in particular is marketed as being "perfect for LAN gamers" although I'd take that with a pinch of salt and exercise caution anyway. IIRC the HR-01 comes as standard with a stock Intel-type pushpin mounting - probably OK with the lighter weight, but you'd have to buy the "bolt-thru" kit seperately if you wanted it.

Sorry if this muddies the waters for you again... :)

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:31 am

nick705 wrote:I've never used an HR-01, but it occurs to me you might need to keep an eye on your VRM and northbridge temps if you use the duct, as they'll be getting even less airflow than with a regular tower HSF. Maybe the fan in your PSU would stir things around enough though.

If you're worried about weight and mounting security, both the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Noctua NH-U12F have bolt-through systems with a backplate and spring loaded screws rather than pushpins - the Noctua in particular is marketed as being "perfect for LAN gamers" although I'd take that with a pinch of salt and exercise caution anyway. IIRC the HR-01 comes as standard with a stock Intel-type pushpin mounting - probably OK with the lighter weight, but you'd have to buy the "bolt-thru" kit seperately if you wanted it.

Sorry if this muddies the waters for you again... :)
Hey, no worries! Trading info is exactly what this site is all about. And indeed, one of the reasons I was left with the 3 HSFs in question is because they all use the bolt-through backplate mounting systems.

But, actually, based on what I've read, the HR-01 now ships standard with the same bracket used by the Ultra 120. It also comes with fan clips and the vent, standard. . Edit: I thought it came standard, but it seems that the mounting bracket is an optional extra.

It's funny you should bring up the VRM & NB temps, because the exact same thing occurred to me as I lay in bed last night thinking about this (too geeky, I know). The vent is definitely better for the PSU, and it probably aids overall case temps, but the VRM & NB will probably suffer a great deal. Where's the airflow to come from? The only hope (in my case, if I use the vent) would be the front intake fans' air flowing past, being sucked up by the PSU. It might work. If not, I'll just ditch the vent.
where?wolf wrote:But as I saw you are going for the Thermalright HR 01. You have choosen a very good heatsink. Duct it to the rear exhaust fan, or team it up with a 800 rpm, 120mm Noctua fan if you need additional cooling. And you have a very good, silent cooling combo.
That's very good to hear, I was getting a bit worried. In looking for a place to purchase the HR-01 last night, it seems that several sites sell all of Thermalright's HSFs except the HR-01. Very odd, but based on the few reviews I've read, and your statement, I don't think it's because it does a terrible job.

I'll probably start by using the vent with an exhaust fan only, which will be a 4-pin PWM fan (if the wire will fit all the way to the mobo cpu connector). If that doesn't work, it'll be a YL 120mm exhaust (cheaper than Noctua, though not quite as much airflow), and I'll put the PWM fan on the heatsink itself. Whichever I end up with, I'm hoping it will be silent (or close enough to it) under most conditions.

And, of course, if there's problems with VRM or NB cooling, I'll remove the vent (or maybe just add a slow moving fan somewhere on the mobo).
Last edited by Ken5d on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Good - You can get a back plate for the Ultra 120.

Bad, that center hole in the heatsink is where all the pressure to hold it in place is put. It's OK if Weebles Wobble, but not HS's.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 am

aristide1 wrote: Bad, that center hole in the heatsink is where all the pressure to hold it in place is put. It's OK if Weebles Wobble, but not HS's.
But does it wobble, in practice?

As long as the tension is suitable and the mating surfaces between the heatsink and the CPU heatspreader are stiff, flat and a reasonable size, a single point of pressure in the middle should be enough to hold it securely.

As an example, take something like a CD jewel box, press it against a wall with just one finger in the middle, and then try and pull it away from the wall with the other hand (keeping the finger in place).

Obviously that's an exaggerated comparison, but you get the idea.

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Okey... so I got today:

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP (revision 1.03g)
and in a day or two I'll get the
Noctua NH-U12F CPU Cooler + 1x extra NF-S12-1200 Fan

Hope I made the right/good decision 'cause I got tired of reading reviews and forums... :roll:

Question: How can you connect the Noctua fans to 4-pin CPU_FAN on the mobo ? :roll:

Thanks!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Does the Noctua use a backplate with socket 775?

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:47 pm

aristide1 wrote:Does the Noctua use a backplate with socket 775?
Yes. Take a look:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=973&pageID=2627

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 pm

YES!

Thanks

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Besides my latest question, this one,
"Question: How can you connect the Noctua fans to 4-pin CPU_FAN on the mobo ?"

I have another one I couldn't find an answer yet: is the Noctua NH-U12F 790g with or without the fan ? :)

rei

Post by rei » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Just find the reviews for the NF-U12 and you'll find the weight.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:52 pm

rei wrote:Just find the reviews for the NF-U12 and you'll find the weight.
I tried, and every review I read didn't specify.

My best guess, though, is that that is the weight without the fan.

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Ken5d wrote:
rei wrote:Just find the reviews for the NF-U12 and you'll find the weight.
I tried, and every review I read didn't specify.

My best guess, though, is that that is the weight without the fan.
This table is not clear:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... d=6&lng=en

and they don't say anywhere(reviews, etc.) what's the weight of the fan alone (NF-S12-1200).

My system will have NH-U12F + 2x NF-S12-1200 >= 1 Kg :P

Later edit:
"Question: How can you connect the Noctua fans to 4-pin CPU_FAN on the mobo ?"
Stupid Q as 2 pins are identical :roll:

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:10 am

I just got a reply from Noctua Support Team:
Q1: What is the weight of the NF-S12-1200 fan?
A1: the weight of the fan alone is 140g

Q2: What is the weight of the NH-U12F heatsink alone (WITHOUT the fan)?
A2: the weight of the heatsink alone is 780g
Also:
Q: I've just ordered Noctua NH-U12F + an extra NF-S12-1200 fan. I will be installing both in my system - I am worried if it's not too much weight for the mainboard.

A: Regarding the mounting mechanism the weight is absolut no problem, only transporting your computer is not recommended with the cooler installed on the mainboard.
It's not that they say "Perfect for LAN gamers!", here:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... g=en&set=2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 am

Also worth noting:
38 aluminium cooling fins for optimal heat dissipation
Thanks to a surface area of more than 5000cm²
The specs of the heatsink are:

Height (without fan) 155 mm
Width (without fan) 126 mm
Depth (without fan) 70 mm

Assuming the fins were simple rectangles, the total surface would be:

(38 fins)(126x70 mm^2) = 3351.6 cm^2

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:30 pm

J. Sparrow wrote:Also worth noting:

your calculation doesn't consider the fact that heat transfer happens from both sides of each fin...so, double your calculated area.

nVIDIA

Post by nVIDIA » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 pm

ryboto wrote:
J. Sparrow wrote:Also worth noting:

your calculation doesn't consider the fact that heat transfer happens from both sides of each fin...so, double your calculated area.
right, but than it's more than 5000 :lol:

Hey, stop saying bad things about this HS, 'cause I just ordered one... it's the best in the world :lol: :lol:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:35 pm

nVIDIA wrote:
right, but than it's more than 5000 :lol:

Hey, stop saying bad things about this HS, 'cause I just ordered one... it's the best in the world :lol: :lol:
it's more because he estimated a perfect rectangle, when the fins are actually smaller. I'm not saying bad things, just saw an equation with a small error, decided to join in the thread.