Questions about Scythe Ninja.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The_cranky_hermit

Questions about Scythe Ninja.

Post by The_cranky_hermit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:03 pm

I was recommended a Scythe Ninja to cool my processor. I'm planning on getting a Core 2 Duo E6300, in an Antec P180 case. But I have some questions.

Is there any reason not to get a Scythe Ninja Plus over the original revision?

I will not overclock the E6300, or anything else. I plan on using the machine to play games and eventually to watch HD videos (once they come out with the drives), and those are the most processor-intensive things I plan to do. For this, is passive cooling good enough, or should I attach a fan to the heatsink?

I also plan on removing the top fan from the P180, so I will have a spare TriCool. If you answered "yes" to the above question, am I better off using the included fan, or the spare TriCool?

Also, what's the best way to close up the vent once I remove the TriCool fan? Packing tape?

Thanks for the help.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:59 pm

A 6300 at stock speeds does not need a Ninja for cooling, unless you want to run it fanless. You definitely do not need to put a TriCool on a Ninja to cool a 6300.

As to Ninja Plus vs Ninja "classic", it depends on the motherboard. Some boards, such as the Asus P5B, have capacitors that stick up high enough to interfere with the Ninja Plus.

I like the older Ninja, because it works with almost all motherboards. It does, however, require the installation of a backplate (don't remove the backing from the sticky tape on the backplate!), which requires removing the motherboard from the chassis before installation; this is actually a good thing as it makes the heat sink installation a lot easier.

As for your ideas above: I'd suggest using a Ninja without a fan (passive). However, I'd suggest blocking the rear vent, and using an exhaust fan in the top vent.

You might find the TriCool on low to be quiet enough, but I didn't, and ended up using undervolted Nexus orange fans instead.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:59 pm

cmthomson wrote: As to Ninja Plus vs Ninja "classic", it depends on the motherboard. Some boards, such as the Asus P5B, have capacitors that stick up high enough to interfere with the Ninja Plus.
Small correction:
The Ninja Plus is the original Ninja with a fan. Same mounting mechanism.
The Ninja Plus rev. B is the version with the newer mounting bracket.

TBSN

Post by TBSN » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:58 am

Is there any way of knowing what motherboard the Rev. B will work with and what it will not? Does anyone have one on their mobo? (Or does anyone have a mobo that they know will not work with it?)
Thanks

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am

There have been many reports of problems mounting the Ninja Rev B on the Asus P5B, but also some reports of trouble-free installation. Apparently the height of the capacitors is variable (the Ninja bracket sits closer to the board than it is supposed to, but some boards have components lower to the board than strictly required).

There are two ways of dealing with a Rev B incompatibility (other than using different MB/HS components): file away the parts of the bracket that bump into the capacitors, or purchase the "classic" backplate-and-rail mounting kit for about $10.

TBSN

Post by TBSN » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:40 pm

Any idea where those can be found?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:05 pm

TBSN wrote:Any idea where those can be found?
Google SCURK1

Available in NA from Newegg and NCIX.

TBSN

Post by TBSN » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm

cool, I'll look for it.

::I found the 'SCURK1' at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185022, but it seems to actually replace the thing that holds the CPU in place on the mother board...?? (then allowing the old brackets from the HSF to work on any motherboard?)

I just dont get how this could replace this ....

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 am

So a Ninja would cool a E6300 passively if it's slightly overclocked quite comfortably? or we talking about 100C?
:oops: :P

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:10 am

TBSN wrote:cool, I'll look for it.

::I found the 'SCURK1' at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185022, but it seems to actually replace the thing that holds the CPU in place on the mother board...?? (then allowing the old brackets from the HSF to work on any motherboard?)

I just dont get how this could replace this ....
Hmm. I haven't actually seen a Rev B Ninja. Those photos definitely make me wonder if the spring clips of the Rev B (top left in second photo) are compatible with the rails of the older mounting system. To be completely safe, you might want to get a Ninja Plus instead of a Rev B.

Can someone who is familiar with both the old and new versions comment?

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm not sure, but I don't believe the original Ninja "Plus" is available anymore, unless used ofcourse. I have the original version and while I'm a bit skeptical about the newer push-pin mounting of the rev.B Ninja, it's basically the same thing when mounting the old Ninja on a s478 board, just a little less hardware needed. All that is holding the stock retention module to the board is 4 plastic pins and the Ninja is clipped to that. It's secure and haven't had any problems.
So a Ninja would cool a E6300 passively if it's slightly overclocked quite comfortably? or we talking about 100C?
There's already a few people around here that have posted pics, using a Ninja with no fan mounted to cool E6600's.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:34 pm

mbetea wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't believe the original Ninja "Plus" is available anymore, unless used ofcourse. I have the original version and while I'm a bit skeptical about the newer push-pin mounting of the rev.B Ninja, it's basically the same thing when mounting the old Ninja on a s478 board, just a little less hardware needed. All that is holding the stock retention module to the board is 4 plastic pins and the Ninja is clipped to that. It's secure and haven't had any problems.
There's already a few people around here that have posted pics, using a Ninja with no fan mounted to cool E6600's.
What about the E6700 (with the Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo) and minimal overclocking - can I get by without a fan?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:17 pm

Hello Stephen,

It depends:

on the case

on the exhaust fan(s) and how close they are to the CPU

on the PS

on the video card and other significant heat sources

on whether you can use a duct

:o

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:49 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello Stephen,

It depends:

on the case -Antec P180

on the exhaust fan(s) and how close they are to the CPU -I'm not sure - I'll be building with the Intel 975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) mobo
on the PS Ante NeoHE500

on the video card and other significant heat sources- haven't decided on the video card yet

on whether you can use a duct - No

:o