CPU heatsink for a Silverstone HTPC case

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aljordan

CPU heatsink for a Silverstone HTPC case

Post by aljordan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:04 am

Hi,

I am considering buying the relatively new Silverstone Grandia GD01 htpc case. I currently have a Scythe Mine CPU cooler, which has a height of 150mm. The Silverstone GD01 has a total height of 170mm. Does anyone know if the Scythe mine will fit into a HTPc case? If not, what would be a good recommendation? I am considering a Zalman CNPS9500 AT, which has a height of 125mm, but any other recommendations or information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Alan

where?wolf

Re: CPU heatsink for a Silverstone HTPC case

Post by where?wolf » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:49 am

aljordan wrote:Hi,

I am considering buying the relatively new Silverstone Grandia GD01 htpc case. I currently have a Scythe Mine CPU cooler, which has a height of 150mm. The Silverstone GD01 has a total height of 170mm. Does anyone know if the Scythe mine will fit into a HTPc case? If not, what would be a good recommendation? I am considering a Zalman CNPS9500 AT, which has a height of 125mm, but any other recommendations or information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Alan

I does sound a bit tight with the Scythe mine.

The Zalman cooler is a good performer. But noisy at full speed

But a Thermalright XP 120 ( L110 x W125 x H63) with a Nexus 120mm would work better I guess. With a Nexus fan, you get the same cooling ability as the Zalman on full throttle, but much more quiet.

The only pain with the Thermalright XP series is, that the clips are very stiff.

You also should visit Thermalright home for a motherboard compability check. Also, if you are going to use a socket 775 Intel cpu? Then you need to get the socket LGA 775 retension bracket.

If it shows the XP 120 wont work? Then the smaller XP 90 or XP 90 C (all copper version) should work.

I have the regular XP 90 with a 120mm Nexus on it. And it cools well. I could'nt use a XP 120 with the mobo I had when I bought the XP 90 unfortunatly. But the overhang from the bigger fan, also cools the components around the socket.

runninkyle17

Post by runninkyle17 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:46 pm

I have the same case and the Scythe won't fit. The 9500 will and the XP-120 will definately fit.

I am using the XP-120 and I like it because it also cools the parts of the mobo around the CPU. Plus with the clearance around the XP-120 you can also put a thin 80X15mm fan in the vent that is next to the processor to add a little extra exhaust.

The 9500 is great and if you keep it from getting up to full speed I would go with that one. However, the XP-120 will cool around the motherboard and the CPU if you have the fan blowing down.

aljordan

Post by aljordan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:31 am

I have the same case
Hi,

How do you like the case? Are the included fans quiet? Many people have expressed disapointment in the Lascala LC-20 when it comes to putting the components into the case. Did you find that the GD-01 had problems in this regard?

Thanks,
Alan

Vittorinox

Post by Vittorinox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:21 pm

The GD01 is a beautiful case. :)

Maybe the CW01 is a possible alternative: I prefer that the DVD/ROM is totally hidden with only the slot accessible, like normal stereo components. :wink:

About the heatsink and fan, you can read this post. :D