Scythe Ninja Plus rev.B users questions

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Scythe Ninja Plus rev.B users questions

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 pm

for the Scythe Ninja Plus rev.B (latest version) users, i have some questions.

1-Did you had problems with installation? was it easy to install?
2-Are you able to install a better fanless North Bridge heatsink?
3-Which North Bridge heatsink are you using?
4-If you changed North Bridge Heatsink, did you used Arctic Silver 5 on both CPU heatsink and North Bridge heatsink?
5-Does the Scythe Ninja provide some more airflow to the North Bridge heatsink?
6-Did you had to move your RAM to another slot? if so, what made you move your RAM? the heat-pipes or the 120mm fan?
7- Which fan do you use with it?

i ask a lot of questions about North Bridge heatsink, because if i had to take out the board from my computer to install this CPU cooler, i might change my North Bridge heatsink at the same time (if money allow it :? ).
And with my main board, i wonder if my RAM stick will get in the way of the heat-pipes or maybe the 120mm fan would touch the RAM stick...

and as for the 120mm fan, i might use my leftover Antec tri-cool that i took out of my case when i installed 2x Noctua 120mm inside (my tri-cool doesn't have 3-pins connector though), will it be enough at LOW speed?

my board is Socket 939.

can i do all the installation without taking my board out? Asus told me my retention bracket is screwed there, not glued.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 pm

I have a HR-05 heatsink on my northbridge. Works well and looks like a smaller version of the Ninja.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 am

vincentfox wrote:I have a HR-05 heatsink on my northbridge. Works well and looks like a smaller version of the Ninja.
do you have a picture of your board?

think a HR-05 would fit with a Scythe Ninja on my board? mine use push-pins and i really think it would fit, if it's mounted horizontally, since the Scythe Ninja takes a lot of room, if it's mounted vertically, it would touch it.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 am

If you are not overclocked,having the draw of a nearby 120 mm fan,plus the PSU is enough,you can leave the fan off the Ninja...probably lose the intake fan too. You also could put the Noctua from up front,midcase,on a bracket to blow across the northbridge,toward the Ninja and the rear,it could be undervolted to 700-800 rpm,be more use than up front and half the noise,

firebane

Post by firebane » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 am

No you do not need to remove your board to put this cooler on. The bracket screws onto the bottom of the heatsink then clips into whatever stock bracket you use.

It works awesome for my 3.0ghz northwood now overclocked to 3.5ghz.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:15 am

firebane wrote:No you do not need to remove your board to put this cooler on. The bracket screws onto the bottom of the heatsink then clips into whatever stock bracket you use.

It works awesome for my 3.0ghz northwood now overclocked to 3.5ghz.
but i think i'll have to remove my board anyway, there are 3 screws missing on the right side of my board, i wonder why the one that built it didn't put screws there...i can see the holes there, but no screw.

so technically, i would have to take my stock bracket off to put the heatsink bracket under it? and then put the hooks of that heatsink bracket on my stock bracket?

i think, in the latest revision of the Ninja, they simplified the installation so we can use the stock plastic retention bracket.

but tell me, since the CPU is located on the 6-screws side, and on the "right side" where there are 3 screws missing, this part covers RAM, South Bridge, IDE connectors and ATX 24-pins connector, it won't be dangerous for the board to hold that Scythe Ninja heatsink with 6 screws?

screws present on my board are the left and middle columns. right column is empty/screwless.

if i want to put 3 more screws, what do i need exactly? 2 "brass screws" and 1 "philips-head" screw provided with the board/case?

those kinds of screws?
link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7147825@N05/408583553/

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 pm

i decided to install my HR-05 anyway, Directcanada.com didn't had it in stock so they sent me the HR-05 and the Zalman ZM-STG1 to me, and they told me they will send me the Ninja when they will have it in stock (next week they told me).

i also ordered another Noctua NF-S12-1200 to put on the Ninja.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:28 am

Hr-05 is solid choice. I might change my current Epoxes own passive solution to Zalman NBF47 myself. I've measure I have enough clearance with my Ninja Rev B for it, due NBF47's shape, it should not be hard to install. Those small screws are just annoying...

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:38 am

939 boards with the NF4 chipset really had heat issues,that board wound be a Via,so,if an aftermarket cooler fits great,but the stock one usually is enough

Overclocking will crank up the heat on everything,so,whether you run stock or heavy OC would make a lot of difference in whether you need a fan on the Ninja,how high your case fans run etc.

All the Mobo mount scews are the same,and pretty sure to be standard--so unscrew one of the others and match it at the hardware store. It will be metric threads.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:25 am

I know nForce 4 has heat issues, Ultra and Sli versions even more than regular. My passive Zalman is more than enough cool my nForce 4 mainboard in my gaming rig... Actually it cools better passively than mb's own sink with 40mm screamer. Good airflow and bit air flow from HSF will help cooling passive NB's without a heatpipes.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:41 am

ronrem wrote:All the Mobo mount scews are the same,and pretty sure to be standard--so unscrew one of the others and match it at the hardware store. It will be metric threads.
i had some left in my screws bag that came with the computer, when i got it at the store....at least they gave me everything that actually CAME with the stuff i decided to put in!

i ordered a Noctua NF-S12-1200 especially for the Ninja heatsink, it will blow air on the HR-05 at the same time, lowering the temp of my chipset even more than right now, i might lower the speed of it too (since i'll remove the "CPU fan" from the CL-P0200, the Noctua 120mm will take relay on "CPU Fan" and i can lower the speed with Asus QFan feature on my board)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:13 am

An HR-05 is an excellent choice for the NB. It's a close/tight fit on this ASRock board. With the proper ducting, a rear case fan blowing inward, can provide ambient air cooling for both heatsinks.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 pm

does it hold itself well on the retention bracket? cos it look so big...should i attach a small rope to the end of the heatsink, to release some tension from the board?

i ordered a Noctua NF-S12-1200 to put on the Ninja, for better airflow and it'll blow some air on the HR-05 too, cooling my North Bridge a bit more at the same time

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Actually.....that's an A-Open board, with an Intel hook-type retention on the NB. It doesn't hold quite as tight as I would like (the heatsink can be moved while attached). But I've had no problems.....and no, it doesn't sag down or anything.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 pm

ok

i mounted my HR-05 on the opposite side you mounted yours (the "small round hollow" side facing my airflow, instead of the "round bump" side)

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 am

Any mounting issues on a P5W DH Deluxe mobo?

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:33 pm

Jason W wrote:Any mounting issues on a P5W DH Deluxe mobo?
http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... injaB.html

it fits OK, but there's a remark:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... ontip.html

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:42 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:
Jason W wrote:Any mounting issues on a P5W DH Deluxe mobo?
http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... injaB.html

it fits OK, but there's a remark:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/0 ... ontip.html
Thanks for the link, but it's for the P5B-E mobo, not the P5W DH mobo. Unless of course they are both laid out exactly the same... are they?

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:47 pm

check the link again....it's ok for P5B-E too