screaming clovertown - any lateral suggestions?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clipclop

screaming clovertown - any lateral suggestions?

Post by clipclop » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:17 am

hi all,

i've just got myself 2 machines which have dual 4core clovertown procs for 3d rendering. they are screamers - and tear though frames as faster than anything else i've seen before.

however, they are also screamers in the sonic sense too. they are the most noisy pc's i've *ever* heard. the place i bought them from can't help - they say there's nothing on the market. that was over a month ago - and nothing has changed.

i have a small animation company, and we work from one mid sized room. they are driving us crazy. does anyone have any suggestions other than putting them into a ventilated cupboard?

thanks in advance,

paul

EDIT: i should add that it's currently running the stock intel heatsink and fans. the only other fan i found that works with socket 771 is a dynatron H6EG. however, the other other message on this board is by someone who wanted to go quieter than this. ugh. should i consider water cooling?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:23 pm

oh wow, i've worked with one of those computers before, and it was amazing, and loud, i have to say...all i have to say is that water cooling wouldn't be the greatest idea, especially if its just a small company, water cooling is a hefty thing.

the Dynatron H6EG would be *quieter* than what you have now, but still pretty loud.

http://www.ameri-rack.com/DC2U-H6D.htm
thats slightly quieter than whats on newegg, but coolers are tricky to find for systems like that with quiet in the mix...computers like that are normally kept in incredibly well cooled rooms that are normally away from the rest of the world.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:27 pm

bonestonne wrote:all i have to say is that water cooling wouldn't be the greatest idea, especially if its just a small company, water cooling is a hefty thing.
I have no experience with business machines, or with watercooling, so I'm just making an observation.

Why wouldn't watercooling be a good option here? You could find an "all in one" solution, like Corsair's Nautilus 500. There's only two parts, the CPU block and the unit itself, which contains the rest of the system. The downside is that the CPU block would have to be S771 compatible. :? What about the Nautilus 500 with a different CPU block? This one claims to be 771 compatible, but I don't know what "in option" means.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Maybe one of these, though I don't know if socket 771 for Clovertown is different from the other socket 771s, since they specify the chip names for the heatsink compatibility http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_xeon_index.html

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:04 pm

i just think that in a system like that, you should try to find larger heatsinks that are compatible, and give them better airflow.

my one thing against watercooling in all conditions is that one small problem could be the end of your system completely. not to mention its possible that a watercooling system can void a warrantee, and sometimes a warrantee is really helpful.

"Look in your BIOS under it's "temperature control section"

Using my Supermicro board, I choose "4pin Workstation" mode. My machine, upon reboot, got real quiet."

i've found that in a quick search. that may help you out. having everything running full speed doesn't always help, maybe changing its power management will help you.

http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3010

that link may also help.

"Socket 604 and socket 771 have the same exact formfactor as far as heatsink mounts, they are compatible.

Intel didn't even change the stock design going from the high end 604s to the 771s."

running a dual xeon system myself, i know how hard it is to cool them while keeping quiet. sometimes its just better to get it to a tolerable level and realize you do need that cooling more than the room needs to get quiet.

clipclop

Post by clipclop » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:38 am

thanks to you all for your comments. my hardware vendor is now exploring these options.

hey, bonestonne - can you quantify the Dynatron 'pretty loud'? sounds like a pentium 3, 4, opteron. i know it's subjective....

will report back once i've tried things out. i wish they could go into the cupboard. however, i really need to render volumes with 8 cores. so i'm :-) and :-( at the same time!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 pm

hmm...pretty loud.

an original P4 stock cooler, the socket 423. those 60mm screamers. thats about how loud. the Dynatron is about as loud as any 60x60x10mm CPU fan on a heatsink...like the P3's and the P4's had back in like 2002. loud as anything..in fact, usually the loudest thing in the system. the P3's, the socket CPUs not the Slot types.. all 60mm fans are pretty loud though..i have 50mm fans that are much quieter.

but like the what i previously posted about the 603/604 coolers, they may help you much more than trying to find a 771 cooler.

btw, my Dual Xeon system is on the road to a long needed upgrade. i'm going from Dual PII Xeons to Dual PIII Xeons. jumping from 450Mhz to 700Mhz, the L2 cache is going from 512k per CPU to a good 2M per CPU. my favorite system...it took long enough to build, upgrading to over a gig of RAM was too hard, and getting the PIII CPUs was a trip and a half.

as for your rendering, that must be amazing...the best thing i've worked with is an Apple G5 workstation with 4 gigs of RAM, dual 2.66Ghz dual core Xeons and an Nvidia 7900GT, 20" moniter...and i thought that was good. those dual quad cores must be hard to walk away from at the end of the day.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:02 pm

If they are like the dynatron fans I got with my custom-built rig -- I feel your pain. 7,500rpm cpu fans at around 45db of high pitched whine. then multiply by 2. ouch :( And they didnt cool all that well either.

I swapped mine for a pair of coolermaster HSFs .. "hyper-48" i think its called. not up to what folks around here demand, but the noise level dropped immensely.

Im also waiting for my dual xeon box to need an upgrade, but the thing just wont quit. supermicro makes good boards :)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:08 pm

i think for dualie systems [a term i've seen at 2cpu.com] Supermicro makes the best there is. my dual xeon system is a Supermicro S2DGU..given to me..i love it, even being 9 years old, its the best board i have. has the most ram, best CPUs i could ask for with the system.

i just found these heatsinks, they look very promising, and worth a look:
http://store.orbitmicro.com/ccp20561-co ... 241617.htm

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm

I'm not sure why your system would be that loud.

Clovertowns come in two flavors, 85W and 120W, based on the voltage. Neither is particularly hot compared to a Netburst Xeon.

The socket does present a challenge for using an aftermarket heat sink. If you could find a way to mount it, a Ninja, or Ultra 120, or HR-01 would have adequate cooling.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 pm

cmthomson wrote:I'm not sure why your system would be that loud.

Clovertowns come in two flavors, 85W and 120W, based on the voltage. Neither is particularly hot compared to a Netburst Xeon.

The socket does present a challenge for using an aftermarket heat sink. If you could find a way to mount it, a Ninja, or Ultra 120, or HR-01 would have adequate cooling.
I doubt these systems could fit any of the SPCR favorites...

Is it a rackmount system?

clipclop

Post by clipclop » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:04 am

tehfire wrote:
cmthomson wrote:I'm not sure why your system would be that loud.

I doubt these systems could fit any of the SPCR favorites...

Is it a rackmount system?
yup, i agree with you here. i am pretty astounded that i'm back to early 90's sound levels with my state-of-the-art workstation. the sound is so loud - it's almost headache inducing!

no, they are desktop machines used for interactive use. ie, shader writing, lighting and rendering. they live inside very ugly looking coolmaster cases - which dont' help with the noise issue - cos they've got big grilles on the side which lets all the sounds escape!

am i the only person in the world who has this problem??? ;-)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:29 am

i should add that it's currently running the stock intel heatsink and fans.
Is there a technical reason why you can't change the fans to something quieter? (ie Panaflo/NMB-MAT/Yate Loon etc) what size are they?

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:41 am

I found this http://www.svc.com/mcx604-v-12.html but I'm not sure you wanna drop $55 a cooler. I'm sure these are quieter than your stock fans, though[/url]

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:49 am

tehfire wrote:I found this http://www.svc.com/mcx604-v-12.html but I'm not sure you wanna drop $55 a cooler. I'm sure these are quieter than your stock fans, though[/url]
The last HSF I showed you was discontinued, here's an updated one http://www.coolerguys.com/840556037125.html

They're expensive and don't come with a fan, but I'd slap on a quiet Scythe fan and there you go...about $125 after everything

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 am

Does make some nice heatpipe based solutions for Xeon, might be worth checking out.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... /index.cfm

I would say that this with some nice panaflo fan would give you good coling AND some well deserved peace ;-)
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... _si9xv.htm

EDIT: Btw if your computer does not have thermal control why not just add simple fan controll unit ? thay are cheap and work, and if you combine one of those with thermalright above you shuld be able to reduce noise quite a bit.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Redzo wrote:Does make some nice heatpipe based solutions for Xeon, might be worth checking out.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... /index.cfm

I would say that this with some nice panaflo fan would give you good coling AND some well deserved peace ;-)
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... _si9xv.htm

EDIT: Btw if your computer does not have thermal control why not just add simple fan controll unit ? thay are cheap and work, and if you combine one of those with thermalright above you shuld be able to reduce noise quite a bit.
Not sure if this is compatible w/ Socket 771...

kogi

Post by kogi » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:29 am

Have you tried a ghetto fan swap with a panaflo 80mm maybe?

This is my mod for the old prestonia windtunnels.
1 x 60-80mm fan adapter and 1x gutted 60mm fan.

ImageImage

k