Thermal paste for a notebook

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

J. Sparrow

Thermal paste for a notebook

Post by J. Sparrow » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm currently servicing my sister's laptop. The thing has a copper cooler with a heatpipe and spring-loaded screws for the mounting.

It also has a weird kind of pad as a thermal interface for the CPU. Any experience with these? Is it safe to remove it and replace it with a more mundane thermal paste?

Here's a couple shots of the thing:

DanaG

Post by DanaG » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:06 pm

Well, how thick is the thermal pad? If it's not negligible, I'd suggest finding a good thermal pad to replace it; otherwise, you'll have to do what I did with my notebook: many alternating layers of thermal paste and thick aluminum foil.
In my case, Gateway had left a visible gap between the northbridge and the heatpipe contact point.

Edit: An example of thermal pads:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/c127 ... Page1.html
Edit again: It looks like some of those may be adhesive, and not just conductive.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:35 am

I've been forced to find a quick solution, as the laptop was shutting itself down when running memtest for more than 10 minutes.

I applied a thin layer of Arctic Cooling MX-1 (just because it's advertised to last several years); and when I say thin I mean REALLY THIN, as the paste has become hard to apply (it came from the box of a cooler which I installed some weeks ago :shock: )

The spring-loaded screws seem to do a fine job in keeping the copper base tightly attached to the IHS, luckily no aluminum was necessary :)

Now the machine works fine. It's really hot, though... but that's Intel's own fault :D Thank you for your answer :)