Thermalright Hr-01

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Thermalright Hr-01

Post by thejamppa » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 am

Has anyone experiences from this thing? I mean now I found local shop which sells Thermalright HR-01 in special sale 29,90€'s. Also AM2 compatibility with separate mounting system. 29,90€'s from CPU cooler that is is pretty even with Old Ninja in lower fanspeeds... Tempting... Very tempting...

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 am

I'd buy it, especially considering the pricing of TR coolers in Finland.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:21 am

Yeah, I placed it order with AM2 retention bracket for future use. Since I don't like Intel I won't need LGA-775 stuff. 29,90€ is very good value from Thermalrights CPU cooler I think. Although I need to add 20€'s when I order S-type retention clip from quietPC.com (plus some other stuff inlcuding p+p ). As its old model with straith rentition clip, which does not allow 90 degree adjustment..

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 pm

I've heard it's great with slower (quieter) fans, but it might need some support (as in, it's a bit heavy and it tilts down so you might need to tie it up to ease the stress on the mobo/CPU)

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:20 pm

Fungi wrote:I've heard it's great with slower (quieter) fans, but it might need some support (as in, it's a bit heavy and it tilts down so you might need to tie it up to ease the stress on the mobo/CPU)
This is something obvious. Of course it's going to be great with a slow fan, but I don't see any extra support necessary, just because it was "hanging" a bit in the SPCR review. IIRC the SPCR test platform used a motherboard without a backplate. AMD motherboards come with backplates and therefore are much more rigid.

HR-01 was actually my nr.1 choice when I started to look for a passive cooler. But as I couldn't find it for less then 69.90e (Normal TR ripoff in Finland), I settled for a much cheaper Ninja.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 pm

I have Ninja, too bad its heatpipes collied with my gamig rigs mobo components. So I need a-symmeritical cooler. HR-01 with S-clip will do that. Maybe I get that fan duct also and mount whole thing on my P182b case, so one exhaust fan is duct on HR-01 and another is cooling case and VRMS.

But danr, that HR-01 looks sexy. Its even more sexy than my Ninja ^^

mike961734

Post by mike961734 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:44 pm

I must agree with theJamppa on the hr-01's sexyness, got to love that highrise building look all shiny and whatnot.

recently purchased one to cool my p4.prescott @3.0ghz works fine, no more whining stock fan with better temps. my only complaint it one that comes to all tower style hs's, lack of northbridge cooling. while my d865perl has a rather massive passive hs, it no longer recieves good airflow and climbs to temps around 58C* :shock: about what my ductless hr-01 remains stable at.

to summerize hr-01= awesome passive beauty.
But if you have a particularly hot northbridge, ducting, a larger northbridge heatsink , or some creative fan placement may be required.

*temps from 15minute orthos torture test monitored with speedfan