is it worth changing from Infinity to Ninja?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lukx

is it worth changing from Infinity to Ninja?

Post by lukx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 am

Hello silentMasters:)
I have a question. I read today Anandtech ninja review.
Right now I have E6700 but I'm planning to get Q6600. I'm using Scythe Infinity. Now my question is...should I keep it or get soemthing else. I also heard good things about thermalright 120 ultra but I don't like it's screw mounting system (i don't want to change plate at the back side of the mobo plys use screwdriver :). So I guess only Ninja have same plastic thingy. Is it worth getting NInja? I'm looking for quite good cooling solution with one fan only (i don't want to put another one fan on infinity) SO what would be better with one fan? Infinity or Ninja? Plus maybe Instead of stock scythe fan I should put Nexus 120 on it? What do you think. This is my whole rig (Silverstone TJ09 case)

lukx

Post by lukx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 am

This is my whole rig (Silverstone TJ09 case) : Image

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:38 am

the lighting throws me off a little with that picture, but i wonder, can you rotate the heatsink 90 degrees? its worth a shot and it would give you better airflow, instead of rising heat all the time, the heat would go to the back and out. maybe try ducting the rear fan to the heatsink?

other than cable spaghetti it looks nice. if i run into a picture of the type of udct i have in mind i'll post it...not a full duct, just a piece of metal or cardboard that would direct air towards the back of the case instead of steadily upwards.

btw, thats one massive graphics card. i'd hate to see the amount of heat it gives off.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:03 am

The Ninja's advantage is when fully passive on a pretty cool running rig. As soon as you get to a 6600,a hot vid card,and attach a fan to the HS-then the infinity is at least equal and possibly better.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:08 am

..and if you can rotate the Infinity 90 degrees,more of the Vid card heat will bypass it-go out that rear exhaust. As is the Vid card is pre-heating air pushed through the HS.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:42 pm

The Ninja is not worth the switch IMO. Maybe 2 degrees at load if pressure is ok. As you have a 775 system, the other two readers are right in pointing out you should rotate your Infinity, though.

Performance-wise, a Nexus is not much better than the S-Flex, especially if the latter is undervolted (an inaudible S-Flex is the same as an inaudible Nexus)

lukx

Post by lukx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:27 pm

thank you for help. I spent whole evening changing position of heatsink. Also I took off metal crates that were on rear silverstone fan. Anyway I will live scythe stock fan on infinity but will change those two silverstones fans (top one and rear one) to NEXUS.

lukx

Post by lukx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:41 am

AH I noticed something...
This isn't pic of my p5w dh but p5b is simmilar to show what happend. I was changing the possition of my infinity and noticed that those things corners were scratched (a bit cuted) . Is it BAD?

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:32 pm

If it's not too badly scratched you should be fine.

I would keep your Infinity.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:49 pm

most likely the scratches are harlmess, however just check your mounting before you finalize it, because if it gets worse it could be a problem.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:25 pm

The top of those RIO parts (which are inductors by the way) are plastic about 1mm thick. Scratches are completely harmless.

However, they do indicate that the bottom of the heat sink (or its mounting hardware) were pressing against the motherboard components. This compromises the pressure of the heat sink base against the top of the CPU case, resulting in reduced heat transfer.

Whenever mounting a high-performance tower HSF on a high-performance CPU, you want to ensure that there is no mechanical interference that would reduce the HSF/CPU pressure. Even slight interference can raise CPU temperatures as much as 10*C.