Just undervolted, shaved a coupla degC

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davidhooper

Just undervolted, shaved a coupla degC

Post by davidhooper » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:42 am

Hi guys,
I've been a member of SPCR for a while now but haven't posted much. Just to let you know that I've undervolted my (multiplier locked) XP 1600+ from 1.75V to 1.60V on my Soltek DRV4 without any trouble at all and shaved a couple of degrees. Still at default clock speed. Hehe, I was a bit nervous at first but it booted fine!

Idle temps are now about 39C, 55C under intensive stress. All without any exhaust fans. Me very proud. :P Does anyone know if it will go much lower?

Hmm. Now I need to look into undervolting my graphics card. Can't seem to find much material on the www though :cry: .

Mark Larson

Post by Mark Larson » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:31 am

I'm willing to bet a little airfow would go a long way - you might do well to get an extremely low-power exhaust fan.

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:53 pm

Oh right, I'll try that then. I'll have to look for some decent suppliers in the UK. Thanks.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:01 pm

I've got a better idea- duct your CPU to make it an exhaust fan. Not only does it add an exhaust fan, it will actually reduce the noise like a muffler a bit, I think, but most importantly, it deposits all of that CPU heat outside of the case, drastically lowering temperatures- my northbridge is 6C hotter without the duct, but thats my only way of measuring case temps.

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:30 am

Hmm. What did you make your duct from?