Shin-etsu based thermal compound. (cooler master version)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jinu117

Shin-etsu based thermal compound. (cooler master version)

Post by jinu117 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:29 pm

I've recently tried this stuff.
Extremely hard to apply evenly vs AS 3 which is just flat out easy.
However, after burning one R9500 Pro, I figured I want to move away if possible from AS3. Since there are some good reviews for Shin-etsu, I gave it a shot.
I don't think I got most optimal layer of it (in fact, it was a little thicker layer than I liked... best I could do to cover all the area).
After applying, my max temp went down by 3c and idle by 1c. (46->43c and 35->34c) This is with water cooling so I actually didn't expect much of change if at all. (what a nice surprise).
Once I get around rewiring the waterflow with waterchiller, my GPU will move from AS3 to this nearly impossible to apply thermal paste :)

grambr

Post by grambr » Sun May 18, 2003 7:29 pm

[quote="Radeonman"]
Does it need 3 days to reach optimal temperatures? Yes.

I´m using this stuff, I agree it seems good, but I get variable results every time I mount my cooler (+/- 4oC on load) .... maybe due to application problems.

Radeonman ... can you explain why it would take 3 days to reach optimal temperature ??? Don't understand what happens overtime.

grambr

Post by grambr » Mon May 19, 2003 5:06 am

Thanks for that, maybe explains why my temps are variable. I'll be monitoring temps for a few days next time I re-mount the cooler.

FishaOfMen

Post by FishaOfMen » Mon May 19, 2003 7:33 pm

I have a tube of Shin Etsu G751 as well. Because it is so hard to apply evenly, I've only rubbed a little into my heatsink and then put a thin layer of Arctic Silver 3 on the CPU. After reading this post at XtremeSystems.org, however, I think I'll give the Shin Etsu another try the next time I need to use thermal grease.
Shinetsu is EASY to apply once you know the "secrets" of the paste. What you do, is get some water close to boiling, and dip the syringe in it for about 10 seconds, or hold your hand on the syringe for like 10 minutes(I prefer the water) and then get out what you need, then take a ROUNDED toothpick and roll the shinetsu out extremely thin just like you would dough, its a bit more of a hassle than AS3 etc but it is well worth it

Ex22

Post by Ex22 » Tue May 20, 2003 12:46 pm

Is it the same stuff as the Cool Master paste?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue May 20, 2003 12:52 pm

Ex22 wrote:Is it the same stuff as the Cool Master paste?
I've read two different stories.

A) The Coolermaster brand is 'made by Shin Etsu'

B) Shin Etsu G-751 is the best.

Now is the CoolerMaster Shin Etsu the same as the ShinEtsu G-751? I don't know but the CoolerMaster label doesn't explicitly mention the G-751 formula so I'd be inclined to say that they are different pastes. I remember reading one comparison that had both the G-751 and the CoolerMaster stuff and the CoolerMaster stuff was just marginally better than the generic white crap. YMMV.

I'm going to order a tube of the G-751 from the Taisol store since I'm running low on AS3 and try it on my own rig in a couple months.

grambr

Post by grambr » Tue May 20, 2003 1:29 pm

The label on my tube of Cooler Master Premium says "Thermal Compound by Shin Etsu". And it is Made in Taiwan.

I don't know if it is the "right" formula, or if it is 'made by' or 'contains' or whatever, but it seems to work, and like it says in this thread it needs a few days to reach optimum performance.

I read a good review on thermal compound performance on the net a few days ago but I deleted my history and lost the link. Anyway, the 'real' Shin Etsu came out a little better than Cooler Master Premium, but both were a lot better than other marks, including Artic Silver.

The revierw reported 7oC impovement over the usual white paste which comes with everything. This after 3 days + on load.

Seems a lot, but I know that I get good results & the test looked O.K.

Cooler = Quieter Fan, so always worth a try.

grambr

Post by grambr » Tue May 20, 2003 2:17 pm

I found the link I mentioned in my last post, which seems to represent a pretty thourough test of thermal compounds:

http://www.insideproject.com/showreview.cfm?reviewid=81

Worth checking out, other reviews that I have found are a bit dubious + normally in favour of Artic Silver, which is beaten by Cooler Master and Shin Etsu in this review

Just to clarify ... Cooler Master Premium is "Made in Taiwan", but Shin Etsu is a Japanese company, I think ???

Shin Etsu is avaialble from Overclockers.co.uk for a reasonable price .... here in Brazil all of this stuff is difficult to get / very expensive so I won't be doing any testing myself.

Anyone out there got any personal experience to share ?

Until I looked at this subject a bit I did not realize what a big difference there was between brands

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 21, 2003 6:22 am

There's different types of Shin-Etsu compound. The predecessor to the G-751 was called G-749 (IIRC) and I seem to recall that's what Coolermaster was using for their compound. The G-749 doesn't work as well as the G-751.