Graphite for heatsinks?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hstink

Graphite for heatsinks?

Post by hstink » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:52 pm

I've just been reading tonight about Graphite's odd thermal conductivity characteristics - in some cases it's better than pure Copper or Silver. It was difficult to find anything specific, but this indicated that when testing an Aluminum heatsink versus a Graphite foam one (otherwise identical shaping, but with the Graphite weighing a fifth as much), the Aluminum cooled a 10W pentium-shaped heating source to 37 C whereas the Graphite cooled to 33 C. Very impressive!

The foam seems to be available from Poco Thermal and costs around $10 per cubic inch apparently, but economies of scale could decrease the price dramatically. It seems hard to believe that a heatsink weighing a fifth as much as an Aluminum one could cool as well as or better than a Copper one of the same shape.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:01 am

According to PocoFoam the thermal conductivity is less than aluminium. However this graphite foam could be a brilliant solution for hard disk cooling.

http://www.pocothermal.com/html/whatis.html

I need to find a UK outlet.

hstink

Post by hstink » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:23 am

I just had a brief chat by email with the chap that invented (!) this foam material, and he says that the ORNL is licensing patents to other manufacturers to spur competition.

He's been working with it to make CPU heatsinks (though he says effective designs differ quite a bit from traditional metal ones) and is very excited about its future.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:03 pm

I should contact this guy!!

George

Post by George » Sat May 31, 2003 7:36 pm

Man i just found out about this stuff today, Heat conducting and sound absorbing in the same package... sign me up! Does any one here know were I can by Pocofoam or any other similar material? Poco Incs.web site seems to have some broken links.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sat May 31, 2003 7:53 pm

actually i was reading an article talking about diamonds exertring superconductor charectorsistics at room temperature. Not to mention diamonds can havea 10x thermal conductivity of silver. So i;m not surpries that graphite is also thermally conductive since their all made from Carbon.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sat May 31, 2003 9:18 pm