Tricky Fit

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rodarmor

Tricky Fit

Post by rodarmor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:17 am

I'm in need of a good socket 775 compatible heatsink with some pretty stringent requirements. It's got to be shorter than 100mm, just because of the case; I'm going to be moving it around a lot, so it should be under 500g; and finally, due to the location of the cpu and the placement of the other fans, I think that a side mounted fan would provide the best air flow.

Any ideas?

cansan

Post by cansan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:50 am

Can you explain what you mean by side mounted fan? Do you mean a tower heatsink (Ninja) or a conventional heatsink (XP120)?

rodarmor

Post by rodarmor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:54 am

Ah, I guess I mean a tower heatsink. Anything where the fan is blowing horizontally, as opposed to vertically.

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:43 am

If you install a backplate - the mass doesn't really matter that much.

I guess you'll want the Scythe Ninja Mini to be a tad shorter that 100 mm?
:P

For the rest, I think you'll need to built a costum heatsink yourself :D

rodarmor

Post by rodarmor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:00 am

I spent some more time looking around today, and I may be out of luck as far as getting something with a side blowing fan that's ALSO < 100mm.

I I guess now I'm just looking for a quiet heatsink that's sub < 100mm, any configuration. I've got about exactly 100mm though, so if the heatsink + fan was to close to that, there would be reduced airflow, as well as increased turbulence/noise.

PS What's a backplate?

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:29 pm

LOL I read your reaction - let's not bless god for this coincidence, it's not.

But back to what a backplate is. :twisted:

It is basically a strengthening plate to reinforce the mainboard around the CPU.

With the mass of some high-end coolers being over 600 grams, the mainboard's PCB get's stressed
by the mass of the heatsinks sitting on the CPU.
So, if you don't want to get your mainboard split by the forces of gravity,
you could install a backplate.
Most of the time it's completely unnessecary since mainboards are strong enough to
handle ~800 grams without a backplate, even when moving.

But it's the "just-in-case-factor" which makes people having a backplate (since you didn't want it to be 500g+ :roll: ).

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:59 am

Hi, how about Zalman 7500 AlCu? It weighs 500g and is only 67mm tall so there is space above for the fan to draw air in through. The min fan speed is given as 1150rpm and is probably reasonably quiet at that while I would guess giving reasonable cooling.
Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 is also within your size/weight and not bad on cooler CPUs.
What CPU are you cooling?
Regards, Seb