Looking for short side-flow cpu heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RichardR

Looking for short side-flow cpu heatsink

Post by RichardR » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:38 am

I am looking for a socket LGA 775 side-flow heat-pipe cpu heatsink less than 100mm high. I am using a Enermax Venus mATX case which exactly fits the space available. I like using internal air ducts connecting to a case fan to exhaust cpu heat out of the case. Currently in the Venus case I must use a duct that sucks air up through the OEM vertical flow heatsink and out the back of the case through twin 80mm Nexus SP802512L-03 case exhaust fans. Works fine at low heat loads, but at max cpu utilization cpu case temps creep up over 60C.

So, any suggestions?

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:05 am

sounds like you're describing the ninja mini. Not available yet though. It's on scythe's japanese website now, but not on the european or american one.

Oh hang on, just translated the japanese page, and it is 115mm high, so I guess it won't do. Sorry.

chinna_n

Post by chinna_n » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:28 pm

How about installing Zalman CNPS8000 with a side duct. You should be able to takeout the original fan, and close the top with a curved cardboard along with the fins curve. That makes sure you suck all the air thru fins.

Ofcourse you did not mention which processor you are trying to cool. It may not be sufficient for old Pentium D 800 series CPUs.

Also you could do the same with Apack Zerotherm CF800 by removing fan and side fan supports.

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:35 pm

So I started searching for 2U heatsinks for socket 775 and found loads (all in the server space). Check this link or this one for instance.

Both have heatpipes, are about 75mm high and are designed for 2U servers. They come with a fan, and probably aren't very quiet, but you can probably mod it and use it in your chassis.

If you do get something like this, please let me know what kind of temperatures you are getting with it, and how noisy it is with its own fan.

thanks.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Silverstone NT05 and NT03 are both < 100 mm. NT01 might be the real winner if you can accommodate its 108 mm height and the right ducting scenario.