Low profile HSF for AM2

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NuggyBuggy

Low profile HSF for AM2

Post by NuggyBuggy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 am

I'm trying to rescue an HTPC build I have based on an AM2 MB (ASUS M2NPV-VM), and a low profile Ahanix case. This combo offers about 6-6.5 cm clearance from the top of the CPU to the case. There are vents in the case top more or less directly above the HSF.

The stock HSF seems to be very noisy from a second or so after booting, even with the top of the case off. When I put the case top on, it is even louder, I am guessing because the vent holes are so close to the top of the retail HSF. The setup is so loud it drives me crazy, consequently it is being unused and lies in parts on the floor.

Can anyone suggest a good, quiet and very low profile HSF that might fit this setup ? I had seen mention of the Hiper HFC-20820-C1, but am having trouble sourcing one (in North America). Newegg is sold out, a Google search turned up noone with it in stock, and the big Canadian dealers (I am in Canada) do not seem to carry the part. I'd prefer to order Canadian (or in a pinch from the US) to avoid exorbitant shipping and brokerage charges.

thanks in advance !

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:24 am

You might want to try a Zalman CNPS8000.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118005
It's reasonably quiet if your case temps allow you to dial the fanspeed down with the included fanmate. It's a less than perfect solution, but it worked better for me than the review here would indicate.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:40 am

What kind of cpu do you have? A top-down facing zalman heatsink could also be a solution. Thermaltake also has some compact old school heatpipe coolers. Though I`m not a big fan of their products they should be effective.
On ebay you might have more chances finding what you`re looking for.

NuggyBuggy

Post by NuggyBuggy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:03 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:You might want to try a Zalman CNPS8000.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118005
It's reasonably quiet if your case temps allow you to dial the fanspeed down with the included fanmate. It's a less than perfect solution, but it worked better for me than the review here would indicate.
That might JUST fit inside the case (give or take a few mm) - looks like it will be a few mm bigger than the stock HSF.

My worry is that it as it would sit so close to the vent holes, it would still be noisy. I know a lot of my present noise is coming from situating the HSF so close to the vent holes. That's why I was so excited to see the Hiper's dimensions - much shorter than the stock HSF - but alas I can't seem to find one easily.

NuggyBuggy

Post by NuggyBuggy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:13 pm

ntavlas wrote:What kind of cpu do you have? A top-down facing zalman heatsink could also be a solution. Thermaltake also has some compact old school heatpipe coolers. Though I`m not a big fan of their products they should be effective.
On ebay you might have more chances finding what you`re looking for.
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I have an AMD X2 4600. If you could recommend particular models that might work, I'd be very grateful. I looked at newegg's Thermaltake coolers, but didn't spot one that seemed small enough.