Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme push/pull noise level

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnniecache7

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme push/pull noise level

Post by johnniecache7 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Hello,

I have Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme I want to use it in push/pull format. Now I will be using two Scythe s-flex 120mm 1200rpm SFF21E. According to SPCR there about 23 dba piece. If I have two fans of the same dba and same make and model it would increase the dba by 3 dba correct. Total dba level would be 26 dba?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:41 pm

Yep. The reason to use two fans, of course, is to get more airflow and so better cooling. You'll get more airflow, but the question is, how much? You have the cost in $ of the second fan, and the weight of the second fan putting further stress on the mobo.

An interesting experiment (if you use a fan controller) is, instead, to increase the RPM of the single fan 11.5%. This will also increase the noise level 3dBA, but not deflate your wallet or add more stress to the mobo.

Which way gives better cooling? If the improvement in cooling is the same, which method do you choose? If you have a window on the side of your case, the two fans are awfully impressive. Like dual carburetors when I was a lot younger... :D

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:23 pm

No window on the side panel. I do not much care for the Bling factor. The case is Steel Chenming 601 AE modded for silence and overclocking. The cost of the fan is not issue because I am sleeping in the same room where my computer is. I also will not be moving it around ever becuase the case weights about 24 pounds empty and the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, HR-03 Plus and two hardrives,noise dampening material will make it to heavy move around. The case is tank. Total fans are 1 Nexus 120mm,2 Nexus 80mm,1 92mm Nexus and two S-flex 120mm 1200rpm on the Ultra 120 extreme. I perfer S-flex 120mm 1200rpm over the Nexus for heatsink fan due higher quality bearings .Thanks for the information I was sure it only add 3dba looks as if I was correct. Dual Fans it is.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:14 am

johnniecache7 wrote:Thanks for the information I was sure it only add 3dba looks as if I was correct. Dual Fans it is.
Why do you need two fans? The TRUE is very capable with just one, and unless you have a phenomenally hot CPU, two seems like overkill (and of questionable benefit anyway)...

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:30 am

No, it not hot cpu. The E6300 runs very cool but there is nothing wrong with little overkill. :wink:

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:39 am

johnniecache7 wrote:No, it not hot cpu. The E6300 runs very cool but there is nothing wrong with little overkill. :wink:
Uh.....how about quite a bit of overkill? With 4 case fans (+ PSU) you should not need 2 1200 RPM fans on a high efficiency HS unless the general layout is badly crowded.

Overkill happens. Generally on the hot rodding end when for the mere fact it can be done-folks squeeze out those last few mhz and pay in heat noise stability durability.

Silencing means you want few fans and low RPMs--so if you wanna go shopping-look for more temp/rpm feedback from a hardware monitoring device to crosscheck temps.

There isn't a NEED to have temps as low as possible. If you are running 2 extra fans just to have temps 15c lower than you need---that's noise that serves no purpose.

There are systems that use stuff like Crystal CPU and speedfan to have a rig that CAN do an OC setup-plus a mid level mild undervolt/underclock with the fans adapting to need. That makes some sense to me. At least then there's quiet sometimes,and with care,the Maxed out Gamer mode won't be excessively loud.

mellon

Post by mellon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:46 am

As ronrem said, you really have no need for push/pull with that CPU and the Ultra-120 X. I'd say that your CPU will stay nice and cool even on the lowest RPM's you can get out of an SFF21E. I'm cooling my Q6600@3GHz with just one SFF21E at 600RPM...

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:09 pm

ronrem wrote:
johnniecache7 wrote:No, it not hot cpu. The E6300 runs very cool but there is nothing wrong with little overkill. :wink:
Uh.....how about quite a bit of overkill? With 4 case fans (+ PSU) you should not need 2 1200 RPM fans on a high efficiency HS unless the general layout is badly crowded.

Overkill happens. Generally on the hot rodding end when for the mere fact it can be done-folks squeeze out those last few mhz and pay in heat noise stability durability.

Silencing means you want few fans and low RPMs--so if you wanna go shopping-look for more temp/rpm feedback from a hardware monitoring device to crosscheck temps.

There isn't a NEED to have temps as low as possible. If you are running 2 extra fans just to have temps 15c lower than you need---that's noise that serves no purpose.

There are systems that use stuff like Crystal CPU and speedfan to have a rig that CAN do an OC setup-plus a mid level mild undervolt/underclock with the fans adapting to need. That makes some sense to me. At least then there's quiet sometimes,and with care,the Maxed out Gamer mode won't be excessively loud.
The whole point of this system is to squeeze out the last bit mhz well maintaining silence. The system is infact hot rod. I am building the system to prove overclocked gaming system can be silence without sacrifing performance. Undervolt/underclock is not something I resort to; to me just plain crippling fan/cpu it is band aid. Better solution is buy silence parts period. My vision of silent PC maybe rather different then yours, suppose it matter of noise tolerance. I hardly see extra 3dba as notice able noise considering the decrease in temperatures and increase in performance. I am going be running daul nexus 120mm fans on the Ultra 120 extreme. The new black and white ones with open corners. Instead of the two 1200 RPM fans. This cut the noise down at least one dba since all my 120mm will be nexus.

Solid Snake

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 am

Mounting a fan with a donut-shaped air flow pattern onto a square heatsink is stupid. Doing it twice is really stupid. If you want to get maximum cooling from minimum air velocity, you need to use ducting. Either set up a positive pressure case with a ducted exhaust or put the fan at the exhaust and have it pull air through the duct which should cover every square inch of the heatsink.

Your average 120mm fan has an airflow footprint of 100cm^2. A square heatsink designed to accomodate a 120mm fan has an area of at least 144cm^2. That means by mounting the fan directly to the heatsink, you're not using 31% of the aluminum you paid for, not to mention the turbulence noise and other negatives that come with direct mounting.

I have your exact same heatsink, and I can back up my claims.