AN-M2HD: Scythe Ninja Mini or CoolerMaster Hyper TX (AMD)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kreed

AN-M2HD: Scythe Ninja Mini or CoolerMaster Hyper TX (AMD)

Post by Kreed » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29 pm

I am looking to put together a system based on the Abit AN-M2HD mATX motherboard and the AMD BE-2350 CPU. I intend on undervolting the CPU to 1.0V and having it passively cooled. I also intend on undervolting the Case Fan to 7-8 Volts. Here's the component list:

CPU: AMD BE-2350
Heatsink/Fan for CPU: Scythe Ninja Mini or CoolerMaster Hyper TX (AMD)
Motherboard: Abit AN-M2HD
Memory: 4GB A-DATA DDR2 800
HDD: Samsung 500GB 'HD501LJ' SATA 2 HDD 7200rpm
Case: Antec NSK3480
Fan for case (rear): 120mm NEXUS REAL SILENT CASE FAN D12SL-12
Fan for case (front): none
DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-212D

At this stage, I am having trouble deciding on which HSF to go with. In Australia, I can get the Scythe Ninja Mini for $59 AUD. The CoolerMaster Hyper TX (AMD) can be had for $33-$45 AUD. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ on the Scythe Ninja Mini?

A few people on this forum have successfully used their Ninja Mini in a passive setup. The only reported case of the CoolerMaster Hyper TX being used passively was by a poster called porkchop:

viewtopic.php?t=41147

After reading his post, I was quite impressed with the CoolerMaster Hyper TX (given it's price). I am pretty sure the Ninja Mini can be used passively, however, I am not sure if it would fit on this motherboard. Here's porkchop's picture of the Hyper TX on his Abit AN-M2 motherboard:

The Hyper TX has dimensions of 90 x 44 x 136.5 mm.
The Ninja Mini has dimensions of 110 x 110 x 115 mm.

So, what do you guys think? The Hyper TX will definitely fit but may not be as good passively as the Ninja Mini.
Last edited by Kreed on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

banaan

Post by banaan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:18 am

im a little in the same situtation, im looking for a CPU cooler for a BE-2400 with a Biostar TA690G AM2 mobo in a 4480B case. however i wont undervolt my CPU. I was looking at a Artic Freezer Pro 64, Coolermaster Hyper TX and a Scythe Ninja.

i did some reading and they told me that the HS of the Coolermaster kept the warmth longer the HS of the Freezer. So the fan on the Coolermaster had to run longer to deduct the heat then the Freezer, also the HS of the Freezer is larger then the Coolermaster. Best option, if monney isnt an issue, is still the Ninja Mini if it fits. It has the largest HS and the fins aint that close as with the Freezer. But maybe a little overkill dunno ... :)

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I vote for more heatpipes. It just seems to me that in all the heatsink reviews, it's very hard to overcome the advantage that comes with having more heatpipes.

BTW, I'm very happy with my Ninja Mini running passive in my NSK2400.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:20 am

Judging from these pictures of a Ninja on an NF-M2 nView (which has a similar layout to the AN-M2HD), things look a bit cramped :(

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270 ... MG3179.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270 ... MG3201.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270 ... MG3181.jpg

Update: If you look at the heatpipes on the Ninja Mini compared to the Ninja:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page2.html

the ones on the Mini don't seem to be as close to the edge of the fins as the ones on the Ninja. So, maybe there is a chance the Mini will fit without touching the RAM or the capacitors.

djkest

Post by djkest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:19 am

Does anyone have some pix of ninja mini heatpipes installed on an AM2 motherboard? It looks like the mini has more clearance, but it's hard to say.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:16 pm

I don't have a pic currently, sorry. But the Minja fits nicely on my AM2 mobo, MSI Platinum. There is actually more clearance of the RAM slots with the Minja. Originally I have a Rev. B Ninja in the specs.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:40 pm

djkest wrote:Does anyone have some pix of ninja mini heatpipes installed on an AM2 motherboard? It looks like the mini has more clearance, but it's hard to say.
I don't have any pics, but my Minja fits onto my AN-M2HD board nicely with 4 RAM sticks. My RAM sticks have no heat spreaders. There's sufficient clearance between the heat pipes and RAM sticks. Likewise with the capacitors. When I attached the 80 mm fan to the heatsink, the bottom of the fan just touches the RAM, but nothing to be concerned about.

topcaser

Post by topcaser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 am

Hi,

i have one question to the heatpipes: Arent these heatpipes are really hot? If i see the picture where the heatpipes touches nearly the RAM: Isnt it that the RAMs will get really hot?