Q66/6700 Cooling Fanless CPU Coooler Recommendations?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Q66/6700 Cooling Fanless CPU Coooler Recommendations?

Post by acaurora » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi guys... (damn its been a long time since I've last been here ;O )

I am considering buying a Q6600/Q6700 sometime during the beginning of next year (yeah, I know, i'm thinking WAYYYYY into the future).... and am considering replacing my XP120 cooler. Dont get me wrong, I definitely love my XP120 and it has served me well in the past couple years of my E6600 OC'd to a modest 3 Ghz, but I dont know if I should upgrade to a newer cooler or not. I went on ThermalRight's website today and saw all these strange designs that are essentially large tower heatpipe coolers. It kind of scares me that they look so huge in the pictures that I'm scared to put them on one of my motherboards as the sheer weight may cause damage????

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction in terms of suggesting what I should do in terms of a CPU cooler for my quad core (From a quick search I see that the Ninja / Ultra120 Extreme still rank amongst the highest?) ? I probably will be OCing it as well to 3 Ghz. Is it also possible to run the CPU fanless? ;)... I have a P182...

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:24 pm

:roll: well, running fanless is more of a personal tolerance for your computer. if you run a 7v fan on an Ultra-120 extreme, you'll achieve the greatest air cooling while not making much noise at the same time. if you want to run fanless, i think you'll want to look into something a bit bigger, however i'm not even sure the IFX-14 would be able to really pull that off.

i don't think you want to go fanless, but undervolted.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Well right now I am running my OC'd 3GHz E6600 with my XP120 and a Nexus 120mm @ 12V and it is perfectly fine to what I want. I really dont care about the fanless / fanned part, because I know my Nexus fan is really quiet to begin with.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm

for air cooling, the Ultra 120 extreme will be best for a Q6600, i know people who have broken past 3ghz on air with no problems using the 120. as per the ninja, its entirely possible, but i'm not sure how well it would go over. i mean, yea it would cool it very well, but i'm not sure if it would be as good as a 120 extreme.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:23 pm

With a low airflow fan like the Nexus at 5V, the Ninja's wide fin spacing makes it superior to the Ultra-120 Extreme (trust me - I know :wink:).

With a Nexus at 7V (inaudible) they perform about the same. The Thermalright loves higher airflow, so if you use anything faster/louder, the Ultra-120 Extreme will win. Whether it's worth the extra cash is another matter.

Passive - I just don't see the point. A good low speed fan is inaudible and cools much better than passive.