Thermalright bolt-thru kit +ninja Installation Questions

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Belinik

Thermalright bolt-thru kit +ninja Installation Questions

Post by Belinik » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:00 pm

I have purchased Thermalright bolt-thru + ninja rev B. However I am uncertain about how to install them.

System is 775 + P35-DS3R

- From thermalright's guide, I should not remove the plastic(both) from the backplate. But from the top, Am I supposed to put a spacer to prevent the metal screw/mount touching the board?

- I heard there are way to remove the 775 pushin pin without breaking the plastic/finger, thermalright's website is not pointing to the right page atm... anyone have the link?

- What is the thermal paste that is given by the ninja? or should I stick with AS5 and just land them on the cpu?

Any other precaution that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

bryan_d

Post by bryan_d » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I have installed the 775 Kit for my dad's Silent Whisper, and it has the same plate height and size as the Ninja's. I did not have to use any washers of any sort, as there was no direct contact between the HSF and the motherboard.

If you have AS5, then use it, because the paste that the Ninja arrives with is just plain silicon TIM.

As for maintaining the usability of your push pins, this is what I did with a small flat head screw driver:

Good luck,

bryan d

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:15 pm

-No spacer required on the top.

-Removing the pushpins I found very difficult. Since I did not plan on every using them again, I destroyed them, gleefully. It was very satisfying.

-Don't know what paste comes with the Ninja... if you have AS5, use it.

Belinik

Post by Belinik » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks, I figured out soon after about removing them. But ended up breaking 1 of them by accident.

I was somehow brain dead earlier today and totally forgot about screwing the bolt with screwdriver, I tried by hand and almost gave up :O (you need a long driver and not fat... took me 2 trip to hardware store =\ But after it's installed. it's really secure now.

Currently having fun trying to figure out how to arrange the cable in the P182, almost complete the build. Thanks again!