CPU Cooling Help !!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JackSmithxD

CPU Cooling Help !!

Post by JackSmithxD » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:58 am

I built my new computer and its awesome just my fans might be on the wrong way lmao..

Are they ment to blow air in or out :roll: :roll:

Ive got them basically mixed ! :o :o :o

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:44 am

Uhh...depends on what you want them to do.

Intakes blow air into the case, exhaust blows out.

Specs on your hardware are usually a good idea to include in your post so people know what the heck you're talking about.

Generally, in a standard tower case layout there is one or two intake fans in the front of the case, one exhaust fan in the rear. There also might be one exhaust fan in the top (blowhole).

The idea is to take in cold air and have it pass over as many components as possible with a little restrictions as possible before being exhausted higher up in the back of the case.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:48 am

Logically, since heat rises, you want air to come in somewhere near the bottom, go through the computer, then leave somewhere near the top.

What kind of case do you have?

Usually, cases have vents at the front in the bottom and in back near the top, so you'd put point the rear fan outwards and the front fan inwards.
Internal fans should also generally follow this flow, instead of trying to fight with the intake/exhaust fans.

I'm not sure which way is best for heatsink fans, but I always have them blow into the heat sink.