Temp separation between cores is bugging me!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yamahaSHO

Temp separation between cores is bugging me!

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 am

Howdy, in my main build I have always had a temperature separation between the two cores that has irritated me. I currently have a TRUE on my E6750. the TRUE was lapped from the company I purchased it from and this weekend, I finally got around to lapping my processor as it was convex (which is opposite from the E4500 I lapped that was concave).

Bottom line... At idle and moderate use, I just about always have a 5-6C separation between the two cores. While running Orthos (stock speed), the gap narrows to 3C of separation staying at 49C/52C (spike at 2C every now and again).

Tonight, I'm going to reapply AS5 again as mounting the heatsink causes some movement of the paste. Although I do not think this is the problem, it's worth another shot. I apply the AS5 per AS's website PDF instructions.

I have also considered picking up a Ninja to test with as they are fairly cheap. On my other build, I lapped my E4500 and with Minja (not lapped) I get no more than 1C of separation. Most of the time, especially in Orthos, the temps are tracking the same.

Any suggestions on things to try... Possibly this chip is always going to run like this?

Krumb

Post by Krumb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:16 pm

I think a slight temperature difference is very common. The sensors are not 100% accurate and there will be a tolerance but im not sure of how much. It looks like you have done alot of work to get the difference as low as you can, the only other thing i know of is to remove or resit the IHS which is a bit extreme for my liking.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 am

I only see two possible explanations, one is that the TRUE exercises uneven pressure on the CPU or that the TRUE's heatpipes aren't perfect.
The second hypothesis could be proved if you can turn the TRUE by 180 degrees and the temp differences between the cores switch.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:59 am

A couple degrees is common. Don't you ever notice that one core runs more than the other? I have Everest running in my Sidebar (updating every second) and Core 1 is usually doing a little more work than Core 2, but neither are maxed out. I usually show a 2-3C difference between the two at idle, but I use the main temp sensor anyway, not the core temps.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

I can go as high as 8C difference when the load is fairly equal and I have a 3C difference when maxing BOTH loads. MY E4500 will be spot on just about all the time.

sandman7777

Post by sandman7777 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:58 pm

My 6750 run pretty much equal with a Zalman 9700 but my E8400 runs off by 3c to 4c between cores and my P-D945 run the same both cores maybe off by 1c but no more usuall so it varies and I had a 5000+BE and it was off between the cores also by 2-3c these thing bug me also like trying to keep my mobo temps under 32c but on a hot day its hard had them up to 36c with ambient at 25.5 c today which still are not that bad of temps they say.