Antec solo cpu cooling advise

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

morgtom

Antec solo cpu cooling advise

Post by morgtom » Thu May 15, 2008 1:00 am

Hi, i have an Antec Solo, with a gigabyte P35 Ds4 Motherboard.

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU and putting in a new Q9450 CPU with a new heatsink. I intend to do some overclocking as well.

I have narrowed down my choice to these 3 coolers but i dont no however if they will fit in the Antec solo case with my motherboard.

So out of these three which do you think will be best? Money is not really an issue with this, just ease of install and performance.

Themeralright 120 ultra extreme with a scythe fan (slipstreem or sflex?)
Noctua NH-U12P with stock fan
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with scythe fan

Question: Do the slipstream fans have enough static presume for heatsink cooling or should i just go with the Sflex fan with lower CMF but higher static pressure? I intend to buy a 1200RPM fan and undervolt it to perhaps 800-1000RPM.

Now if there is another heatsink or fan that i should consider please do inform me.

Anyway thanks for your time
Tom

PaulShapiro

Post by PaulShapiro » Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 am

I have a Solo with the Themeralright 120 Ultra Extreme on an Asus P5K motherboard. The heat sink just BARELY fits. If I were doing it again I'd use something smaller. Current CPU's don't generate enough heat to require such massive cooling. The CPU fan speed is controlled by the motherboard and rarely gets above 500 rpm. CPU temps remain moderate, but that's without overclocking.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Thu May 15, 2008 4:21 am

The TRUE appears to be a fairly high impedance load for the fan. My calculations show 76% open surface area. Of the few units I have calculated, the TRUE is among the tightest.

Static Pressure should be a prime consideration for a high impedance load. In 120mm fans, these are the Kama Ultra Kaze, Silverstone FM12x, and various Panaflo fans. There are probably others, but these are the top of the pressure specs that I have recorded. I saw a very good review on the FM12x fans.

morgtom

Post by morgtom » Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, and i think i will go with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. This heatsinks looks much smaller than the TRUE and scores well with low RPM. Will it be much easier to install do you think? Would it be worth getting an additional bolt through kit?

For this heatsink would the scythe Kama Ultra Kaze fan be most suited?

Thanks guys!

Also, has there been any comparison with the Kama Ultra kaze and sflex on heatsinks? That would be an interesting read..

Tom

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 16, 2008 4:17 am

Hello Tom,

I think the Thermalright bolt-through kit would be a good idea. While the Xigmatek is lighter weight than the other high performance towers, it still can benefit from better mounting than the stock pins can provide.