new thermalright HTPC heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Re: An understanding of aerodynamics may help here...

Post by spookmineer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Shingoshi wrote:Wings with narrow chords move air across them with greater speed. That's because they have the lowest resistance of wings with wider chords.
There are no curves in the fins of a heatsink. Locally, the air across (above?) a wing moves faster than the air below it, but this has a function: to create lift. There is no special geometry in fins, the speed will be the same at either side, but will decrease because of drag if fins are longer.
With sailplanes it makes sense to reduce drag, high aspect ratio wings are more efficient, because the lift/drag ratio is higher.
Maybe that's why heatsinks like the TRUE are performing so well, with their high aspect ratio fins :D
Shingoshi wrote:Laminar flow is essential to whether the wing is likely to stall at higher angles of attack.
Usually, the angle of attack in a heatsink is zero. Fans are mounted perpendicular to the fins of the heatsink.
Shingoshi wrote:Wider spacing of the fins would create greater turbulence. More turbulence = lower airspeed.
If so, the biggest turbulence would happen if the fins were miles apart: if only 1 fin would be on a heatsink. I don't think a single fin would create more turbulence than a bunch of them.
Also, just 1 fin would mean the least obstruction to airflow, so this will remain almost the same. With lots of fins, I can imagine the airspeed to drop.
Shingoshi wrote:The wider the fins, the lower the airspeed. So again, wider fins don't work.
Do you mean wider fins as in thicker, or wider fin spacing as in the distance between them?

Turbulent air will also be more noisy, and that is what Neil pointed out: "Closely spaced fins = noisier HSF", and as you say, "increasing the depth of the fins would be less efficient".
It is less efficient, up to the point where making fins deeper to increase total area, will cause air to become turbulent, which is what we don't want.

Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:48 pm

spookmineer wrote:
Shingoshi wrote:Wings with narrow chords move air across them with greater speed. That's because they have the lowest resistance of wings with wider chords.
There are no curves in the fins of a heatsink. Locally, the air across (above?) a wing moves faster than the air below it, but this has a function: to create lift. There is no special geometry in fins, the speed will be the same at either side, but will decrease because of drag if fins are longer.
With sailplanes it makes sense to reduce drag, high aspect ratio wings are more efficient, because the lift/drag ratio is higher.
Maybe that's why heatsinks like the TRUE are performing so well, with their high aspect ratio fins :D
Shingoshi wrote:Laminar flow is essential to whether the wing is likely to stall at higher angles of attack.
Usually, the angle of attack in a heatsink is zero. Fans are mounted perpendicular to the fins of the heatsink.
Shingoshi wrote:Wider spacing of the fins would create greater turbulence. More turbulence = lower airspeed.
If so, the biggest turbulence would happen if the fins were miles apart: if only 1 fin would be on a heatsink. I don't think a single fin would create more turbulence than a bunch of them.
Also, just 1 fin would mean the least obstruction to airflow, so this will remain almost the same. With lots of fins, I can imagine the airspeed to drop.
Shingoshi wrote:The wider the fins, the lower the airspeed. So again, wider fins don't work.
Do you mean wider fins as in thicker, or wider fin spacing as in the distance between them?

Turbulent air will also be more noisy, and that is what Neil pointed out: "Closely spaced fins = noisier HSF", and as you say, "increasing the depth of the fins would be less efficient".
It is less efficient, up to the point where making fins deeper to increase total area, will cause air to become turbulent, which is what we don't want.
Very good points raised here!
1. I thought about the absence of complex geometry on fins. You're right, the air moves with equal speed on both sides of each fin. Mostly, I was concerned with the chord of the fins. Specifically, that they are narrow. I looked at the TRUE to see what you meant. Interestingly, the TRUE seems to have a wider chord, based on the images alone.

1a. From the description of the TRUE:
The Ultra-120 utilizes the winglet design helping to minimize air resistance and maximize wind air flow.
2. The point I was making about laminar flow, wasn't well defined. Maybe I shouldn't have raised it.

3. Fin spacing: No point in irrelevant exaggeration here. We were talking about a finite number of fins in a relatively small region (the intake area). The intake area of the heatsink isn't (likely) going to be increased. And I think everyone here expected that (intake) region to divided by a smaller number of fins, to obtain a wider spacing. The expected trade-off, was the need to increase the depth of the fins to maintain the same surface area of each fin.

4. I meant wider, as in the spacing between the fins. Sorry about the lack of clarity. I meant that if you increase the spacing between the fins (with surfaces equally smooth), there might or should be an increase in the turbulence.

5. I think the fins spacing would have more to do with pitch than volume. I think that if you blow air at a constant rate through tubes of different width, the narrower tube produces a higher pitch, while the wider tube produces a lower pitch. So I think the sound we be different in terms of pitch (frequency), not volume (decibels). Although, I guess the volume could also be lower from the wider tube, due to a greater drop in air pressure. (see below)

One thing I do know. The wider spacing between the fins would require greater pressure to maintain the air velocity. Which we couldn't do with identical fans. So two heatsinks with identical fans pushing air through each heatsink (one heatsink with narrow spacing and the other heatsink with wider spacing), the wider spacing would (should) have a greater drop in air pressure, between the intake and exhaust ends. And that greater pressure drop would reduce the airspeed of the exhaust. So the adjacent components wouldn't be cooled as effectively. But I could be wrong.

Ah crap! There are too many things to consider here! Would the heatsink with narrower fin spacing and a possibly higher pitch, be an indication of higher efficiency? Wouldn't lower efficiency mean higher temperatures? Do you want to trade off higher efficiency for lower noise?

Considering that the AXP-140 is sold as a passive cooler, with the option of active cooling (with a fan), I think the fin spacing was chosen accordingly. The less distance the air has to move to reach the edge of the fin, the quicker that air can escape the heatsink.

Ah, forget it! :oops:

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Shingoshi

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks for the reply.

1. The TRUE does have a wider chord than the AXP-140, I meant generally, tower heatsinks have a smaller chord than the more square heatsinks.
Shingoshi wrote:One thing I do know. The wider spacing between the fins would require greater pressure to maintain the air velocity. Which we couldn't do with identical fans. So two heatsinks with identical fans pushing air through each heatsink (one heatsink with narrow spacing and the other heatsink with wider spacing), the wider spacing would (should) have a greater drop in air pressure, between the intake and exhaust ends. And that greater pressure drop would reduce the airspeed of the exhaust. So the adjacent components wouldn't be cooled as effectively. But I could be wrong.
Intuitively, this doesn't make sense to me... Even if my explanation is an exaggeration, I think it still holds: in front of a heatsink (or behind it), there are no fins, the air moves at equal speed here because there is no obstruction present [not saying the speed in front and behind a heatsink is the same]. Adding a SATA cable in front of a heatsink will already have influence on the airflow, let alone all the fins in the heatsink itself.
Elijah86 wrote:each fin is grossly 1.5mm apart (including fin thickness). When taking fin thickness into count, the actual air space between each fin is about 1.10mm."
This roughly means, the fins obstruct 0.4/1.5 of the intake area: 26.7 %. Any obstruction means pressure loss, the more fluid is in direct contact with a stationary object, the less overall speed will remain, even when the fluid has passed this obstruction.
Inside the heatsink, the airspeed might go up a bit because it has to pass through a smaller area, but when the air leaves the heatsink the airspeed will have dropped quite a bit if the heatsink forms a large obstruction.
A heatsink with tightly spaced fins also has more contact area, increasing drag and reducing air speed.
If you hook up a garden hose to a water tap and let it run, pinching the hose halfway (creating an obstruction) will decrease the amount of water coming out at the end. "Pinching" it right on top of the nozzle with your thumb will increase the waterspeed, but only because the area the water has to pass has decreased, and also the total volume of water exiting the hose - if you measure it, you will see the amount of water will still be less when compared to no obstruction at all.

I agree, there are many variables, but tightly spaced fins will (on one hand) need a stronger fan to press the air through a heatsink, and (on the other hand) will need a less stronger fan because the heatsink will be more efficient. Tightly spaced fins do make more noise though.

Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:11 pm

spookmineer wrote:Thanks for the reply.

1. The TRUE does have a wider chord than the AXP-140, I meant generally, tower heatsinks have a smaller chord than the more square heatsinks.
Shingoshi wrote:One thing I do know. The wider spacing between the fins would require greater pressure to maintain the air velocity. Which we couldn't do with identical fans. So two heatsinks with identical fans pushing air through each heatsink (one heatsink with narrow spacing and the other heatsink with wider spacing), the wider spacing would (should) have a greater drop in air pressure, between the intake and exhaust ends. And that greater pressure drop would reduce the airspeed of the exhaust. So the adjacent components wouldn't be cooled as effectively. But I could be wrong.
Intuitively, this doesn't make sense to me... Even if my explanation is an exaggeration, I think it still holds: in front of a heatsink (or behind it), there are no fins, the air moves at equal speed here because there is no obstruction present [not saying the speed in front and behind a heatsink is the same]. Adding a SATA cable in front of a heatsink will already have influence on the airflow, let alone all the fins in the heatsink itself.
Didn't I say all of this is confusing! Part of the problem is that I'm not always good at explaining myself. I was thinking that if you have two tubes of different diameters (representing the different fin spacings), the larger diameter tube will have greater cubic volume than the smaller diameter tube. If you blow the same volume of air through both tubes (using an identical fan at constant pressure), I think the pressure will be lower at the exhaust end of the tube with the larger diameter (ie. wider fin spacing) than the tube with the smaller diameter (ie. narrower fin spacing). But you may also be right. Because the wider fin spacing being less restrictive, may allow a higher velocity through the heatsink. I really hopes this makes better sense now. Because I give up. I did say it's complex.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Shingoshi

charonme

what about AM2

Post by charonme » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 am

I don't get it. Is there some anti-AMD conspiracy I'm not aware of? Or nobody uses AMD cpus for HTPCs anymore? Why noone even tried to use the AM2 boltthru kit with the AXP-140 ? Does it fit? Come on people!

Shingoshi

Re: what about AM2

Post by Shingoshi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:44 pm

charonme wrote:I don't get it. Is there some anti-AMD conspiracy I'm not aware of? Or nobody uses AMD cpus for HTPCs anymore? Why noone even tried to use the AM2 boltthru kit with the AXP-140 ? Does it fit? Come on people!
If no one wants to marry a fat girl, does that mean there's a conspiracy against fat girls? No! It just means no one wants to marry a fat girl!

Shingoshi

charonme

Post by charonme » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 am

Shingoshi wrote:does that mean there's a conspiracy against fat girls?
Hehe you probably didn't finish reading my post till the end :)
If you applied your example to my post, then my post is true. Observe: There is a conspiracy against fat girls OR noone likes having fat girls for wives any more.

However I still don't get your comparison of AMD to fat girls. I understand you probably have a personal prejudice against AMD perhaps in favor of Intel. Do you wish to imply there are more efficient Intel CPU, chipset and IGP combinations than for AMD?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:25 am

IMHO: AMD is better in HTPC due more flexible and better chipsets. Intel is better in heavy number's crunching and heavy duty work like gaming, design and graphics program's.

in server side however, what I've heard from my friends, read articles and slight experience myself is that Xeon's are not really challenging new Opteron's which seem to be superior in many aspects over current Xeon line.

Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 am

charonme wrote:
Shingoshi wrote:does that mean there's a conspiracy against fat girls?
Hehe you probably didn't finish reading my post till the end :)
If you applied your example to my post, then my post is true. Observe: There is a conspiracy against fat girls OR noone likes having fat girls for wives any more.

However I still don't get your comparison of AMD to fat girls. I understand you probably have a personal prejudice against AMD perhaps in favor of Intel. Do you wish to imply there are more efficient Intel CPU, chipset and IGP combinations than for AMD?
None of the above! I was being RUDE and having fun being so! Just for perspective here, I am an AMD Opteron user. Check out this link as proof of that:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboar ... s4980.html
You can't get more AMD than that!

Shingoshi

charonme

Post by charonme » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 am

Shingoshi wrote:I was being RUDE
fair enough :D

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 am

charonme wrote:Do you wish to imply there are more efficient Intel CPU, chipset and IGP combinations than for AMD?
Intel + Nvidia is very good, something that most people here forget. Only problem is that a 9300 motherboard is more expensive than a 780G, but it also have a 50% faster IGP in 3D, and lower power consumption during HD playback.

Shingoshi

I just ordered my Thermalright AXP-140!!

Post by Shingoshi » Tue May 05, 2009 11:50 am

I just ordered my Thermalright AXP-140!!
Hopefully I will get it by Friday. If by some chance I get it before then and I get it installed, I will post my results here. I'm really hoping to get my speeds much higher than they are now. But given my luck with all of this, I won't hold my breath. I just hope the Scythe Kaze Maru @1900rpm will give me enough air to breathe better!

Shingoshi

Edit: I just got my order confirmation. I won't get my heatsink until next Tuesday! Cra-ap!

Shingoshi

I found one single piece of software was raising my temps!

Post by Shingoshi » Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 pm

I found out that only one single piece of software was raising my temps! That was kind of annoying. But I did lower my temps. I brought this new heatsink just because I thought my temps were unsafe. But it's true, I also wanted to try getting higher clock speeds. Before killing that app, which ran in my KDE panel, my temps were seldom below 50C on the ACPI. After killing it, the temps dropped down to @42C! My temps were as high as 55C. That one app was consuming that much in CPU resources. And it was confirmed by others in an IRC support channel.

So now I want to know, how much lower does anyone think I should be able to get my temps. On average, what has been the recorded drop in temps any of you have experienced?

Shingoshi

For Linux users. That app (actually a Plasma applet) in question was Lancelot, the KDE menu alternative. If you're running it, stop it. And then check how much lower your temps fall. I can't be the only Linux user who overclocks, am I?

Shingoshi

I've got my AXP-140 and the Kaze Maru 1900rpm...

Post by Shingoshi » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

First of all, when I started the computer, I really couldn't hear much of the fan. I actually wondered if it was even spinning. So my choice for a fan was perfect. Then I noticed that my board temps were indeed lower. Much lower.
So I'm posting the pics here of the before and after. And I haven't changed any settings yet, for better comparison.

These are my temps before the AXP-140:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5323/b ... esktop.jpg

These are my temps shortly after restarting with the AXP-140:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5323/b ... esktop.jpg

The temps had migrated upwards a bit. But have now settled back down close to where these were after restart. My fan is running at @1850rpm. So I can't do anything there about raising the speed. It's essentially maxed out now. And no real noticeable noise.

I'm going to let the paste settle a while longer before raising my clock speed.

Shingoshi

[Edit by Mod: the images are too large by the forum rules, and the temp info contained was a small minority of the image -- please crop them so they at least meet the maximum size.] viewtopic.php?t=16587

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Re: I've got my AXP-140 and the Kaze Maru 1900rpm...

Post by spookmineer » Wed May 13, 2009 2:08 pm

Shingoshi wrote:My fan is running at @1850rpm.
And no real noticeable noise.
:?:

Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi » Wed May 13, 2009 3:06 pm

spookmineer wrote:
Shingoshi wrote:My fan is running at @1850rpm.
And no real noticeable noise.
:?:
What did you not get? When I installed the heatsink and fan, turned on the computer, I could barely hear the fan. The sound was so low, that I wasn't sure it was actually running. I don't know what more to say about that.

As far as my temps go, they're absolutely fabulous. I just now opened Firefox to answer this remark. When I did, the onboard chipset temps jumped up to 44C while Firefox was loading. But then again, I do have 133 tabs open. So a big load should be expected there. But as soon as all the tabs were loaded, the temps dropped right back down to 35C. Considering that they used to go as high as 52C, that's simply amazing! Needless to say, I'm very happy. I wanted to get my clock higher than it is now (at 3050MHz), but this lousy EVGA 730i board wouldn't allow me to.

I have my voltage up to 1.35v, and I can't get anything above my present speed to be stable.

Shingoshi

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Shingoshi wrote:What did you not get? When I installed the heatsink and fan, turned on the computer, I could barely hear the fan. The sound was so low, that I wasn't sure it was actually running. I don't know what more to say about that.
A fan running at 1850 RPM will approximately produce 35-40 dB(A) at 1 meter. Something else is even making more noise than that if you can't tell if it's running or not.

We may be on different sides of the spectrum, this is where I am: you can hear my clock ticking.

Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi » Wed May 13, 2009 5:41 pm

spookmineer wrote:
Shingoshi wrote:What did you not get? When I installed the heatsink and fan, turned on the computer, I could barely hear the fan. The sound was so low, that I wasn't sure it was actually running. I don't know what more to say about that.
A fan running at 1850 RPM will approximately produce 35-40 dB(A) at 1 meter. Something else is even making more noise than that if you can't tell if it's running or not.

We may be on different sides of the spectrum, this is where I am: you can hear my clock ticking.
Perspective Please!
Even if the fan should be more audible than I thought, does that have greater significance than the lower temps I've been able to acquire from it? Granted, I have an old Emachines computer that is the loudest one in the room. I have multiple computers all sitting on the same desk, and the Emachines computer does pretty much drown out any other in proximity. The bottom line is that whatever sound level being produced by the Kaze Maru at 1850rpm, isn't enough for me to be concerned about. I concede now that there is a noticeable sound from that fan. But as discussed before, it's more of a low frequency hum. It is nothing compared to the Dynatron I had on my Opteron board.

Now, please offer some comments about my temps. I'm still having lock-ups that occur. The crazy thing is, the temps never go high at all. So I have no idea why my system locks-up.

Edit: I finally had to drop my clock again. It's now running at 3011MHz. I really think this EVGA 730i board is the culprit here. The BIOS reports contradicting clock speeds. The board is only supposed to double the FSB that is set. Right now, my FSB is 1506MHz. But the board says it should be @3400MHz, not the 3011 that it really should be. This buggy characteristic has been reported elsewhere by other users with this board. So I don't expect I will ever see better results than these.

Shingoshi

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 am

Maybe your lockups is not from the temps. Maybe it's from the bad overclock?

Shingoshi

That seems to be obvious...

Post by Shingoshi » Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am

CyberDog wrote:Maybe your lockups is not from the temps. Maybe it's from the bad overclock?
That seems to be obvious...
I just don't think that anything can be done about it. The EVGA 730i board, is essentially an orphaned product. I think they realized they screwed up, and decided to let it go. There haven't been any BIOS updates for it either.

The way the board gives contradicting outputs about clock speed is indication of it's failed design.

Shingoshi

Shingoshi

Would someone please explain this to me???

Post by Shingoshi » Sat May 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Why does one core always run at a different temperature than the others? And always at a constant 40C? I don't think I've ever seen the core that runs at 40C ever fluctuate. And the core (1-4) changes from one boot to another. So no single core is the one always running at that temp.

Shingoshi

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 am

So is anybody using it? It looks more compact than the Scythe Zipang -- total height ~10cm including the fan and breathing space! But AM2 mounting kit is only available in Germany?

http://www.thermalright.de/Kuehler/Zube ... P-140.html