Will SPCR review Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer or Xigmatek?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TigerFlash18

Will SPCR review Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer or Xigmatek?

Post by TigerFlash18 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:49 am

Frostytech seems to be very thorough with testing their heatsinks, but a few things bother me with their measurements. The biggest issue I have right now with them is how the thermal right ultra 120 is beating the extreme version. They did explain in their review that they did use different fans, and I'm really wondering just how much they change their setups because IMO any change in the setup will bias the results.

I want to see another site like SPCR reviewing these heat sinks, who constantly try to keep the experiment as controlled as possible. I would love to see the guys at SPCR scrutinizing frostytech's reviews of the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283.
Last edited by TigerFlash18 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:06 pm

SVC? The only SVC I know of is a retail store. You want to get yer reviews from a retail store?? :roll:

Regarding your request for a Xigmatek S1283 review, I assume you did not like the original SPCR review, and want them to do it again, only better? :P

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Two words. Sample variance. You need to take even SPCR reviews with a grain of salt. Many people who bought Ninja Rev B were terribly disappointed, because they made their decision based on the SPCR Ninja review...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Erssa wrote:Two words. Sample variance. You need to take even SPCR reviews with a grain of salt. Many people who bought Ninja Rev B were terribly disappointed, because they made their decision based on the SPCR Ninja review...
The Ninja we reviewed was the original with "native" 478 clips, and I don't think it was much better than other samples of the same model. It's when the B version came with its 775- pushpin mounting that users' experience started o differ significantly from ours.

But this was not sample variance, it was essentially two different HS. (If you accept our PoV that mounting systems are integral to heatsinks & their performance) When the mounting system changed, at least on the 775 socket, the amount of pressure between base & CPU dropped significantly -- and also became much less consistent from user to user because sometimes the pushpins aren't fully engaged and an inexperience user can'talways tell.

Anyway, that was not a case of sample variance. We should have just tested a B version completely sooner. It did get done in the context of the Ninja Copper.

TigerFlash18

Post by TigerFlash18 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:03 pm

When I posted I hadn't realized SPCR (sorry not SVC) had already reviewed the Xigmatech, it looks like the TRUE narrowly won. I like SPCR's review more than Frostytech's because they used the same setup. Now, all I want to see is a review of the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer! Xigmatech is coming out with a version exactly like the Sunbeam model too with another heatpipe added on and the true black version of the TRUE is also coming out (though there is really no difference other than the color), maybe a triple side-by-side review with these three would be interesting?