TRUE vs bolt-thru Ninja rev.B

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

farns

TRUE vs bolt-thru Ninja rev.B

Post by farns » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Anyone firsthand compared the Ultra-Extreme vs Ninja rev.B (with thermalright bolt-thru kit)?
Because the official SPCR review only feature the Ninja rev.A and the Copper Ninja (with intel push pins).

Just wondering which is best passive or at 5v.

My current setup is SLK3000B (grills and filters removed), 2 x 500 rpm slipstreams and TRUE with 500 rpm slipstream. HDD softmounted and PSU is NeoHe 430w (near-silent but pathetic for exhaust, compared to Corsair HX)
Hardware is overclocked E4300 and 9600GT easily cooled by passive Accelero S1 (via case intake fan)

If the Ninja performs as well as my TRUE under passive or very low airflow I would replace it as its probably less obstructive for case airflow and I can also mount a tall NB HS.

Edit: My other near-passive options would be Xigmatek S1283 or new HR-01 plus but they are hard to find here, whereas Ninjas are everywhere

farns

Post by farns » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:34 pm

I didnt search hard enough, seems the Rev.B is inferior even with a bolt-thru kit.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article805-page6.html

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:13 am

Hi,

I don't think an overclocked E4300 will "stress" a Ninja, with the bolt through.

krille

Post by krille » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 am

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 am

Read the SPCR reviews on these coolers. Mike does an excellent job of pointing out which coolers are optimal for undervolting and/or passive.

IMO, the Scythe coolers should all be mounted using a bolt-through kit. I use the Thermalright LGA-775 kit for my Zipangs. This kit is a HUGE pain in the butt, but entirely worth the effort. I have not done comparison testing with the same cooler, but my gut feeling tells me the Zipang runs cooler using the bolt-through kit.

Scythe says they are going to release a new mounting kit "soon". That would be a vast improvement, as these coolers are too large for the cheesy push-pin mounting system. IMO, you have to have the board out anyway, because with PP, you must verify correct seating of the expansion pins on the board reverse side.

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am

Farns (edited),
If you are currently using a TRUE, I don't know if any of these coolers will buy you any more room for your NB sink. I know the HR01 plus has about 40mm of clearance from the bottom of the sink but not sure about the Ninja.

Your TRUE is already a fantastic HSF- unless you are trying to run it completely passive... The Zypang has even more room under it than most of the tower coolers so you could ask Bgavin about that.
Last edited by velvet45 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 am

The Zipang sits up high enough where the wings cover the north bridge and VRM. It does not interfere with tall (52mm) XMS-DHX memory on the IP35 Pro board.

A full pictorial with measurements can be found here

krille

Post by krille » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 am

velvet45 wrote:Krille,
If you are currently using a TRUE, I don't know if any of these coolers will buy you any more room for your NB sink. I know the HR01 plus has about 40mm of clearance from the bottom of the sink but not sure about the Ninja.

Your TRUE is already a fantastic HSF- unless you are trying to run it completely passive... The Zypang has even more room under it than most of the tower coolers so you could ask Bgavin about that.
Huh?

Are you sure you're referring to me and not the OP? I'm currently not using a TRUE, I think. I honestly can't remember what I'm using. I think it's either a Ninja or a Big Typhoon.

I agree the TRUE is a fantastic HSF (as long as you got a fan attached). I may be getting one for my new gaming system though (still haven't decided for sure between the TRUE and the HR-01 Plus). I'm definitely getting an HR-01 Plus for another office system I'm building though.

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

A little off-topic, but where would you get a bolt-through kit for the Ninja? I've looked around performance-pcs a little and couldn't readily find one.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm

elemental wrote:A little off-topic, but where would you get a bolt-through kit for the Ninja? I've looked around performance-pcs a little and couldn't readily find one.
thermalright bolthru-kit for LGA 775 is usually used for Ninja.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html thing like this

farns

Post by farns » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for opinions, when I meant northbridge HS clearance, I meant Im after something narrower than the TRUE so I can fit a Thermalright HR-05 (or whatever) on the NB.
It looks like a Ninja is a fair bit narrower and may fit it, the Xigmatek and HR-01 arent significantly narrower than the TRUE iirc.
Also a HS with wide fine spacing like Ninja (or HR-01plus) appeals as less obstructive for general case temps.

I might try the Ninja w/ bolt-thru as like Neil said, hopefully it will cool an OC'd E4300 anyway (albeit a few degrees higher maybe). As far as future-proofing the HS Id be upgrading to an E7xxx CPU which uses even less power than the E4300 , Im loving these Core CPUs :wink:
The next CPUs after that (Nehalem) use a different socket so existing HS's wont fit anyway unless adapters are possible

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:44 pm

thejamppa wrote:
elemental wrote:A little off-topic, but where would you get a bolt-through kit for the Ninja? I've looked around performance-pcs a little and couldn't readily find one.
thermalright bolthru-kit for LGA 775 is usually used for Ninja.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html thing like this
Thanks!!