P3 Slot1 Fanless: How to monitor temperature

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Calm

P3 Slot1 Fanless: How to monitor temperature

Post by Calm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi,

Computer: IBM Intellistation MPro 6868, P3 933 Mhz, 784 MB Ram, 2 IDE drives. One case fan (Antec set on medium speed) and one fan inside the PSU.

The heat sink has been replaced by a bigger one and is now running fanless. Here is the post where forum members has helped me for the heat sink replacement: viewtopic.php?p=418131#418131

I don't know of any automatic software or sensor to allow the monitoring of the temperature of this IBM machine. I have empirically sense the temperature with my fingers. It ran from warm when the computer is idle to very warm (painful if I keep the a firm skin contact for 10+ seconds) when running intensive tasks like Stress Prime 2004.

Now I close the case and wonder if there would be any risk. The CPU can die but I certainly don't want it to set the house on fire when I am away.

Q1. Does a P3/933 Slot 1 knows how to shut itself off when the core reaches critical temperature?

Q2. I have read on some articles that a hot CPU will reduce its lifespan. According to specs ( http://processorfinder.intel.com/Detail ... Spec=SL448 ) this CPU can run 75°C max. I don't have an instrument to measure the physical temperature. Is there a way to estimate the core temperature by some practical tricks? Something like "touch firmly the area of the heat sink close to the CPU, if the feeling is hot then CPU was 75°C". I know it's very subjective but I hope you get the idea.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:41 am

Lots of software out there than can get temperature data from the motherboard: Motherboard Monitor, SpeedFan, Everest. You'll have to test them out to see if they'll work with your mobo temp sensors.

As for Q1 and Q2...

Q1: I don't think the P3 had thermal protection. I think throttling was introduced with the P4.

Q2: You can purchase a cheap IR gun at many auto parts stores for ~$20-30. I think they can be quite useful for lots of things.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:06 pm

have you tried speedfan? i know that it works for my P3 Xeon rig very well.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:50 pm

I've tried speedfan with my pentium 3 and it didn't register for some reason. :?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Echo??

Speedfan only works with certain onboard temp sensors, so platform can be irrelevant, it depends on the motherboard OEM and the parts they decide to use.

Calm

Post by Calm » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 pm

bonestonne wrote:have you tried speedfan? i know that it works for my P3 Xeon rig very well.
I have read the specs. Speedfan works with certain chipsets. Mine is IBM, Board & Bios, unfortunately not supported by Speedfan.

In anyway, I am very willing to take the risk of running this CPU fanless. This weekend I am going to try a funny operation. I will put a few drops of white egg on the heat sink and will stress the CPU with Stress Prime.

Any one to venture a guess if the egg will be cooked or not?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am

hmm...if you were using a Pentium II Xeon, i'd say in seconds...i have a pair of those...overheated in 4 minutes in my garage in the middle of the winter...it was 19 degrees F when i started, those bad boys (running two) got past 60C in 3 minutes, one stress test and it was over.

just watch out for the board....i wouldn't even want to guess what eggs can do to a motherboard.