from push pin to bolt-thru -- how to get pushpins out?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elemental

from push pin to bolt-thru -- how to get pushpins out?

Post by elemental » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm switching from a push pin mounting kit to a bolt-through, but since the bolt-thru kit only has the backplate I need to keep the top plate from the pushpin kit. Ergo the pushpins need to go.

How do people usually do this? Do you just cut them? Or is there a way to take a push pin apart?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Hello,

You can twist the center, and then lift the bit on the side with a small straight screwdriver, and then push/pull it out. It bends part of the plastic, but it didn't break anything.

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks for the instructions! i figured it out after a moment of o_O. unfortunately, i used needle-nose pliers and i did break one of them. oh well, i doubt i'll be reusing them ever again. i had a hell of a time getting the intel stock HSF onto my Q6600 in the first place, and i swore i'd never do it again :P

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 am

I tried for about twelve seconds to get them out without damaging them and then reached for the wire cutters :) The bolt-thru worked so well I don't anticipate ever wishing I'd saved the pins.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:20 am

If you are concerned about breaking the tab, soak the unit in hot water first. Plastic is much more foregiving if it is warmed up.

While removing pins from my Zipang bracket, I broke 1 of 4 pins. Patience is a virtue here.

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am

Too late, they've long since been yoinked out with one broken tab and several chipped 'hooks' *LOL*

And yeah, honestly, if I had been able to cut them easily I would have. Alas, all I had on hand were a pair of (dull) scissors. I have small wire cutters somewhere, but it would've probably been more trouble to dig them out.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 pm

bgavin wrote:If you are concerned about breaking the tab, soak the unit in hot water first. Plastic is much more foregiving if it is warmed up.
This works for those stupid little nuts that hold the bolts for license plates on newer cars. I had to change my plate when it was 40F out and broke the two that were in there and three more when trying to push the new ones into the holes.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:40 am

Unfortunately, one does have to have the right tools for the job.

One of those tools is a dental pick. If you are friendly with your dentist, as him for a few of his discarded picks. The typical dental office goes through them very quickly, so they always have used ones in the the junk drawer. These are *much* higher quality than Harbor Freight picks.

If you are over 30 or have bad eye sight (I have both problems), buy a $12 set of jeweler magnifier clip-ons for your glasses. These let me work about 12" away from the work, and I can see well up close. This helps reduce the frustration level (a lot). The side benefit is the job does not get broken nearly as much.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 am

i'm a neurology grad student, so i can actually get my hands on some pretty fine tools. the problem is more patience and willingness to wait until i have the tools, for me. usually i just decide f' it and use whatever's on hand. it's not a big deal when it's stuff i'm going to toss out anyway, like these pushpins. however, i did screw up the custom paintjob on my case because i flipped the lid facedown before it was fully dry to paint the underside, and then the newspaper glommed onto the paint.

doh!!

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 am

The intel push pin's can be removed by rotating them 90degrees, (I thought in the oposite direction as the arrow is indicating).
Then you can pull them out easily without problems. They are designed to be removable in this way. No special tools required.
I have tested it with the scythe ninja and the original intel cooler. Getting them out is almost easier then getting them in ;)